It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NUS scientist designs express courier service for immune cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This is an awesome technological application of carbon nanotubules within biomedical engineering, which I thought I'd share as it really ticked the boxes in terms of my science interests.

Dr Andy Tay at the National University of Singapore has developed a novel 'transfection' methodology for the transfer of modified DNA sections into a patient's immune cells, in essence sending them whooshing through carbon nanotubules which are set up akin the cell membrane & then electrically stimulated in a targeted manner, to increase porosity of the cell membranes, allowing for easier transit of the DNA sections into each cell. I say 'whooshing' because the electrostatic forces applied to the carbon nanotubules to increase cell membrane porosity also have the effect of sucking the DNA through the nanotubule, like a bullet down a rifled barrel, in a manner of speaking.

ETA - The field of operations is immunotherapy for cancer-fighting purposes at this stage.

This technology is patented & licensed to a start-up in the USA, and is called NANO-ELECTRO-INJECTION, and I think we'll be hearing of many more of its applicable uses in biomedical sciences in the near future. There are several efficiency benefits to the use of this technique over & above existing techniques for DNA transfection, which you can read about in the article! Enjoy...

NUS scientist designs 'express courier service' for immune cells

Spoiler - he's now working on a version of this technique which also applies the use of magnets. I like the way he thinks!

edit on OctoberSaturday19110CDT09America/Chicago-050016 by FlyInTheOintment because: per ETA

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Genetic modification, nano, and magnets?

I don't know man. Sounds pretty scary.

edit on 10/5/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Jeez we thought acid rain was bad, Imagine delivering this through rain clouds and then zap the ionosphere with Haarp to activate a change in genome to everything that absorbed the condensate? I wonder what could be done with lots of dark money, and a properly executed plan...

edit on 6-10-2019 by 2ndTenor because: (no reason given)

join