posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:53 AM
The biggest problem vis-a-vis voting issues in the US is the 2 Party System. The US population has been successfully split in two, each “side”
having been turned into what amounts to rabid fans routing for a football team. The “team” becomes more important than working together to
actually solve problems. Yo NOTE - if you’re first reaction to that statement is to think something accusatory about the other “side”, IMO you
are a victim of your “side’s” propaganda. The 2 Party System has FAILED IMO - it certainly has not failed the career politicians, or the
lobbyists, or the bureaucrats - but it has failed the American People.
Let’s make a statement about voting that both “sides” should be able to agree on (because every politician says they’re for it - on both
sides): “We want to ensureFree and Fair Elections” - are we agreed? Now, let’s talk about solutions to make this a reality.
The ONLY answer to ensure free and fair elections in the US involves reworking/enacting several pieces of legislation, as follows:
(1) Voter ID laws - MUST be mandatory. Most prevalent legal objection to this type of law has been the cost of obtaining an ID (including the
documentation required to obtain an ID - birth certificate, etc.) being equivalent to a “Poll Tax” which is illegal. Possible solutions: make
obtaining an ID (incl the cost of obtaining proper supporting documentation) free to all. The cost would be a fraction of providing “free
healthcare” or “free college” for all. Second - if we do move to Medicare for all, this type of program WILL require a Medicare card of some
sort (This Medicare Card will becomes a de facto “National ID Card” - which would be free as well). This could be an opportunity to replace/verify
and scrub the voter rolls. Once the Voter rolls are purged, should be a relatively simple matter to keep them updated.
(2) ALL “same day” voter registration laws must be ruled unconstitutional
(3) ALL “Vote Harvesting” laws must be ruled unconstitutional
(NOTE - IMO Those who say “voter fraud is never been proven to be a problem” are either don’t realize that - since this practice is LEGAL in
certain States - isn’t part of the vast majority of “investigations” into voter fraud or they are okay with it because their “side” benefits
(4) Gerrymandering - stop all “redrawing” of districts, regardless of population. Either take all districts back to the original layout from 1911
when the House was set at 435 members, or freeze all districts at their current state.
(5) Change All Election Days to Friday thru Sunday - and make Friday a Holiday - mandating that ALL workers be given ONE of those days off to vote.
Absentee ballots must be received, verified and those names scrubbed from the voting rolls BEFORE Election Weekend. Election Weekend should be the
first weekend in September instead of in November.
(6) Mandate that ALL Officials involved in ANY election cannot have ANY Affiliation with a Political Party or be a donor to same.
(7) Ensure that Constitutional Principles like the Electoral College are preserved.
(8) To ensure you TRULY have 3 Completely Separate and Equal Branches of Government that TRULY act
to serve as a system of Checks and Balances, it should be written into law that the President of the United States MUST be an Independent - with no
affiliation with any political Party. If you are to lead ALL Americans, and be looking SOLELY for their benefit - you cannot have your “Party’s”
interests as a factor. You MUST be completely objective and impartial. This would be the single best thing that ever happened to the US.
Now, the next suggestion goes beyond just voting laws, is separate from the above suggestions, is aspirational (representing my opinion of the
“ideal” system) but is suggested to REALLY fix the overall political system in the US:
Outlaw Political Parties. If you remove the “teams”, you remove the impetus to “win” for political purposes over doing what’s right for
the Country. This would take off the Party chains and allow for open debate about ideas - wins” would be as a group of individuals acting together
for the greater good- as originally intended- instead of towing a Party Line. Discuss.....