It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Courses On The PS2!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Okay-Okay..LAUGH IF YOU WANT...but I want to contact somebody and find out about the viablility of producing High School courses for all of the popular game systems.
Simply keep your scores on the memory card...mail it in...and maybe get a diploma from Sony, or Nintendo, or somebody! At least make a GED course for all these game systems.

Perhaps we could start even earlier, like MiddleSchool. Personally, I think the education software we're capable of writing in this country can blow a dulldrum classroom setting right out of the water!

What do you think?

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
LOL I admit, Intresting theory, but you also have the thought of what if someone cheated and let someone else get the High scores and you take all the credit for it. that wouldnt nessarily be fair to any aspect.

And on a further note, some summer school programs already do that.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
If it was done as a computer class that seriously discussed the technology and programming behind the systems, I think it'd be a great idea actually.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Actually, djohn, I was thinking in terms of Class curriculum in game format. Certainly these companies can come up with games that teach Math, English, History, and Social Studies. (Certainly, the programming of such stuff can come into play. My grandson learned PowerPoint in school...in the Seventh grade!)

Not to mention that these game systems RARELY crash, are now priced at a dime a dozen, and depending on which system the kid has at home, he could simply take his homework home on a memory card!

Actually, a lot of game companies now write for many different systems. Make THAT a prerequisite for selling to the schools. IT MUST BE AVAILABLE ON ALL SYSTEMS.

At the very least, THIS deserves a pilot program.

[edit on 12-3-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I don't understand programming you do, you and a friend should patent it and try to make history actually accurate this time, not the BS they teach in public schools. Besides I've been viewing posters on here for years, you deserve some $ and should write a pilot with a friend or two, before you sell it or whatever.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by BSB2005
I don't understand programming you do, you and a friend should patent it and try to make history actually accurate this time, not the BS they teach in public schools. Besides I've been viewing posters on here for years, you deserve some $ and should write a pilot with a friend or two, before you sell it or whatever.

It already is patented...don't you remember Reader Rabbit???? Geesh you young whipper-snappers don't remember the good old days of Windows 3.1, 16-Bit Color teaching

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
This is why I love this site!

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
nah, dont think that'd be a good idea. our school actually has an independent study class where you take all the time to make some sort of project. I'm sure game design can be one of those projects.

In most cases, the class would be pretty ineffective and a waste of time, as games are.

Dont get me wrong, i love Halflife and all its mods, i play them, but they do waste time that could be spent doing other things.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Sounds like a good idea, but the hardest part of getting it to work would be getting the children to use it, instead of playing a fun game.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Well the way to do it is to make a game that is Educational and fun. Fun should be an integral part of teaching. How to do it I have no Idea. It would not work with Mainstream games, or any of the other crappy educational games out there now. HL2(the Engine) actually can be used to teach Phsyics, it is very realistic and can be modded to be non-violent. I just think that we need to open our eyes to some of the possibilities technology has brought into our lives and USE it for the betterment of the students. It's a good idea IMO.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Maybe it REALLY IS just me, but if Squaresoft can create Final Fantasy XI Online, which is a 4 Gigabyte game...SURELY...they can incorporate Fun with Education. Now, I want to reiderate that these should be, first and foremost, High School Courses (At least the basics...English, Math, History, and Social Studies.) Any kid that aces these games should, logically, ace a GED test.

Come on, people! Let's make it happen!

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   
sounds great, im gonna head over to suchandsuch.com and get the cheats for gr 12 algebra.

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
one word ""Game Genie!!!""

posted on Aug, 25 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Hmmm... I have some fond memories of "The Oregon Trail", but I think the real idea here would be making something fun and educational at the same time. Usually these types of games let you do something fun for a while, then make you do some totally unrelated math problem or something to continue. The trick is to make the subject relevant to the game, which is tough because fun games are usually based on object collisions, not allowing much contemplation of anything else. And you cant really patent a general idea.

posted on Aug, 26 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This sounds like a great idea, but I have two words that blow it out of the water:

"Game Shark"

You can patch memory, and in so doing, you can change your scores or even what you have done.

On the other hand, though, if you made it where the information was stored on a centralized database where you wouldn't be able to cheat (without committing a felony), it might work. EQ does this, and it is probably pretty stable and secure. Then you just have to come up with ideas.

One game from waaaaay back in the day for the Apple ][ that was a learning blast (heh) was Math Blaster. That game was a shooter where your ammo was math. Another one that I enjoy playing even today is that Typer Shark game, teaches or hones your typing skills while you get to slaughter a massive amount of sharks.

There have been a lot of fun games out there that incorporated learning into an exciting game. One that never got made but I really wish had was Mathman. Y'all remember that short on that one math show on PBS way back when?

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
My grandson learned PowerPoint in school...in the Seventh grade!)

your a grandma, and u use a computer... that is amazing! that deserves a way above!

as for your idea, its a great one! i'd buy it if it was something like higher physics!
when you set up, u2u me the site... i'll have a gandge!

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blue_sky_9

Originally posted by Toelint
My grandson learned PowerPoint in school...in the Seventh grade!)

your a grandma, and u use a computer... that is amazing! that deserves a way above!

as for your idea, its a great one! i'd buy it if it was something like higher physics!
when you set up, u2u me the site... i'll have a gandge!

I thought that was really cool and voted Toelint a way above too

I think it would great is there were games that were educational and fun which can be a hard balance to achieve.

Some thought I had on this are how it would be neat to let kids in American History for instance relive the Revolutionary and Civil wars thru the use of a game. Home Economics can use a version of a Sims type game to simulate running a household. Business classes could have a game that simulated running a business and there are many more applications.

Maybe consoles could even function as a textbook or inexpensive computer. You could load your books on the hard drive or the school could provide them on a optical disks. This would probably help keep costs down as you wouldn’t have to buy books anymore, students couldn’t forget or deface them, and they could be updated very rapidly when thinks change, breakthroughs are made etc. THe downside is no schoolwork would get done when the power goes out

posted on Sep, 2 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
This idea would make LOADS of cash! Look at LeapFrog....Toddlers and gradeschool students are addicted to this thing and it's teaching them math, languages, and stuff like that. I have a friend, we bought his kids one of those and a GameBoy SP. After about a day, the kids were fighting over the LeapFrog. So yea, if you can create the software, and, like the other poster said about EQ, make it so your scores are sent to a Central DB via Network Adapter I think this is money. Game on!!

top topics

join