It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Witcher - Netflix Trailer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
As a fan of the Witcher games I was interested to hear that Netflix were making a series based on the books the story is taken from , The Witcher arrives on December 20th and actually looks quite good ...

Geralt is missing his scar so I'm guessing it's the early days.

The new Game of Thrones ?

edit on 1-11-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
As a fan of the Witcher games I was interested to hear that Netflix were making a series based on the books the story is taken from , The Witcher arrives on December 20th and actually looks quite good ...

Geralt is missing his scar so I'm guessing it's the early days.

The new Game of Thrones ?

From what i have been hearing is that the "Witcher" isn't about Geralt at all but the whamens. Let's hope that the "The Witcher" is actually about the story and not some SJW BS.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

It's Netflix and they are getting more SJW every year. My hopes are low.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
This could have been huge, absolutely epic....if it wasn't "current year".

I have such low expectations that the good news is that it might be watchable due to my flatlined expectations.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I joined Netflix back in their early days.
For reasons I dropped them completely and have not went back.
I will now , though.

THE WHITE WOLF LIVES.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Who knows, could be as good as game of thrones. But a whole different setting and storyline thats for sure. Still have yet to beat The Witcher 3. The wild hunt game. I think I got close to the end game, were you have to fight the wild hunt, and I left it off there.

But ya, this is all set before that, years and years before it looks like. Looks like Ciri is still a little girl, and before he got that kick ass face scar, also not sure which of those charters is supposed to be Yennefer, and didnt see Triss at all in that trailer.

So it looks like its set way in the past before they all met, and long before the wild hunt. Either way looks like a good show, likely up there with Game of thrones or Stranger things. Will have to check it out for sure.

That whole evil is evil at the end of the trailer, is straight out of the game though.

posted on Nov, 1 2019 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Do they kill hawt Lesbian witches after they have 4 ways with them? If so, I am in. I mean I would expect nothing else from Netlix.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I won’t say it will suck but chances are it will suck.

I honestly looked forward to death note live action adaptation and they had the perfect voice actor for “death” or shinigami as the Japanese call them his name was ryuk but voiced by Williem Defoe

What does Netflix do? They made it into a 2 hour movie instead of a series which was stupid! They casted horribly for L and light not that these actors sucked just that character progression required it to be a series!

I give it 80 percent they will irreparably screw it up and a 20 percent chance they Forrest Gump their way into maybe something good

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This makes me want to read the books! I agree with ya'll though, fully expect Netflix to ruin it

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser
What they have a deathnote movie.

Pretty much anything they do into a movie, its just a cut together all squished in made to fit in that 2 hr time frame scene, is not going to be all that good. But then again never got into that particular anime either. So maybe I will just cram the movie.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: seeker1963

It's Netflix and they are getting more SJW every year. My hopes are low.

Sadly that is what have seen as well. Looks like its going to be tough to find new netflix scifi shows without some irrelevant sjw or pc characters thrown into it for no reason other than being woke.
edit on 161130America/ChicagoSun, 03 Nov 2019 23:16:46 -0600000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
5 days away.

Lost in space 4 days later.

posted on Dec, 15 2019 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Plz dont # this up.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is pretty bad imo.

IF you don't watch it your not missing anything.

2 episodes in so far.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I thought it was actually decent. I've read the books and played the games, seems to be in line with the cannon so far.

posted on Dec, 20 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
This is pretty bad imo.

IF you don't watch it your not missing anything.

2 episodes in so far.

Watched 5 mins before the boy was too rowdy. Wasn't disappointed in those 5 mins

posted on Jan, 1 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I expected it to be agenda-driven, leftist trash based on everything I'd heard during its production cycle. Still, being a fan of the games, I thought I'd at least give episode 1 a try. As it turns out, it was much better than I expected and I ended up watching the entire first season yesterday. The timeline jumps around quite a bit, but around episode 4 or 5, it starts becoming clear why they structured it as they did and how its all going to come together. Most of the casting choices were excellent, though I do think they missed on Triss Merigold. The action sequences are well done and the CGI and monster effects generally look pretty good. I just wish it had more than eight episodes for the first season.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I hated it. It seems more concerned with being emotionally manipulative and drama focused than being a fantasy adventure or telling a story. Character archs don't make any sense, and it has some rather concerning implications regarding who the characters are supposed to resonate with. I want to take a look at the most egregious example, that being Yennifer.

She starts off living as a hunchback on a peasant farmstead, dehumanised and abused. This is a change from the books where it is only said in passing that she "may" have been a hunchback and an noble daughter who was given to the sorceress academy in much the same way the real life excess daughters were sometimes cloistered in nunneries. But the show runners are less concerned with world building than they are with drama, so they doubled down on her victimhood.

Yen is getting physically abused by a couple of bumpkins when she triggers her magical ability for the first time, transporting her to a cave with a nice guy mage. The mage becomes instantly smitten with the pig# covered hunchback her for some reason? He tells her "she's a wizard, Harry" then warns her that the mistress of the academy will come for her. The mage seems to not want this to happen and attempts to disguise the incident. I'm not sure why since he is a believer in the academy and it's mission for the rest of the story. His loyalty to the academy is actually a plot point later on, so this is out of character and only exists to add suspense.

Yen goes back to her farmstead and the Mistress turns up to claim her. I'm not sure how much time has passed, but it seems like it's the next day. The show is very bad at depicting the passage of time, so it could be weeks or months. The Mistress buys Yen from her father, takes her to the academy and locks her in her room like a prisoner. Overcome with self loathing, Yen tries to kill herself by smashing her own refection and slitting her wrists with the shards of the mirror.

Yen wakes up alive and bandaged and is told what an idiot she is for trying to take her own life. She is then taken to her first magical lesson. She shows no aptitude for magic and storms out in shame and frustration.

Some time later and Yen is back in magical class. Again she shows no aptitude for magic and is scolded for being useless and for lying, while being told that she has no self esteem.

Magic lesson number three: the students are trying to catch lightning in a bottle. Yen fails... again. But throws a tantrum and almost causes and accident. Yen is proud and righteous, but she gets scolded once more for losing control.

Yen goes and finds the nice guy mage and after a bit of exposition dialog, they declare their love for each other and start a relationship. This is the third scene they have shared with each other thus far, the second one only being telling each other their names and nothing more.

Yen confronts the mistress and demands she be allowed to graduate (She's only been there for about a week it seems?) The Mistress tells her to wait for a knock on her door, but the knock doesn't come. She sneaks after the supposed graduates and watches as the Mistress turns her rival students into eels. The Mistress then calls out to Yen who she knows is watching. She tells Yen that she is not only better then her classmates, but the best ever. Cue triumphant music. I'm really glad we were told that information because they didn't show a single thing to support that revelation.

From this point on Yen's character does a complete 180 and they stop portraying her as a victim and instead as a Machiavellian powerhouse of independence. Yen is preparing for her graduation and work placement. She has her heart set on a certain placement but the patriarchy turn her down because she has Elven linage. The decision makes sense because the place she wants to go has a history of conflict with elves, but Yen sees this as discrimination and throws a tantrum, refusing to undergo graduation out of spite. Nice guy mage is the one who let slip that Yen had elven blood to his superior. She's mad at him for betraying her trust, but ultimately dumps him for being a beta with no backbone.

Despite turning down the graduation ceremony, Yen decides that no one is going to stop her from graduating! She goes to preform the ritual on her own volition. She refuses anaesthetics because "SHE can handle it" and we get a long drawn out birthing analogy with lots of screaming and suffering for the sake of drama.

Back at the prom party, everyone is getting introduced to their new assignments. Yen bursts in, all heads turn and she gets her Cinderella moment. Despite the whole point of the ritual begin to glamour the sorceresses to be ideal visions of beauty, she is most ideal of ideals. She steals prince charming from the sorceress who was going to get the position she wanted. Everyone declares her prom queen and she gets her own way.

Flash forward years(?) and Yen in disillusioned with her assignment. She is travelling with a noble women and her baby who she seems disgusted and annoyed by. The noble women is envious of Yen, but Yen says that her life sucks and that having beauty, power, position and respect is all a load of crap because she is still a repressed waman. They are then attacked by an assassin who is trying to kill the women and child. Yen manages to kill the assassin but not before the women and child are killed too. Yen buries the child and comes to the realisation that is what she is missing. In order to have her career, she had to give up her womb. She then become resentful towards the patriarchy for making her give up her chance to have a child, totally forgetting how dramatically she made a point of making that choice for herself an episode ago. Apparently she wants her cake and to eat it and no one is going to stop her.

And for the rest of the episodes it is basically just Yen moaning about wanting a child, thinking that Geralt, manliest man alive, might not be good enough for her, and resenting the people and institution that gave her everything for giving her everything.

What an inspiring female role model. And I dare your to try and draw a coherent line through that plot arch.

That's the worst case, but the rest of the show is not much better. Even Geralt is a very derogative character. A moral authority with the strength enough to enforce his beliefs, who is enough of an outsider to take an unbiased stance? The warrior with two swords, who they call the white wolf? I remember that character when he was called Elric, Dritz, Jon Snow and a hundred others.

The books aren't masterpieces, just pulpy novels, and the show is just a cash grab with bad writers and an political agenda. But Poland wants it's cultural export, the TV executives want there Game of Thrones money, and Sepowski wants an extra initial added to his pen name. And everyone everywhere is going to play along and hype this mediocrity out of control.

Did you know that the show has been funded to run for 10 years? Hows that for confidence in marketing?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
.....oh valley of plenty....oh valley of plenty.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
.....oh valley of plenty....oh valley of plenty.

''Tosses you a coin''

top topics

<<   2 >>

join