It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Navy Leasing a Swedish Submarine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I stumbled across this article this morning, and it kind of caught me by surprise.

I did not know we, the US are leasing a sub?

I wonder what the monthly payment is, better call Progressive and get a quote on insurance!!!

Interesting article, here is the link.

www.jinsa.org...

Why is the U.S. Navy Leasing a Swedish Submarine?
Air-Independent-Propulsion and the Resurgence in Anti-Submarine Warfare

The AIP-equipped Gotland-class submarine, one of five in Swedish service, will be stationed at the United States Naval Base at Point Loma in San Diego, and will be involved in training exercises in both the Pacific and Atlantic. Officials expect the information gained in the training operations to enhance American sonar technology and to lead to the establishment of a solid bank of operational experience versus AIP-equipped subs. Rear Admiral Donald Bullard, Director of Readiness and Training for Fleet Forces Command, said, “This will vastly improve our capability to conduct realistic, effective antisubmarine warfare (ASW) training [and further]... our efforts in developing coalition ASW tactics, techniques and procedures.”

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Sounds to me like they leased the sub to study it and figure out the best ways to defend agianst it, while at the same time, improving existing technologies.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The swedes are probably making a fortune out of it

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucretius
The swedes are probably making a fortune out of it

If uncle Sam is footing the bill, it is likely in the hundreds of thousands of dollars a day.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
According to swedish media it'll cost about 100-160million sek (14-23 M USD) a year..

link (in swedish, sorry couldn't find any in english)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The US has no non-nuclear subs so 'borrows' them from time to time to test their own boats against. The Gotland is about as advanced a non nuclear sub as you can get so it doesnt suprise me at all. And if they get a sneeky peek at the AIP systems then so much the better.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Take this from an ex Sonar Technician the data they will get from the Swedish Boat is invaluable training for the US sub service, they will run by the boat while its snorkeling, diving, at ultra quite, ECT .... giving the fleet real world experience Vs a diesel boat

Netminder321 (ex bubble head)

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Not to bring up this subject again, but me bets they are doing this because China is acquiring more diesel subs, and if it is necessary for the U.S. Navy to go in against those subs someday, they probably want some real-world experience going up against an advanced diesel sub in simulations.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
We are also committed to build eight SSK's for Taiwan - problem being no US shipyard has constructed a non nuke sub in several decades now. So I am sure that is a good reason to take a closer look at them too.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
for more information
www.naval-technology.com...

particular attention should be paid to the propulsion system

PROPULSION SYSTEMS
The submarine is equipped with two MTU diesel engines and two Kockums V4-275R Stirling Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) units. The Stirling engines are mounted in elastic, soundproof modules and each provide up to 75kW. The submarine has the capacity for two weeks of air independent propulsion at a speed of 5 knots without snorting. The AIP uses liquid oxygen and diesel fuel in a controlled inert (helium) environment. The AIP liquid oxygen tanks are located on the deck below the engines. The propulsion system provides a speed of 11 knots surfaced and 20 knots dived.

It is far more advanced than the boats russia and china have and is the first of the next generation non-nuclear subs.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by paperplane_uk]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
mate, ever heard of "outsourcing"?

new topics

top topics

join