It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bono May Make Short List for World Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary John Snow on Sunday would not rule out the idea of Irish singer Bono, an activist on debt relief and AIDS (news - web sites), making the short list of potential candidates to lead the World Bank (news - web sites) even though an American is expected to get the job.

"He's somebody I admire. He does a lot of good in this world of economic development," Snow said.

"Most people know him as a rock star. He's in a way a rock star of the development world, too. He understands the give-and-take of development. He's a very pragmatic, effective and idealistic person," Snow said.

Snow is part of the Bush administration team working on finding a successor to James Wolfensohn, who is stepping down as head of the development bank on June 1.

Asked whether the Irish singer would make the short list of candidates that Snow is preparing for President Bush (news - web sites), the secretary said: "I am not going to review here all the candidates that are on the list. But I will attest to my admiration for Bono."

YAHOO News

As much as I dig Bono, America's cult of celebrity is really getting scary. Everyone laughed at Arnold, until he got elected. Now, some want him for President, without bothering to see how he'll do as governor. I don't mind celebrities speaking their minds, everyone from Britney Spears to her plumber has a right to say what they believe. But there seems to be a prevalence to elect the well known, or propel them to a position of importance, not based on their merit, but simply because peolple know their name.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Reagan was an actor, Sonny Bono was Cher's dude and a congressman even Cooter from the Dukes of Hazzard was a GA represenitive. Gofer from the Love Boat was a congressman. There was a politician turned actor that became a senator. Fred Thompson I beleive and so on and so on. bono is a pretty sharp guy and has kept his band on top of the music sene for 25+ years. He is liberal in some ways and a con in others. I have seen him on O'reilly and I wouldn't lump him whith the Susan Surandens out there.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Bono rocks-regardless of what he does!

join