It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retirement .... The 6.5 circle of hell...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
The fractional step. I don't know what all those oldies are talking about.

"Time...It's on my sides"....not really.

It's actually the biggest foe I've ever had to face in my life. I'm not wholly there, but close, hence the fraction.

It's hard without the "obligation" of being a day to day "laborer", It's hell because given the chance(and it's given) some of us will just slip away into obscurity and drink ourselves into madness. Wake up(at noon), eat brunch and find a few things to do until the "drinking hours" of late evening. It's both a "dream" and the hell we want to avoid.

It's all consuming(and I"m a hell of a consumer). Jesus(I don't believe in him) lord(him neither) give me the strength to drink only past 6pm(like when I had a job).

A blessing, and a curse......

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I wish you strength and clarity of mind when decision time rolls around in the evenings.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I just retired for good a little over six months ago. I’m finding I need to stay disciplined so I don’t wind up drinking myself into oblivion. I tend to get up about the same time I did when I worked full time. Then I have breakfast and walk 2-4 miles a day, no matter the weather. When I get back home, I’m on my Ipad most of the day on social media and reading on my Kindle app. I only allow myself to drink adult beverages Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and never more than 3-4.

I’m really not bored. I have plenty of TV shows I’ve discovered. I also spend days doing cleaning, laundry, all the stuff I used to have to scramble to do at night when I got home from work and I was tired and crabby. I stay busy, and am thinking of volunteering with an organization in the town I live in.

So stay busy, and if you find yourself getting really bored, get an easy part time job that is more fun than work.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   
How long did you work, how late in life did you retire?

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ABNARTY

I wish you strength and clarity of mind when decision time rolls around in the evenings.

Thanks, and I can do that...sadly 50/50, I hope to get better.

For every day I seem to forge ahead, I'm hammered by 6PM, because I started drinking at 4. It's not normal, and while "fun" ti's really not what a person should hope to achieve withing a day.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Pick up a hobby.

World Domination
Raising Lobsters
Create a new language using only farts
Knitting

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck

I'll throw myself under the bus.

I've worked "hard" the last 20 years, never had a vacation, the only days off were by ambulance rides and to see my grandfather put into the ground. It's not what I wanted, but in a way it's a whole nother sentence.

I don't like it, I want to do more and can, but in a way i feel like I'm pushed away from my family and community. I'm 38, alone and very tired, I guess this is just what my cards came up as.

Atleast I realize it, and reject it, though likely will have to come to terms with it. Maybe that's whey I post it here, one mans dreams might very well be anothers(mine) nightmare. Work is fulfilling, that day to day grind that so many seek to avoid is infact their meaining, etc, etc.

Ramblings of a fool, taken as such.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Just be happy you’ll have a retirement. By the time mine gets close I’ll probably be living in some dystopian nightmare using your house for firewood.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I can relate.

I can take early retirement now at 55 , but only collect 80%. I get full retirement at 58.

I learned something about myself this year working second shift off and on.

I am a heavy drinker myself, but I have some sort of self control. But, I need weed and can't do it while employed.

I have a plan and projects to keep me moving motivated. Not to mention an awesome wife to keep me from going into the gutter.

Good luck , brother !

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Boomerisms,

I man this is hell not having to work! Hey younger generation we are saving you from this hell you are soooooooo lucky to probably die before retirement because the by the time you get to retire it will be in you 70’s and probably collecting 300 dollars a month good luck with the beer money

The day of the pillow isn’t coming soon enough
edit on 2-12-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-12-2019 by Veryolduser because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I can't wait to retire. I'm 46. Tired of the day to day grind and corporate drone bullsh*t. If I didn't have young kids, I would throw in the cards and just live in an RV and travel around the country full time. I can probably live off $20k/yr at this point in my life as I don' t have a lot of material needs anymore.

One of my regrets is not seeing this sooner in life. If I had a do over, I'd probably be living off grid in some remote cabin. Probably would have stayed single, worked like a dog for 10 years, stacked a million or two and then literally just go off grid.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I don't understand people who desire to work till the die when they can easily retire comfortably. There is so much stuff I want to see and do, there is no way I'd be bored. Educational classes. Travel. Activities. Hobbies. Heck, just being able to wake up and clean the house or do some basic maintenance without feeling rushed or like I don' t have time to get to it all.

edit on 2-12-2019 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Retire at 38?

58?

Really?

I'm like 100 and still working!

(okay, not that old, but still)

It must be awesome to be able to retire so early. Honestly? I'm a little jelly.

I've got a nice nest egg built up, but still feel capable of doing my job, so I still work.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Veryolduser
Boomerisms,

I man this is hell not having to work! Hey younger generation we are saving you from this hell you are soooooooo lucky to probably die before retirement because the by the time you get to retire it will be in you 70’s.

No work, no meaning is hell....No boomerisms here.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Retire at 38?

58?

Really?

I'm like 100 and still working!

(okay, not that old, but still)

It must be awesome to be able to retire so early. Honestly? I'm a little jelly.

I've got a nice nest egg built up, but still feel capable of doing my job, so I still work.

I never pegged you for more than 60....that keyboard though....that thing fought the civil war and should be well on it's way to retirement.

That aside, no one here will doubt you ol' bastardness.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

I've worked "hard" the last 20 years, never had a vacation, the only days off were by ambulance rides and to see my grandfather put into the ground. It's not what I wanted, but in a way it's a whole nother sentence.

I don't like it, I want to do more and can, but in a way i feel like I'm pushed away from my family and community. I'm 38, alone and very tired, I guess this is just what my cards came up as.

Atleast I realize it, and reject it, though likely will have to come to terms with it. Maybe that's whey I post it here, one mans dreams might very well be anothers(mine) nightmare. Work is fulfilling, that day to day grind that so many seek to avoid is infact their meaining, etc, etc.

No, you’re not a fool! My God, I had no idea you’re only 38! I thought I retired young. I retired at 55. I get my health insurance from Uncle Sam, so I was able to retire a little earlier than most folks.

38 is awfully young to permanently retire. Maybe you could take on something part time, something that keeps the boredom at bay. I like what DBCowboy said - world domination.
Perhaps while knitting, LOL!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:38 PM
link   
It's actually a cautionary tale though folks.

"Retired at 38..." Err OMG.

Seriously though, dozens of drunken days blending into one another. No friends, no family, nothing. It's NOT what anyone from any generation should want.

Kids, make a family, have babies, have SOMETHING to work/live for, take your playstation and burn it in a fire. You're life means nothing unless you fulfill the biological purpose of the human species, non matter how hard you have to work.

Cautionary tale....and all that.

ETA: I actually have to check my phone to see what day it is, no joke. NOT fun.
edit on 2-12-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD

No, you’re not a fool! My God, I had no idea you’re only 38! I thought I retired young. I retired at 55. I get my health insurance from Uncle Sam, so I was able to retire a little earlier than most folks.

38 is awfully young to permanently retire. Maybe you could take on something part time, something that keeps the boredom at bay. I like what DBCowboy said - world domination.
Perhaps while knitting, LOL!

If it makes anyone feel better, i'm sure I'll be dead by 50....

So it's all relative.

ETA: I'd love to volunteer at a food shelf, or to help children or....ANYTHING. But nobody wants me. So I'll just tour scotland(from my home, via scotch) and pretend.....thank god I have a wonderful imagination.
edit on 2-12-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Nope, that definitely doesn’t make me feel better. Please don’t say things like that. I always look forward to all your posts on here. I think you’re a gifted writer. Perhaps that is a hobby you could utilize into something to volunteer or something. Just a thought. You are too young to throw your life away. You have a lot of life ahead of you, and many friends on here. Hang in there MisterSpock. Don’t give up the ship.

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Veryolduser
Boomerisms,

I man this is hell not having to work! Hey younger generation we are saving you from this hell you are soooooooo lucky to probably die before retirement because the by the time you get to retire it will be in you 70’s.

No work, no meaning is hell....No boomerisms here.

Retired at 38 your a year older than me that makes zero sense! I make a killing most of my peers are lucky to make half what I get and yet I’m still behind the ball for retirement all while raising a kid “planning for her college” and I just got a loan on a home and paying back school loans. If I retired now unless I hit the lotto I would have maybe 8 months before broke!

posted on Dec, 2 2019 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I've enjoyed your movie reviews lately, so you have that going for you.

I had to deal with a couple of years of "forced non-working" due to a medical issue an agree in theory I thought I'd of liked it LOTS more than the reality. Totally get the whole checking your phone to see what day it is, LOL.

Oddly enough I've found if there is no paycheck involved I procrastinate on going to events to the point I just give up an cancel. Mind you these are things I picked to go to!! (duh) Going to echo what a couple of others have said, added to your thought "no work, no meaning"

Find something that no one else wants to do and try it.
I got poked into taking a second job, which you'd think was insanity with how my regular job is slowly killing me an much to my shock, I love it! It's one of those jobs that are miserable to fill but it's so rewarding. Just by being reliable people pass out from the novelty you came back.

It's made a definite difference for those using the service since I'm not jaded (yet) an fun for me cause I'm in n'out so
no time to get complacent. I know I resisted the idea when I couldn't work doing charity work an such but in hindsight I was a fool. When I do retire I will find something also off the wall to get involved in part time just cause like you said.
No work, no meaning.

You'll figure what you need, you're a smart guy!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join