It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Misterspock movie review... Rambo Last Blood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 11:29 PM
link   
So I'm going to actually try on this one.

Possible spoilers.

Just finished watching this. I'm an action movie fan, and 80's/90's action fan and a big fan of sly...

That said I'm trying to gather some thoughts on this.

As and action movie:
It's a slow starter with the eventual big release of action at the end. A pretty "typical" setup that segways into the star releasing his vengence on the baddies. Based on that alone it's a popcorn flick for sure.

As a rambo interpretation of taken:
It doesn't seem to live up to the intro of liams "Man on a hunt" type film to get back a woman(daughter/neice or otherwise) from evil sex trafficers, it's much slower and way light on the action compared to that....

Now, onto what it is.

As an installment into the rambo franchise:

It is what I expected(for me), a solid 3rd best into a 5 film franchise. It took a concept and wrapped it into the franchise nicely while delivering what to me is the actual essence of the character, reluctance. Like the first film and the 4th, John seems to be at odds with what he is and his attempt to avoid his participation in it. It's an OK action flick that's slow to start but is obviously just trying to drive into the eventual massacre setup to come.

The first really is the best(as usual) but unlike most franchises It's amazing(to me) that the latter films hold so true and hold up(and continue on) so well what the first film was able to do.

To me, the best ones are the first and the 08 rambo film. This one neither departed from or significantly altered the previous films message.

It had less emotional impact(with regard to character) as the first and fell well short of the carnage of the fourth. Still a worthy entry and given the actors age(and his characters age) really felt believable. I liked the nod to the tunnels and his "skills" learned in the early years(tunnels, traps, etc).

In the end actually what really got me was the credits. At the end, seeing a montage of pictures from all the previous films was kind so surreal, not just for the character, but for the actor. If anything, it made me see that this film wasn't just what it was within itself, but the end of a decades long actor/character in the action franchise.

Well worth a rental and a watch, definitely worth a buy if you have a film collection of the previous rambo films.

It's the end of a franchise(ignore any reboots). I have them all on film, and I intend to watch through the whole thing now(the 4th is actually my favorite).

Good job sly....
edit on 30-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 03:50 AM
link   
People seem to think his acting abilities are poor but the Rambo series shows what happens when a good actor puts on his character like a fine silk suit. Like Damon in Bourne, Jane in Punisher, some actors are born to play a particular role.

I haven't seen this one yet but I will. Might watch the first one beforehand tho. There's just something that clicks with this character.

a reply to: MisterSpock

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

I just watched it and was surprised to see it match 'First Blood'. Thought it was brill... once Rambo went looking for the girl and that ending... damn... that guy felt the pain alright.

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Almost sounds like you're describing John Wayne's "The Shootist" or Clint Eastwood's "Unforgiven".

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Glad you reminded me i downloaded a copy last week but forgot about it because i was staying with my ill mother and using her laptop , so i will need to get it again

top topics

join