It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Hizbollah Warns: Syrian Pullout Could Lead To Peace Between Israel and Lebanon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The Lebanese based terrorist group Hizbollah has come out against opponents of Syria. Hizbollah, Lebanon's most powerful political party has called for a rally protesting Western interference in Lebanon. Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, the chief of the group stated his opposition to the Syrian pullout stating that It would force Lebanon into peace with Israel. Hizbollah, or the Party of God was formed in 1982 and is believed to be financed in part by Iran. It also has evolved in a fashion similar to the IRA in that it has both militant and political wings.

story.news.yahoo.com
BEIRUT (Reuters) - Hizbollah, Lebanon's most powerful party, threw its weight against Syria's opponents on Sunday, calling for a peaceful mass rally in central Beirut on Tuesday in support of Damascus and against Western meddling.

The Shi'ite Muslim group, which has the largest following in the country and is the only one with weapons, has in the past steered clear of plunging into internal Lebanese politics or flexing its political muscles against domestic rivals.

But after Syria announced Saturday a two-phased total troop withdrawal from Lebanon, the staunchly anti-Israeli group entered the domestic political ring facing the opposition.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting and proves my point that there are parties on both sides that have no interest in peace. If Lebanon makes it peace with Israel, Syria will be in effect Isolated both politically and by sheer geography. While they can align themselves with Iran in what can only be termed as "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" type relationship, it doubtful that such an alliance will have a huge benefit. If the countries shared a border it may be different. Without outside help, Israel should be able to handle Syria if they chose to invade. Assad's options are getting limited each day.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Wow looks like another civil war could eventuate in Lebanon. Great

Maybe thats why the US has been pushing so hard to get the Syrians out of Lebanon. It creates instability which is great for generating excuses to move in and "secure the area".

God im getting so cynical and paranoid

[edit on 6/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Maybe thats why the US has been pushing so hard to get the Syrians out of Lebanon. It creates instability which is great for generating excuses to move in and "secure the area".

I don't know about a civil war. Esp if peacekeepers are moved in to fill the void as it were. It will be someplace to watch no doubt, and you can bet that Hizbollah will get pretty frisky when the Syrians are gone, but if more pressure can be brought to bear on Syria about that then we may be able to keep then under controll.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   
If Hezbollah and their backers are going to clash with the rest of the Lebanese people then I can only see civil war eventuating. You cant really negotiate with Hezbollah if you are going to create a state of peace with Israel.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
so just surrendering to hizbollah is your solution subz? playing safe is not worth it.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Thanks for putting those words in my mouth, when my brain stops functioning I'll give you a call to give me a hand.

I have been wondering why the US was so vocal so suddenly over Syria's removal of its troops from Lebanon. Where was their angle? You dont ramp pressure up on a country for no good reason.

My solution for Hezbollah would be to call for their disarming and involvment in the pollitical process, much like IRA in the North Ireland Assembley. If they refuse to disarm then request the intervention of the UN. But we must remember that the Lebanese Government dissolved itself so there is no one running the country legitimately.

All the ingredients for civil war are there, especially with Lebanons recent history and ethnic make up.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
If Hezbollah and their backers are going to clash with the rest of the Lebanese people then I can only see civil war eventuating. You cant really negotiate with Hezbollah if you are going to create a state of peace with Israel.

But Hizbollah requires Backing and haven from both Syria and Lebanaon. If you get a government that is making peace with isreal, and Syria isolated, then thier ability to run free as it were will be limited. the attacks will not stop, but it narrows down thier ability to hide.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think it is about time that the Syrians cashed in their chips and left Lebanon. Lebanon was once mostly Christian but the Muslims, as they have a tend to do, took care of the Christian population through persecution, murder and rape. When Syria leaves (be it with help or without), Hezbullah will be in the crapper. Lebanon would make peace with Israel - and Hizbullah is going to shrink into the nothingness from where they came from (That means crawl back up Iran's *ss).

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is the news forum, please don't circumvent the censors.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Perhaps some Lebanese sees the pull out of Lebanon by the Syrians as a good thing, but the ones that have been observing the development of all this ordeal knows better, this part of the news link called my attention.

"The aim of America and Israel is to spread chaos in Lebanon and bring back Lebanon to a state of chaos to find excuses for foreign intervention and to push some Lebanese to call for international intervention," Nasrallah told a news conference.

Perhaps is not chaos in Lebanon that they want but in Syria that is my opinion Lebanon is just the door that was open to achieving the goal.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow my paranoia isnt unfounded after all. It wouldnt suprise me at all if that was the aim all along.

After all what would the Syrians gain from blowing Hariri to kingdom come? Absolutely nothing.

Lebanon in anarchy plays right into the hands of Israel and the US.

[edit on 6/3/05 by subz]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Wait, how is peace falling into the hands of US and Israel? What? Like peace is that bad? Well, in the confederate/red/Bush states the national anthem Dixie has in it "Pick up your rifle and fight peace" so I guess they could see peace as being a bad thing.

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   

BEIRUT, Lebanon - The militant group Hezbollah, largely on the fence since anti-Syrian protests erupted in Lebanon last month, switched gears Sunday and threw its weight behind Syria and its allies — calling for massive rallies in Beirut to show loyalty to Damascus.

The move by Hezbollah's powerful and politically savvy leader, Sheik Hassan Nasrallah, could prove crucial: The Iranian-founded, anti-Israeli Shiite Muslim group, which the United States calls a terrorist organization, has emerged as a key player during Lebanon's latest slide into political instability — capable of tilting the balance either in favor of the pro-Syrian government or the anti-Syrian opposition.
Hezbollah Mobilizes Supporters for Syria

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
And word from the Lebanese themselves of Hezbollah:

The Lebanese told the officials that Lebanon has no further claims against Israel and that they do not understand why Hezbollah insists on continuing hostilities over the Sheba Farms region.

Assad: Syrian troops to withdraw to Lebanon's Bekaa

No wonder that Hezbollah is saying what they are:
Hizbollah Warns: Syrian Pullout Could Lead To Peace Between Israel and Lebanon

seekerof

top topics

join