It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS bogus?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Hi
One conspiracy subject I haven't seen on this website , is an investigation into whether this site is itself a conspiracy.
The motto of this place is 'deny ignorance', yet having read many posts and the musings of the regulators, I have the suspicion that the real motive is in fact to "promote ignorance'.
I have especially been interested in how the focus range of subjects is kept very narrow by how the rules (ie using warns and threats of bannishment as pavlovian instruments of behavior modification)are implemented, and how these rules keep everything dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
The system of benevolent dictatorship also seems to be at odds with deny ignorance. I would suggest that all dictators have believed themselves to be benevolent, knowing whats best for their subjects. But power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Another worrying aspect is how ATS came to be in the first place. The word around the water cooler is that it began life as a dis-information site for an online game, to put the hunters of clues off the correct path. The fact that many of the same in-game conspiracies dove-tail with ATS is also a worry.
My advice to would be writers of scripts, books or whatever.....guard your intellectual property at all costs...you never know where your best ideas might end up. Beware of he/she that takes the credit for other peoples donkey work.
Maybe it is just a reflection of every day life where usually the person with the loudest mouth or gift of the gab is believed as the repository of truth, rather than the person that actually knows the cold hard ugly facts.
Many of the so called in-depth research pieces I have read on ATS, seem to be nothing but the paring down and rehashing of the same old same old that has been doing the rounds for decades. Any dessention from these puff pieces invariably results with the same old jaded mantras of conditioning directed towards the dessenters. And that makes me suspicious.
Of course I could be completly wrong and all these suspicions are just the result of the broad snapshot of society that ATS members represent.
As for myself, the quasi facsist religous close minded nationalistic overtones that permiate this site make me wanna puke, so I won't be bothering with ATS anymore.....so any replies to this post will just be empty cries into cyberspace.
In closing, remember that there may be more to ATS than meets the eye and previous members that also quit this place have done so due to the suspicion of privacy invasion and a shonky mission statement.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by PoopaScoopa]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
"As for myself, the quasi facsist religous close minded nationalistic overtones that permiate this site make me wanna puke, so I won't be bothering with ATS anymore"

So then why does your profile say you're on ATS now?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I've seen that exact topic many times over the years I've been here.

Oh, I see, how you are, post and hide...

What is the matter, realize the hole you dug yourself and now it's temping to jump in it? Come back I want to read more from some one who has just got here, but think they know it all.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by ADVISOR]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I've seen many threads discussing the possibility of ATS being a conpiracy run by the U.S. government, aliens, etc.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Hey man we are BOGUS!

Right on!

You forgot to mention that we are a governemnt front designed to spread disinfomation and record the IP's of members who really have the truth.

Another month, another genius thinking he's being original....

Odd

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a liberal who comes here will be astounded by the number of conservatives.

a conservative who comes here will be astounded by the number of liberals.

when i come here, i am astounded by the number of both.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
We also ban people for being obscene in chat.

You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by PoopaScoopa

As for myself, the quasi facsist religous close minded nationalistic overtones that permiate this site make me wanna puke, so I won't be bothering with ATS anymore.....so any replies to this post will just be empty cries into cyberspace.

Boo hoo.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

[edit on 7-3-2005 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

as posted by PoopaScoopa
...the quasi facsist religous close minded nationalistic overtones that permiate this site make me wanna puke...

Wow.
You didn't trip over your fingers when you typed this one out did ya?

In closing, remember that there may be more to ATS than meets the eye and previous members that also quit this place have done so due to the suspicion of privacy invasion and a shonky mission statement.

Boink, boink.... Aight.

seekerof

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Is this one of those threads that tries to enfuriate members into posting, thus increasing the thread creator's points? What's your real agenda?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
That is a SOP (standard operating proceadure), for coward trolls, AKA Yellow bellies.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   

as posted by poonchang
Is this one of those threads that tries to enfuriate members into posting, thus increasing the thread creator's points?

Well, if it was, not no more.

seekerof

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:37 PM
link   
whoops, i lost that sentence...

the one about...(... the pavlovian treatment behavior modification.)

IMO:
Pavlov was about conditioning
& B F Skinner was about behavior modification

the 'puff' pieces vs. the 'fluff' pieces is another gaffe
but i'm with you on the 'ideas' or 'intellectual property' rip-off potentials
(ain't you supposed to CYA, in any event?)

right-on

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Is this person ro real the whole point of ATS is Conspiracy why should this site be bogus?

This person mite be a govt official whose jealousy has turned on him.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I would have to say the mods here are to deverse to be bogus there are a lot of people here that have their head in the sand and even some trolls however your going to see that where ever you go weather online or in real life places that you encounter the genral public.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Blah blah blah.

Ladies & gents, this was one of the people who engaged in inappropriate discussion in chat.
He was subsequently banned after we discovered the links he was sending to some of the ladies of ATS.
Apparently he thought it would be okay to register 2 new names despite having been banned.

I'm sure you understand his little rant a bit more now.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It's pretty sad when people go to a conspiracy website for sexual reasons.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Just a friendly reminder.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Sometimes things are best when they are new and a little raw. There is a kind of magic of freshness.

When something becomes too structured the overhead eats up much of the innovative energy.

When something achieves a certain critical mass it draws the attention of the conventional mainstream. They tend to be bored and jump at and often on anything new and different. Boredom is an internal state. If you are bored you bring your boredom with you. You also tend to look outside yourself for relief from that boredom. If you are the problem, you have to become the solution to it yourself. Sometimes i think there is a silent God who wonders 'why people aren't smart enough to figure out that they are responsible for themselves' and have to do the work to learn how to take care of themselves. We don't come with instruction manuals, you have to make it up as you go along.

Like someone who becomes famous for being rude and irreverent. Then when they are well known they usually want to become acceptable and respectable. Sort of like a tree rejecting its own roots.

It was rather sad to see the people in controlling positions trying to squelch the 911 conspiracy theories. This is supposed to be a conspiracy website isn't it?

I don't think [but i can't be sure] this is an intentionally bogus site. But it has effectively become so in its quest to be too respectable.

Instead of being a hotbed of churning wild ideas it has become kind of pompous and hung up by its own petard.

I guess I would like to find some kind of website that has insane discussions where people are not abusive just for its own sake.

Anyone know of any forums that are hyper-paranoid and loaded with outrageous spurious claims and counter-claims? Thx in advance.

Anyone remember that episode of Saturday night live where the guy from Monty Python was playing Sherlock Holmes and snorting coke. He ended up thinking he had committed the crime himself, it was very funny. I Love hyper mentality.

Original ideas are original because they are NOT conventional.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
There's nothing wrong with the topic per se, perhaps, maybe it is just part of the motivation in the creation of it that causes people to not respond to the constructive parts like slank did.

So this doesn't have to be empty cries in cyberspace?

What at ATS is bogus:

* posts by 'trolls'
* posts by people pretending to have done research and proclaiming trheir preconceived positions as facts
* posts that present denial and ignorance in their roots, instead of a decent contribution to furthering accepted knowledge.

There may be elements that are fluffed up and overemphasised to grow popularity in the site for popularity's sake, and site statistics are generally measured in quantity of clicks rather than quality of facts, because it is felt that quality is too subjective and a member-driven function anyway.

But there are genuine people and genuine knowledge to be found here, which is not a bogus phenomenon at all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join