It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Terrorism Suspects Got OK to Buy Guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A congressional investigation found dozens of terrorism suspects on federal watch lists got approval to buy guns legally in the United States last year, The New York Times reported on Tuesday.

According to the study by the Government Accountability Office, people linked to terrorist groups took advantage of a gap in U.S. gun laws in which suspected members of terrorist organizations are not automatically barred from buying firearms.

The study, which the Times said was due to be released on Tuesday, found that people regarded by the FBI (news - web sites) as known or suspected members of terrorist groups requested permission to buy or carry a gun at least 44 times from February to June last year.

The FBI or state authorities in all but nine cases allowed the applications to proceed since checks found no automatic disqualification like being a felon, an illegal immigrant or "mentally defective," according to the study.

Authorities received an additional 14 gun applications from terrorism suspects in the four months after the study ended and all but two were cleared to proceed, reported the Times, which got an advance copy of the study.

Officials approved a total of 47 of 58 gun applications from terrorism suspects over a nine-month period last year, the study found.

YAHOO News

My question is, how does jive with "a well regulated militia". Should we regulate who gets guns better? Is this proof that gun laws are too lackadaisical?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

A congressional investigation found dozens of terrorism suspects on federal watch lists got approval to buy guns legally

The issue here is 5th Amendment to the US Constitution which states that citizens can't be held accountable for crimes without "due process of law". So until you actually have a criminal conviction on the suspects, they are just "suspects" that you watch. I don't think terrorist or suspected terrorist should have guns, but if we start denying rights to people on suspicion then we're in big trouble.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by dbates]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   
On the other hand the right to own guns is not really in the same league as freedom of speach.

Imagine if Al-Quaida or dereanged rednecks hosed a stadium with assault weapons. Would you rather have guns or corpses?

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I find funny that terrorist suspects can just walk into a store because they want to conform with the law and make the transition into buying guns legal.

I don't get it, criminals will get their stuff illegal, across the border or in the black market.

I think it makes not sense. Its like "let's kill somebody.....but hey lets make sure the guns are legal and traceable.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I wonder how much of a threat these "suspected" terrorists are.
You'd think if they wanted the guns for criminal/terrorist purposes, they'd get them elsewhere and not through the legitimate channels.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Oh boy. You folks really believe that these terrorist groups are running down to Louie's Guns and Tackle to buy their weapons? Come on. The last thing these people want is any paper trail connected to the use of a firearm in the commission of a crime. Like everything else they'll get their weapons through the underground. And they won't be legal weapons under any firearms laws on the books. This is just more "if we take away all the guns then everything will be safe and secure" propaganda. I own firearms. Never had to use them though. I also own a fire extinguisher. never had to use that either. Hope I never have to use either but glad to know they're there if I absolutely had to.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
this one I could see going either way. the only situation I could see a terrorist using a gun in the US would be for a hijacking. in that scenario any legal firearm would do. I could see them buying the guns legally just as sort of a slap in the face after the fact. on the flip side I could also see it as government propoganda for more strict gun laws. I dont think it really matters that much either way. terrorists are going to get guns even if we ban everything down to pellet guns, as are common domestic criminals!

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
If you want a gun it is actually easier to pick one up illegally. This is another case of the tail wagging the dog, we don't know why these people are on watch lists or whether it is justified yet people are willing to give in to mass hysteria and give up more rights in the name of safety.

News like this makes me physically ill, especially knowing that many americans will buy hyped up grand standing as a legitimate threat.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

Officials approved a total of 47 of 58 gun applications from terrorism suspects over a nine-month period last year, the study found.

YAHOO News

Whats this country coming to when suspected killers can buy a gun? If someone was being investigated for terrorism, you would think the police would do something to keep guns out of their hands.

top topics

join