It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need some cat help.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Hey all. So me and my gf adopted a tripawed cat back in March of 2017. We named her thumper due to the thumping she makes when she walks. She has been a great loving cat... until recently. She has started to pee on my spot on the couch. She meows constantly until fed is quiet for a half hour and starts up again. And tonight we come home from work and find trash all over the kitchen. There haven’t been any household changes. We took her to the vet and she’s in good health although a little tubby. I just don’t understand the personality change. Has anyone had any experience with something like this?

posted on Oct, 3 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Somethingsamiss

I have some experience with this since I have a few feral barn cats and one inside cat.

The trick to fixing a cat with these issues is rather simple and you can do it one of two ways.

The humane way is to feed it dinner, make sure it's happy, take it outside and shoot it.

The inhumane way is to feed it dinner, make sure it's happy, drive it 40 miles from your house and drop it off so someone else can inherit the problem.

Hint: you can't fix a cat's problems.

They are smarter than you are.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Did your vet check for diabetes.

A “tubby” cat who suddenly begins urinating outside its litter box, and displaying almost constant hunger could be diabetic.

I lost my little buddy of 18 years a week ago.

He was diabetic up until remission two months ago. It was easy to treat; I gave him an injection of insulin each morning and each evening.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Maybe she's upset that she's tubby now and acting out because she doesn't know how to lose weight. Or maybe she wants to get laid and needs to be spayed. Idk. Like Lumenari said, cat problems are hard. I haven't owned too many cats so I'm not learned in their ways but I did have a cat as a child that literally hated everyone except my younger sister and would growl, hiss and attack you fiercely if you were not her.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I'm surprised your Vet wasn't more helpful. Has you cat been spayed?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   

We took her to the vet and she’s in good health although a little tubby.

Did they run tests. It sounds like kitty diabetes. Sorry. Best of luck.

edit on 4-10-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   
The humane thing to do is not to take moronic advice to be a moron and kill/dump it, but to get a new vet. To me, this sounds like a symptom of diabetes, but it really could be a number of things presenting itself, ranging from thyroid problems (which can indeed be hard to pin down) to kidney disease.

I.E, get a new vet. I've had my fair share of them, it takes a while to find the one who cares enough leave no stone unturned for you.

BTW, I don't recall you mentioning how old this cat is. Age matters significantly when trying to pin down health issues.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Sorry you lost your precious kitty. You gave him a good long life and surely lots of love.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Often times cats urinate if they feel their territory is being threatened. Have you noticed any other cats outside your home? Also, you need to make sure your cat is ‘fixed’.

edit on 2019/10/4 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 01:46 AM
link   

If all other methods fail, maybe something like this could work, but inside, and made pretty so it would look like a part of home decor?

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 02:15 AM
link   

I had a cat...once. It came with the wife.

I don't have a cat anymore.

Best I got, sorry.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Years ago I was listening to a late night radio show not C2C, any who they had a cat physic on and she related a story a of a cat that began crapping in the wife shoes. The cat had never done anything like this. They call her in and it turned out the wife was cheating on the hubby in the bedroom and the cat took offence to that. Have you done anything to piss the cat off? No pun intended.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I agree that you need a second vet opinion. Peeing on something soft usually points to pain.

We have one cat that had every last physical cause ruled out. He's now on Prozac.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

I have some experience with this since I have a few feral barn cats and one inside cat.

The trick to fixing a cat with these issues is rather simple and you can do it one of two ways.

The humane way is to feed it dinner, make sure it's happy, take it outside and shoot it.

The inhumane way is to feed it dinner, make sure it's happy, drive it 40 miles from your house and drop it off so someone else can inherit the problem.

Hint: you can't fix a cat's problems.

They are smarter than you are.

You *can* fix cat problems. I have done it many times.

I hope you're being sarcastic. Otherwise, perhaps it might be enlightening for you to be dropped off in the wilderness. These animals are sentient beings with emotions and personalities as large as our own.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   

How much do you trust your vet? Did you notice anything unusual about the urine? Did it smell off? Did it look dark or kind of orangish/reddish? Did it seem like the amount of a normal release, or just enough to mark it? Is the kitty still eating and drinking normally? Maybe kinda rub the belly and body -- not roughly, but firmly -- and see if the kitty flinches from pain at any spots, or otherwise reacts. That might help you pin down any physical ailment the doctor missed.

If she checks out healthwise, it may be stress, or nature taking its course. Has the cat been spayed/neutered? If not, it could be responding to a cat in heat (if it's male), or be in heat (if it's female). Did the neighbors get a new pet that your cat is smelling and doesn't like? Or is one of you around another cat while you're away from the house that the cat is smelling when you get home? Cats can get very jealous!

You can buy calming sprays at pet stores. I've only used them when I have to crate cats for whatever reason, but it might help if your cat is stressed about something.

Good luck. I wish I could be more help.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Thank you all for the advice except one. She is spayed. I guess I will take her to a new vet and see what they come up with and have them test for diabetes. Thanks again.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Are you kidding me?
Or just all of ATS?
Or yourself?
Toxoplasmosis gondii.

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Usually peeing in a bed or couch is a urinary tract infection .... however it can also be other issues such as : diabetes , ....dirty cat litter ,....tumor in pancreases ....or social behavior from being lonely . .... my first guess is urinary tract infection ,... I agree you need to go to a different vet for a second opinion .... your cat is trying to tell you there’s a problem ....and you can purchase cat litter that will turn colors when your cat pees in it ...the color of the cat litter can tell you what heath issue your cat is having ... the ph in the urine will interact with the cat litter and turn a specific color .... I recommend you try that cat litter too.
edit on 4-10-2019 by Meldionne1 because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You fell for the trap.
You Toxoplasmosis fool.

They got yo numba mow.
You cruel,cruel bastard.

When I was a kid wandering the streets
of San Diego, I remember seeing kittens and cats
stuffed dead in the chest high cinder block wall
hollows that defined a front yard and
bordered the sidewalk.

Back in the Anton LeVey/Manson days.
When there were tents on street corners
with "hippies' handing out purple haze
to all the kids in the neighborhood.
6 and 7 year old kids.
Just like candy.
Dead Cats in Top hats performing
trendy Satanic Rituals.

www.peta.org...
edit on 4-10-2019 by Wildmanimal because: Add content

edit on 4-10-2019 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

edit on 4-10-2019 by Wildmanimal because: Finish content

posted on Oct, 4 2019 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I have had cats all my life and I am old. More than likely it is a urinary tract infection which cats get easily and meds will clear up. If the kitty isn't treated it could kill the kitty.

My one rescue kitty was doing the same as yours. She was "claiming" me. I moved her litter box next to where she was peeing. I also sprayed lemon juice on a few cotton balls and placed around the area she was peeing on my sofa. She immediately stopped peeing on the sofa. Of course, I ended up throwing the sofa away.

Best wishes. Cats are the best.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join