It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very discouraged this job market isn't great

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I don't know what to do anymore. I used to be a upper level manager. I had a female employee accuse me of something I didn't do. Everyone who's known me my whole life can say I'm not that kind of guy. Surprise after they axed me with no proof because they have an at will clause and can terminate "for cause" after u left she went for my now open spot.

I'm so shocked I don't know what to say or do anymore. She made a pass at me I turned her down as I have a 13 yr serious relationship. Why is this allowed? I tried to talk to a lawyer I can't swing the kind of money to fight it. I now work a janitors job I can't find anything else even willing to relocate. I'm so lost I can barely get by I'm losing everything I worked my whole life for whats next? I see no light at the end of this tunnel every job I apply for doesn't even reply everything is online no one responds. Even those that do look at me as over qualified or they're not willing to train anyone anymore. I'm like a dog trapped in a cage.

What can a guy do before ending up on the street?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Chanologist
May I ask how long you were with said company before getting hosed and how long had this other employee been ther at said time of hosing?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I was there a year and did good enough that I got a bonus 2 months prior never have been in any work trouble in my life I don't know how long the other person was there I didn't have access to HR which was in another city

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:39 AM
link   
May I ask how old you are?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Wait until they give her your old job and then sue both the business and her for every dollar you can get.

For now ... wait until her true colors blossom and do research on a great lawyer.

P

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Right now its a fight or die professional economy.
From what I see.

I just had an email suggesting I was racist.

I have no issue with how an individual looks. I work in the entertainment industry. We work with everyone.

It's all stupid. But it also haunts you job to job right now. If not day to day.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Right there with ya bud, but for different reasons. I've been on the job hunt for a little over two months now. I know it sucks, but at least you have a job. I know that probably sucks to hear too, but I get turned down because of my experience. Over qualified and I used to make a lot of money. So no one wants to hire me, because I'm not an impressionable youth, and they think I won't be happy with the job making less than half of what I used to.

Try thinking outside the box. Find a way to market your skills in a different line of work. Management is supposed to be pretty easy. Kind of boring, but whatever.

I had a job interview today for a management position, and after the interviewer explained how everything was automated I was left asking what does a manager in this position actually do? Lol.

Don't give up man. It may seem like you heading straight to the dirt, but you've got experience and a partner who's been with you for 13 years.

You've made it this far through economic turmoil and a person who has had your back the entire way. You got this man.

When you get home from work, sit yourself down and pour you a drink and think about what you have, how you got to where you were before this petty BS and how you can make your next move. Don't make any rash decisions and you'll be just fine.

Maybe find a headhunting company and see what they can help you with. I don't know which country you're in, but there's Manpower Group and Korn Ferry right off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure their both international companies as well. You could also look at getting in touch with a career coach.

Maybe try looking at it like a new chapter in the book of life. Plan some things out. See what you can do on the side while working as a janitor.

PM me if ya want.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chanologist
I see no light at the end of this tunnel every job I apply for doesn't even reply everything is online no one responds. Even those that do look at me as over qualified or they're not willing to train anyone anymore. I'm like a dog trapped in a cage.

Applying on line is just like applying on paper. If you want job interviews and offers you need to be following up with calls. Try a local career center for assistance. If you're looking to relocate you really need to be skilled in a high demand job or be local. Employers are reluctant to waste time on people that do not live within commuting distance. If you happen to get somebody on the phone be prepared, research your destination and mention some reasons why you're excited to relocate there. Don't say you're just moving for a job.

A resume review is never a bad thing and career centers or adult ed centers sometimes have resume workshops. Most employers for professional positions accept a resume with the completed application. If you're confident in your skill and know your industry cold calling HR or even the person in charge of your potential position could get you a leg up on competition. It's really a full time job when you look for a new job. Keep hammering away and get hungry for it.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Thanks everyone and you're all right I'm so frazzled that I'm mentally being very rash. I'm in the US and it does suck because being middle aged you're fighting against the younger crowd which they want. I don't want to relocate but I was meaning I would if I had to. I'm going to hammer this out and spend every non work minute looking. It's just so frustrating in today's world EVERYTHING I was raised with being not OK today is all good and it's like no it's not wtf. Grrrr

I just can't wrap my head around how we as a people have gotten to a place in society where it's OK to ruin someone's life on a lie and no one backs you up. I mean what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? It's seems like I woke up in backwards world where you're always guilty and you have to fight to show you are innocent and even then no one cares.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Sociopathic behavior does have a tendency to rise to the upper levels of management, big problem for a lot of industries as the big bucks drags them in. Unfortunate that management did not work it out, or maybe they did and prefers that 'ends justify the means' approach.

If you are going to go down the legal route prepare for it to take years with a financial and mental costs. Even if you do win what do you want? Job back, pay out? Your reputation has already taken a hit, how much further will it go sewing your last employer? Would you hire someone like that?

I know what its like in between jobs, good luck.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   
One day I had to make a drive to one of our locations that was an hour and a half away to do some IT stuff. After finishing and heading back, I made it halfway when my supervisor called me and told me I needed to go back for two things - one of them being that one of the women in the office didn't know her Windows login password. Ok, my supervisor asked me to go back, so I will - but let's take care of the password issue first. I pulled over, pulled into a parking lot right off the highway, and called the woman to give her her password and make sure it worked. She said her computer was restarting and she would call me back when it finished and let me know if her password worked. About a minute later, my supervisor called me back yelling at me that I'm going to go back and I better not return to my main office until I do the job. I had no idea why he was mad or yelling at me, so I just said "ok... ok... ok..." as he was yelling, and then immediately drove back like originally planned. A few days later he called me into his office to ask me about that day.
So, why was my supervisor mad at me that day? Apparently the woman who I had called to give the password to, immediately upon getting off the phone, went to her supervisor and told her that I had called her and refused to return and finish the work. Her supervisor called my supervisor and was "completely irate" at me for something that didn't even happen.
Either the woman I spoke to on the phone or her supervisor were just outright making things up and lying about me for no reason. I very well could have been fired without any explanation because of their nonsense games.

I don't know how old you are OP, but you're going to be working around psychopaths and nutcases who will think nothing of absolutely ruining your career just so they have something to gossip about at lunch that day. Don't give those people the opportunity to do so.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Does anyone see the need for union representation to handle disputes with management?

Union proud, Union Strong...

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I make it a point these days to never be on friendly terms with females at work other than everyday pleasantries. I never go to lunch alone with a female or take a break alone with a female.

This personal policy is not my fault. It is societies fault.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Employers need no reason to can you on the spot...when you signed papers when you startedI?

In there as usual... reminds us we can go any second, any week any minute. They don't need a reason or have to give you one.

Sadly...sometimes we need to get down to street level 1st to see things differently. Focus on you...one small success, one inch at a time.

"Sometimes...when youre are at the end of your rope? Tie a knot in it and hold on! Someone or some-thing will come along to pull you up".

God bless, keep the faith!
MS

edit on 16-10-2019 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Does anyone see the need for union representation to handle disputes with management?

Hey! Just caught your comment. I've been a steward, local v.p. of several different unions over 40+ yrs. I agree w you.

Thanx...M.S.

AFSCME, Local 1584, (American Federal, State, County, Municipal employees)
A F of M, Local 5 (American Fed. of Musicians)
PPAN, Local 105 (Plant Protection)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Unions do not do much for upper level management, which is what the OP was. In fact unions do a lot against management.

OP, hate to say it. But it is the way of the world now. And that particular bag of tricks has zero defense at this time. Women can be just as or even more cutthroat than men at that level. You can one day chalk it up as a life lesson, in the meantime keep applying and keep food on the table with what you can.

Janitor gigs suck, plain and simple. Being stuck in one sucks even more. So does sitting in the dark eating a packet of Raman only every couple of days because electricity is a luxury compared to not having a roof over your head and that money has to be saved somehow. So you are ahead of the game in those terms.

Keep plugging away, things change.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I had ridiculous work issues on my last job and finally realized I was unhappy and didn’t want the struggle. I decided to work from home and started watching ratracerebellion.com and found my first job.

I’m not sure if you’re in a position to do so, but all you need is a quiet place and strong Wifi. My employer sent me a laptop and headset. It’s not the same money I was making but I took a seasonal position to try out the working from home.

It really fits for me. I’m in Austin and the job market is crazy! Competing with college grads and many employers now ask for the degree for even basic jobs.

Hang in there and take some time if you can!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

And what could a Union do in this case ?
Take up deliberations with the company ?
Ya think that is going anywhere ?
NO,

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Hey! Just caught your comment. I've been a steward, local v.p. of several different unions over 40+ yrs. I agree w you.

Thanx...M.S.

AFSCME, Local 1584, (American Federal, State, County, Municipal employees)
A F of M, Local 5 (American Fed. of Musicians)
PPAN, Local 105 (Plant Protection)

Copy that my brother...

SAG/AFTRA

IATSE local 600

AFof M local 618

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Sounds terrible. You should be unemployable like me. At least the disappointment will make more sense. Very bad advice, I know. I'll see myself out now, thank you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join