It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"UFO" abbreviation is now outdated. Shall we call them "UAP" instead?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Just wondering why the good old "UFO" abbreviation is getting replaced?
Now they are "Unidentified Aerial Phenomena".

How many other abbreviations for the UFOs (USOs) are out there?

Last week, a Navy official publicly called these mysterious objects “Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP),” giving name to the inscrutable little dots and reigniting scrutiny around the unidentified flying objects (a term the Navy does not want to use even though the objects that are flying cannot be identified.)

Source is www.washingtonpos... t.com

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: iasenko

Last week, a Navy official publicly called these mysterious objects “Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP),” giving name to the inscrutable little dots and reigniting scrutiny around the unidentified flying objects (a term the Navy does not want to use even though the objects that are flying cannot be identified.)

Depends on Political Correctness
Which one do you believe would cause the aliens to be offended ?

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Haha! Good one!

It's U.F.O's. I'm a rebel.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Haha! Good one!

It's U.F.O's. I'm a rebel.

Yeah , I thought about the difference which amounts to no difference .
They both refer to objects moving through the air.
As I am an old school rebel , I go with UFO also.

edit on 9/30/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:27 AM
link   
STIDKWIW.

Something I Don't Know What It Was.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Who cares what we call them.

It all references the same thing, something unidentifiable.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: iasenko

Unidentified Aerial Phenomena (UAP) is used by aviation professionals

First used by Ted Roe of NARCAP (i think)

but ever since the Robertson Report and the 'point and laugh' media still like to used it with x-files music in the background

UAP's seem a logical progression

FBJ

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I'll stick with UFO, it just has the sound to it or something. BTW UAP is nothing new basicly the exact same thing and maybe even has been used as long as UFO.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: iasenko

IMO, maybe it was updated to account for the interdimensional hypothesis where 'flying' is not observed but more of an 'appearing' and 'disappearing' phenomenon. Also, some 'objects' appear alive so 'phenomena' better describes the account.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Couple of points:

• The term 'UFO' has not been replaced.
  • And the term 'UAP' has been in use for a long time.

I don't think this is a worthy of a thread

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   

The slight change from our "seeing" them as physical objects to a mysticalphenomena that we can't identify is in keeping with some obscure but long-standing beliefs in the UFO community that, seriously, there is far more to the things than that which meets the eye.

Basically, our normal grasp of reality is too short-sighted. That is the gist of this whole business not one of simply(!) contending with everyday ETs from some other planet.

Whether it is the multiple universes that some science theories suggest or the "woo-woo" astral world, something far different is at play. And nobody is going to like it much.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: terriertail

The slight change from our "seeing" them as physical objects to a mysticalphenomena that we can't identify is in keeping with some obscure but long-standing beliefs in the UFO community that, seriously, there is far more to the things than that which meets the eye.

Basically, our normal grasp of reality is too short-sighted. That is the gist of this whole business not one of simply(!) contending with everyday ETs from some other planet.

Whether it is the multiple universes that some science theories suggest or the "woo-woo" astral world, something far different is at play. And nobody is going to like it much.

But which is more offensive to aliens ?
We most definitely do not want to call their ships the wrong thing.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: terriertail

Aerial phenomenon does not imply mystical, just like Flying Object never implied extraterrestrial.

But I can already see the UFO community corrupt the UAP abbreviation for whatever they feel like.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I thought UAP became popular in the UK as a way to avoid FOIA-type requests looking for UFO documents.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I thought the new word was U.I.T.A.T.M. - Up in the air thingy mabobs!

I think people like to change it from U.F.O. to U.A.P. because of the connotations linking it to assumed "flying saucers" and all the crazy stuff it can bring with it. Say U.F.O. to anyone these days and it means aliens instead of something unidentified.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: coursecatalog

Nick Pope explained why the British MoD first created the acronym "UAP" in the 1990s:

The term “UFO” has become as obsolete and baggage-laden as the now largely-defunct “flying saucer”... When the question “do you believe in UFOs?” is misinterpreted as “do you think we’re being visited by aliens?” then we clearly have a problem.

We addressed this in the MoD in the 1990s by replacing “UFO” with “UAP”, for Unidentified Aerial Phenomena. It got us increased funding and made a few senior officials take the matter more seriously, because they felt we were looking at a science problem, not a science fiction mystery.

Not only that, Pope exported the term to the States in 2011...

Years later, in 2011, I was one of the briefers at a private gathering in Washington DC, chaired by Bill Clinton’s former chief of staff John Podesta, who has a longstanding interest in the issue. It was reminiscent of an episode of The X-Files and there was even a former CIA director sitting at the back, playing no part in the discussion, but silently taking notes. I briefed attendees on the MoD’s use of the term “UAP” and the message clearly hit home.

So yup, it was our fault.

edit on 30-9-2019 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

At least we can blame you for Nick Pope.

America has almost the entire UFO circus to answer for.

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: coursecatalog
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

At least we can blame you for Nick Pope.

Thank you for taking him!

posted on Sep, 30 2019 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I like my two acronyms:

UFO = Unidentified Flying Object
PAFO = Potentially Alien Flying Object

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit

Nick Pope explained why the British MoD first created the acronym "UAP" in the 1990s

I'd really take whatever Nick Pope says with a rather large mountain of salt mate - so often these days the pertinent links have been deleted but the term goes back way further than that.

In the same section, reference is made to the term 'UAP', suggesting that it was coined exclusively for the production of the Condign report. I have seen similar claims by Nick elsewhere, but I have come across the term sporadically in much earlier documents from the MoD, the earliest which I have come across was dated 27th November 1964 and can be viewed at: www.uk-ufo.org...

I am sure that as the wholesale release of DAS and DI55 files progresses, many more examples of the use of the term 'UAP' will emerge. Would you care to expand on that, Nick?

ufoupdateslist.com...

Make of it what you will but Hynek also discusses in this vid the early Russian Academy of Scientist's report entitled 'observations of Anomalous Atmospheric Phenomenon in the USSR'.

Cheers.
edit on 8-11-2019 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join