It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Kuwaitis demonstrate for women's suffrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Under heavy police security, several hundred women demonstrated in downtown Kuwait City Monday, demanding women be allowed to vote and run for office in Parliament elections. Most Islamic groups in Kuwait oppose granting women political rights and Parliament has twice defeated similar measures in recent years. This time, however, the government has thrown its full support behind proposed legislation that would give women in the Emirate the right to vote.

today.reuters .co.uk
"Women's rights now," chanted the crowd, which included women dressed in abayas, or traditional long black cloaks. Some of the demonstrators at Monday's protest wore veils over their faces.

"Our democracy will only be complete with women," said a placard written in Arabic. "We are not less, you are not more. We need a balance, open the door," said one written in English.

The crowd later attended a parliamentary session which approved a state request for a committee to speed up reviewing a bill allowing women to vote and run for parliament.

But the 50-man assembly, in which Islamists have a powerful bloc, did not set a date to discuss the draft law.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Kuwait's constitution stipulates gender equality, women are in the diplomatic corps. They make up about half of the national work force and 63 percent of Kuwaitis with university degrees. Unlike women in neighboring Saudi Arabia, women in Kuwait can drive and travel abroad without the consent of a male relative.

Women be allowed to vote and run for office in parliament elections in Kuwait would be one more push for political reforms and democratizing the Middle East.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
The women in Kuwait must be glad that they have a massed voice in the 21st. Century. Makes me think what they did to get along 'till then. I would like to see the rest of the region follow step. Just for the record, I'm not a big womans libber but I do believe if they do the same work along with the same education requirements, they are intitled to equal conditions; and that goes for all environments. I do have some reservation about women on the front line in combat, but I think if they can de demonstrate the same skill sets, by all means.
I know a gal that flies a Heli. and she is one TUFF cookie.

join