It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you agree with performance-related pay/bonuses etc for actors?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
So, some actors may sign onto different contracts for different roles in different movies.

For example:

E.g. Actor C gets paid a base sum of $120,000 for acting in a medium-budget movie. In his contract, it is also stipulated that he will be paid an additional $80,000 for every ten million dollars that the movie makes at box office etc (performance-related). It is also stipulated in the contract that Actor C will be paid an additional $50,000 for every sequel that he stars in, should sequels be made (on top of any base he is offered).

Do you agree with this? If you were an actor, what sort of pay/bonus structure would you prefer?
edit on 18-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

This is a question I have pondered most of my life, sometimes at night it haunts me, can’t sleep, frett
Be sad if actors don’t get what they deserve, feel bad for them now, they might miss out on money

I just realised I can’t spell frett

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Pay is entirely based on leverage.
Actors with a successful career will get a bigger payout than an unknown.
Some get extremely lucky like Emma Watson being cast is Harry Potter.
She likely got payed on the performance of the movies early on and her base salary increases significantly as the movies come out.

The actors union also has rules to be followed.

Do I agree?
Don't really care to be honest.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

This is a question I have pondered most of my life, sometimes at night it haunts me, can’t sleep, frett
Be sad if actors don’t get what they deserve, feel bad for them now, they might miss out on money

Come on, bud. It's in general chat. If I'd asked this same question, but put "bankers" instead of "actors", it'd be a different story entirely.
edit on 18-9-2019 by TheRepublicOfCanada because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Will you please link your material?

What would you call a medium budget movie?

For pay, I will prefer cash please.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRepublicOfCanada
So, some actors may sign onto different contracts for different roles in different movies.

For example:

E.g. Actor C gets paid a base sum of $120,000 for acting in a medium-budget movie. In his contract, it is also stipulated that he will be paid an additional $80,000 for every ten million dollars that the movie makes at box office etc (performance-related). It is also stipulated in the contract that Actor C will be paid an additional $50,000 for every sequel that he stars in, should sequels be made (on top of any base he is offered).

Do you agree with this? If you were an actor, what sort of pay/bonus structure would you prefer?

It is between the actors and the movie studios. Many big named actors already do this to help the budgets of movies they believe in, but the producers may not be able to afford their going rates the same as a big budget studio. So an actor may take a $250k salary but want 1 or 2% of gross revenues or profit.

This is how most highly paid professional work. CEOs get paid based on performance (stock prices). Big shot Wall Street executives are paid in bonuses based on profitability of their group or trades.

I work in sales. I get paid on my ability to bring in revenue. Realtors. Any type of commission based employment.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

One less "t" and you got it bro.

Turn that
into a

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Begrudgingly, well yeah apologies, bit rude
People complaining about the monarchy in another thread and to me they are as useless as actors but, not really anything I can do or really care about

Should have stayed out of your thread I guess but I’t did seem to crossover from the monarchy thread

Some people treat actors like royalty, some treat royalty like actors
I couldnt really care less to be honest, whatever floats your boat

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Fret 😁👍🌈🦄

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

I agree.
Somebody becomes a celebrity for dribbling a basketball or performing a part on screen and all of a sudden their opinion on politics is supposed to matter.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I'm an actor and have been in over 250 projects, commercials, TV shows, festival shorts, corporate presentations, feature films and new media. I'm satisfied with my SAG-AFTRA contracts for union scale and residuals. And I don't resent the 10% my talent agency receives for my paid performances; without her I wouldn't get any gigs. It's none of my business how A listers conduct their business.

I also work above the line as producer/writer/director for film and TV and those contracts are negotiated by myself and the attorneys.

In the beginning I worked as a background/extra/driver for min. wage and the occasional "bump"..... non union on more films/TV than I can remember.

Currently working crew/consultant as a gaffer, grip, props, sound, DP, PA, EPK, crafty.. on indy projects for producer/director/writer with a budget; often however I work for nothing if I like the script/concept however I expect a slice of the pie if the project makes any money. I'm also writing and producing my own films and TV series; chasing the money for funding is the brutal part of this industry.

I'm at work now ....

Livin the dream...Union proud, Union Strong.

edit on 18-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Who cares how much they make. Just makes me realize just how poor I am. Atleast house is paid off and I'm 100%out of debt. As far as agreeing or disagreeing I dont understand the question. The money ain't coming from my pocket or yours so what's the point?

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I have been in the industry for 30 years.....I never am on stage or on screen...I am electrics and audio.

Every gig I do is contract based, and yes, even I get bonuses and residuals. I do think that is the best way to get the best performance out of anyone working on the project.

In my "real" job, the economy has been so good that the company now pays profit sharing....morale is up and so are the work habits of our entire staff.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Raggedyman

I agree.
Somebody becomes a celebrity for dribbling a basketball or performing a part on screen and all of a sudden their opinion on politics is supposed to matter.

Politics? What about abortion, the environment, war, famine, climate change, social injustice, etc? Don't limit yourself, they spout about everything.

On the other hand, i have to say i blame media companies for this - news networks, etc. For example, "we are talking today about the ongoing civil war in Yemen. Join us after the break when we have Bono joining us in the studio". When it should actually be "Join us after the break when we are joined by Major 'X' who has spent the last 10 years peace keeping in the country".

Having said all that though, it is fairly similar here on ATS where we all have an opinion on everything.......

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Not every actor earns that much, in fact it's only a very small percent!

Most actors spend ages trying to get their first well paid job .... like myself. Yes, you can get paid for extra and background stuff but that's not what I took classes for and only did that to gain experience on set! Indie films pay next to nothing or nothing at all, except maybe back end pay if the film makes anything and expenses.

If i was offered 50,000 to star in a Film, I think it would be well deserved (after waiting so long). Also, don't forget if the film goes on to be a big blockbuster, it will mainly be because of the Actor/s because without actors... you've got nothing.

There are a lot of scammers in the industry too to look out for... I ,myself, was scammed by some American guy claiming to be a top producer who had gained big funds for a few movies either in Producton or Development!

edit on CDTThu, 19 Sep 2019 12:53:54 -05000000003012x154x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

There are a lot of scammers in the industry too to look out for... I ,myself, was scammed by some American guy claiming to be a top producer who had gained big funds for a few movies either in Producton or Development!

I have been scammed as well. I worked on a show and it took me 9 years to get paid. I would never have been paid if my union SAG hadn't of tracked down the production company and forced them to pay the actors and crew.

I have never even had the oppertunity to audition for a staring or co staring role. Only the rare supporting role, usually day playing. It's the reason I now apply for above the line gigs or crew with IATSE my other union.

I always look up potential employ on imdb and that isn't always reliable.

edit on 19-9-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join