It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinner tonight???i

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 09:46 PM
link   
LOL...dinner tonight was Pizza (Dominoes Exravaganza, less olives). They won't deliver out here, it's too far, so I had to drive into town for take-out.

I made nothing for dinner, and completely punked out with some Dominoes pizza. All my creative cooking threads, have been demolished by this one thread. Dominoes pizza...take out.

Good stuff though, but I didn't make it, not even close. All I did was take my puppy for a ride and we got "Zah"!! He was pretty excited about the whole thing, so I gave him a piece. " OH, YUMMY...GOOOoooood!". Then I had to give his brother a piece. Of course, now, he's my best friend forever!

I have to say, Dominoes has picked up their game a little bit. 4-5 years ago, Dominoes was AWEFULL!!

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What made you risk trying Dominoes again?
Are you sure they improved, or were you just that hungry

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
We had leftover pozole. Leftover is always better after it has sat in the fridge for a day or three and the flavors have gelled.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
We had really great pan fried pickerel with salad and mixed veggies, served with a marvelous dark rye bread.

edit on Tue Oct 15 2019 by DontTreadOnMe because: Damn autocorrect!!!!

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   
To Flyingclaydisk: Don't worry about the dominoes thing. We all need a day off sometimes, even from the things we really love, like cooking is to you.

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
We had really great pan fried pickerel with salad and mixed veggies, served with a marvelous dark rye bread.

Oh? I see that you are from U.S.A and you have marvelous dark rye bread? That is awesome! I thought your "Bread" is always this white fluffy stuff that is more like a sweet pastry.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   
When will they start using drones for pizza delivery? Especially for people like you who live out in the boonies. Glad you took a night off-and gave the missus one, too.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
...my step-son works at Dominoes..

It's somewhat less horrible, when it is free...

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

That sounds good, I haven't had pike for a long time. I like it stuffed with butter and onions, salt and pepper and wrapped with foil and put on the grill. If just falls apart.

Damn, it is after one in the morning and I just got hungry.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Why don't you just admit it: you bought an extra pizza, just to feed the puppies ...

Heech-heech-heech !
Just teasing...

It was our Canadian Thanksgiving this past Sunday: so we're still eating any imaginable variation on turkey possible.

Wild Turkey Surprise !?!?!?

(PS: it wasn't a wild turkey.)

Was happy that my woman, for the first time in her life, enjoyed turnips.
Well: perhaps she didn't mind those beet-dyed, pickled turnips, from the shish places.

Two medium turnips, peeled and quartered. Then sliced into about 1/3 of an inch slices.
Boiled until tender, but add a peeled and sliced apple in the last minute or two.
Drain and mash with an inappropriate amount of butter, and light seasoning.

In a skillet: gently crisp a mixture of breadcrumbs, a boat-load of butter, garlic powder, and herbs of choice.
Put the mashed turnips in a medium casserole dish, and cover with the breadcrumb mixture.
Bake at 350°, about 25 min, or until crust is 'golden' .

Quite a simple dish for an experienced cook like you, but many variations are, of course, possible.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Walleye? Oh, you just had to go there! I love me some Walleye!! My most favorite fish of all!!! That, and Perch.

We used to clean up on the Walleyes when we were stationed in MI living on Lake St. Claire. Oh man, were those things good!! We also had this quaint little bar/restaurant place within walking distance which used to have all you can eat fried Perch on Friday nights in the fall. They never made any money on me! Well, maybe on the craft beers.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I think Domino's is better than it used to be also.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Sounds really good!

I love, love, LOVE turnips! Wife doesn't care for them either, and I can't imagine why. So, we don't have them very often. She'll tolerate them, but they're definitely not a go-to staple.

I have a super great recipe for leg of lamb and mashed turnips. A fella could explode eating that.

edit on 10/16/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: drussell41

Yeah, for a while there they got really bad. They messed up their sauce and crusts (badly) for a while.

My favorite take out pizza these days is Papa Murphy's (take & bake), but the closest one of those around here is 50 miles.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Hi FCD. Thanks for your reply.
Please share your mashed turnip recipe, as the season is high !! LoL !

Perhaps some of us were raised a bit more on root-vegetables, and others more on above-ground, and vine-type of veggies ?
Or at least: different types of root veggies ?

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

I just cut them up and cook 'em up in the pressure cooker. When they're fork tender I add a little milk/cream, then add butter (1/3 stick), salt & pepper and mash 'em up. I prefer them with a little coarser texture. I call it a 'rough mash' (do the same for taters too). Nothing special really, I just love the taste of the turnips themselves.

I like to put turnip chunks in with my pot roasts too. And those I mash up with the potatoes in there. That's also a great way to do them because they've been cooking in the pot roast ajus. Yumm!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

We do chicken wings almost every Friday. There's a pretty good wing place that has a bunch of different sauces and dry rubs and garlic parm fries and hushpuppies.

Chicken wings are hardly health food, but I sure do love that voodoo sauce ... so hot it makes my eyelids sweat!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Walleye? Oh, you just had to go there! I love me some Walleye!! My most favorite fish of all!!! That, and Perch.

Yep, I had to go there

And oh, same here!!!
Those two fish have all the others beaten hands down for flavor, texture and appeal....including all ocean fish!!!!!

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Chiliquitas have been frequent at my house. I make my own enchilada sauce, and freeze it in small batches for use. The first run is used for enchiladas or asado, and the frozen stuff is used to make chiliquitas. Basically, tear corn tortillas into strips and fry until the ends start to brown a bit, then simmer in enchilada sauce. Throw in shredded chicken and cheese. Serve with a side of frijoles

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Care to share the enchilada sauce recipe? I have yet to find a really good one and I love cheese enchiladas.

Store bought tastes like chalk mixed with generic brand tomato juice to me.

edit on 10/16/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Its easy peasy....

take half dozen chile pods of your choice (i use 2 ancho and 4 guajillo/cascabel). Remove seeds and pith to the degree that you are comfortable with the heat. Place in a simmering pot with a few cups of water in it, put the lid on and let it sit till cool. I like to add in the adobo sauce from a can of chipotle, and a couple of the chipotles to make it a bit smokey, but will sometimes omit this depending on how i feel at the moment.

Blend until smooth, add in another couple cups of water and thicken a little with some roux. If i were to guess, id say 7 or 8 cups of water...but i mostly go by "feel". Salt to your liking.

All enchilada sauce is is pureed dried peppers thickened with a touch of roux. but using "fresh" dried peppers makes the flavor pop so much more than canned crap.

For green sauce i roast half dozen poblano or big jim peppers (just really high heat until the skin blisters off). Peel and set aside while you roast 3 or 4 tomatillos, a large yellow onion, and a head of garlic (or 2). Puree them all together with just enough water to make it liquid but still chunky. Salt to taste.

<<   2 >>

join