It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Gun Detector

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I came across this from one of my subscribed channels and was very impressed by it. It is mentioned in the video that there are already those working on gun detection, but they are IMO taking it to far by making it invasive. This is right on target of how it should be. The program being worked on will identify someone actively holding a gun not one if it is concealed or in a holster. Identifying an active threat quickly can save lives and I hope to see it developed fully and implemented.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

While I can see this helping a little bit, it still comes down to how fast the threat can be responded to once the program identifies a weapon in someones hand.

Taking this idea a little further, what if all guns are made with a chip inside them that allows them to be deactivated the second they are identified by this system as a threat? You could have someone watching ready to hit the button or have it fully automated with A.I. taking the place of the watcher.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

I love a good dystopian novel.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Pretty easy to disable a chip, guns are mechanical. Someone looking to cause harm ahead of time would surly get around something like that ahead of time. Just take the battery out. It would be another measure that only kept honest people honest.

One of the reasons I posted this is because it doesn't infringe on rights. The uselessness of a chip aside I think of it as an infringement and a way to drive up the price. People are looking for solutions and while identifying threats is not a solution to fit every instance I believe it is an acceptable investment and one that would help save lives with little or no pushback from those like myself who honor the constitution which includes the 2nd.

I am thankful the designer both respects personal rights and is spending his own time trying to develop the technology to make people safer.
edit on 30-9-2019 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

If I am holding a gun in my hand with the intention of using it, the last thing there will be is a chip in the gun determining a successful discharge or not. It might be handy software for armed robots policing our streets but that's the only real application I can see.

"You have 20 seconds to comply."

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ManWhoWasThursday

It would stop mass shootings almost completely. Of course it would open up a whole host of other issues. Criminals making a device that could shut down homeowners guns when they break in etc. Maybe only require certain types of guns to have these chips? Semi-auto rifles and handguns. Leave it out of shotguns so people would still have a valid way of home defense.

Just thinking out loud.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Anything that is automated or electric can be hacked.

The right minds could disable police weapons wholesale assuming they're not exempt... And if they were, that would put a target on them for criminals to obtain them.

And also, like Grimpachi said... The gun could just be modded or outright made without it. There are plenty of gunsmiths out there.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

If I am holding a gun in my hand with the intention of using it, the last thing there will be is a chip in the gun determining a successful discharge or not. It might be handy software for armed robots policing our streets but that's the only real application I can see.

"You have 20 seconds to comply."

You could make it so it only activates when in public around a system like this. In your home it would operate as usual.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Anything that is automated or electric can be hacked.

The right minds could disable police weapons wholesale assuming they're not exempt... And if they were, that would put a target on them for criminals to obtain them.

And also, like Grimpachi said... The gun could just be modded or outright made without it. There are plenty of gunsmiths out there.

It really depends on how it was made. It could be made in a way that makes the gun unusable if you tamper with the chip. Of course it could be hacked and modded, but it would probably stop a lot of mass shooting just by the knowledge that it is there. School shootings in particular.

I'm not saying it's a good idea, just that its something to think about.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
You could make it so it only activates when in public around a system like this. In your home it would operate as usual.

Have you ever seen the internals of a gun? Criminals will modify the trigger group and that was it.

Criminals will rebuild that system and then you are complete defenseless.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Fair enough, and I think you're approaching it in a way like you said "just thinking out loud". We should always be able to discuss things.

I just think adding electronics to the inner workings of guns would end up with more bad to the good guys, and more good to the bad guys.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Fair enough, and I think you're approaching it in a way like you said "just thinking out loud". We should always be able to discuss things.

I just think adding electronics to the inner workings of guns would end up with more bad to the good guys, and more good to the bad guys.

You may be right. It's just an idea that occurred to me reading the OP.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I liked where it seemed they wanted to go with it. Interfacing directly to law enforcement and giving them as he put it "God's eye view" of the situation would allow a much quicker and accurate response. This could be tied to automated locks and alarms as well so there is no lag time for police to be alerted as well as a possible system to lock down all doors in a facility to anyone without a "key" which could be as simple as a card or as precise as biometrics. I think such an avenue would drastically improve the survival of victims in such active shooter incidents, but importantly not be a danger to those who might be defending themselves.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Correct. The only way would be electronics inside the bullets and even that can be manipulated, as everything can be.
As long as there is a hammer striking on a cap, no amount of electronics will be of help.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
This is obviously in the beginning stages where he has only been able to identify handguns, but it can be taken much further especially if he had help. It would take a while to identify every gun but AR-15's are probably easier to identify with the program without having constraints such as having someone hold it.

Imagine a school being warned before a shooter even entered the school.
edit on 30-9-2019 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

I liked where it seemed they wanted to go with it. Interfacing directly to law enforcement and giving them as he put it "God's eye view" of the situation would allow a much quicker and accurate response. This could be tied to automated locks and alarms as well so there is no lag time for police to be alerted as well as a possible system to lock down all doors in a facility to anyone without a "key" which could be as simple as a card or as precise as biometrics. I think such an avenue would drastically improve the survival of victims in such active shooter incidents, but importantly not be a danger to those who might be defending themselves.

That's an idea as well. You could also incorporate some kind of directed audio weapon that would incapacitate the person who is deemed a threat.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Won't lie...totally had a skynet vision of police dispatching a taser drone/drones to subdue the attacker. Obviously in a home defense situation though it could just as easily victimize the victim even more so unless there was human control behind it.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

That's a good idea too.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Won't lie...totally had a skynet vision of police dispatching a taser drone/drones to subdue the attacker. Obviously in a home defense situation though it could just as easily victimize the victim even more so unless there was human control behind it.

I pictured giant audio cannons popping up out of the ground blasting the person with the gun with the brown frequency, making them crap their pants and vomit uncontrollably.

Lol.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I'm sure the government loves your dreams of our future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join