It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Ford certified for everything but F-35

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   
The US Navy has certified the USS Gerald Ford to operate every Navy type of aircraft, with the exception of the F-35C. The ship will require further modification to operate them, which will take place after she leaves yard hands. The AAG on the ship is designed to reduce stress on aircraft when landing, as well as extend time between replacement of the arresting gear. Ford, like the Nimitz class is capable of deploying the F-35C for short periods, but not a full length deployment. The first F-35C squadrons won't be capable of deploying until 2021, when they will deploy for the first time on the Carl Vinson.

The USS John F. Kennedy will also enter service requiring the same upgrades. The USS Enterprise will be the first to enter service with all required equipment for the F-35.

The USS Gerald R. Ford, the Navy's new supercarrier, can now land all of the service's planes, except for its new stealth fighter.
The Advanced Arresting Gear has been given a green light to recover all "propeller and jet" aircraft, to include the C-2A Greyhound, E-2C Hawkeye and E-2D Advanced Hawkeye, F/A-18E/F Super Hornet, and E/A-18G Growler, the Navy said in a statement Tuesday.

These aircraft can all conduct flight operations aboard the Ford.

taskandpurpose.com...

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm not versed in the details, but how did they not know that was going to be an issue? Seems a no o brainer to design it to use planned airframes on a daily basis.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: pavil

But then you can't get another pile of cash for a massive refit.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Because there wasn't a rush to prepare it for the F-35C. In February, they declared IOC, after VFA-147, the first F-35C squadron, showed 10 aircraft and support equipment on the books. They aren't planning to deploy on their first long term deployment for another two years. The priority has always been to prepare it for the aircraft currently in use, and then deal with future requirements. The Ford won't make her first deployment until at least 2022 after the delays and problems found during her trials. In July, after spending 81 days at sea, she entered a year long upgrade and maintenance period.

edit on 8/16/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Are these normal bugs to be worked out on a new class of Capital Ships? Do they usually go through such growing pains? It's alarming considering the cost of each of these Carriers. I would expect them to get things right initially and plan ahead for advancements in tech that are known to be in the pipeline.

How much more money is going to be needed till the Ford is fully capable?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Are these normal bugs to be worked out on a new class of Capital Ships? Do they usually go through such growing pains? It's alarming considering the cost of each of these Carriers. I would expect them to get things right initially and plan ahead for advancements in tech that are known to be in the pipeline.

How much more money is going to be needed till the Ford is fully capable?

This post sounds soooo cool, "New class of Capital Ships."

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Because there wasn't a rush to prepare it for the F-35C. In February, they declared IOC, after VFA-147, the first F-35C squadron, showed 10 aircraft and support equipment on the books. They aren't planning to deploy on their first long term deployment for another two years. The priority has always been to prepare it for the aircraft currently in use, and then deal with future requirements. The Ford won't make her first deployment until at least 2022 after the delays and problems found during her trials. In July, after spending 81 days at sea, she entered a year long upgrade and maintenance period.

What type of power projection does this New Supercarrier have and are their any rivals to it?

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

It's fairly common for any new ship. It would be nice to not have any problems, but this is a massively complex system to get right on the first try.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

It's a slightly larger Nimitz, with more modern systems. Improved radar, more advanced aircraft handling systems, better weapons systems....

There's still nothing even close to a Nimitz, let alone a Ford.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I heard a bit bout the testing while i was up at Pax river. I heard a rumor that the engine was so big that you couldnt do an engine change below decks.

Will be interesting to know how the stealth coating holds up under sea conditions. I know rainstorms were wiping out the csnopy coatings for awhile.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

The canopy is one of the reasons they're having supply chain issues. It's hurting their MC rate and ability to build a parts stockpile.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This capability yas never been seen before, actually. It'll be worth waiting for, exciting to have Lightnings out doin sorties ruling the whole area. They have a computer onboard that sees everything around and can shoot em down shootin from the hip, pilot takes little nap....
edit on 16-8-2019 by GBP/JPY because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-8-2019 by GBP/JPY because: IN THE FINE TEXAS TRADITION

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It's fairly common for any new ship. It would be nice to not have any problems, but this is a massively complex system to get right on the first try.

Understandable with such a complex weapons platform. Lots of moving parts.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Arnie123

It's a slightly larger Nimitz, with more modern systems. Improved radar, more advanced aircraft handling systems, better weapons systems....

There's still nothing even close to a Nimitz, let alone a Ford.
This makes me feel better.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Ahhh. Makes sense. It was a weak point way back on LRIP one. Its gonna be a good jet....hellthe 15 and 16 went through the same teething pains. But that coating hates weather and it is different than the 22. I am sure they have fixed it if those isreali stories are true.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   

They're having a serious issue with manufacturing now. The canopy is peeling faster than expected still, and it's such a complex build, that they can't build them fast enough to keep up with the requirements for spare parts. They changed sealant a few years ago, to save money, and that sealant caused a lot of delamination issues.. They qualified PPG to repair them, and are working to qualify them to build them, which will help a lot.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=24562792]Zaphod58[/post

Interesting, we had Northrop reps in doing all the coating stuff...I assume it was the same on 22's? It seems like the two were totally different from the LO peeps I talked too. 35 was much thicker....and heavier, so LM was always trying to save weight. In fact they shaved the tires down to save weight. Except we had a grunt test pilot who landed Navy style and blew both mains.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The thicker coating is better, but then you get into the same problems the B-1 had, where you have to compromise like mad to try to save weight. The F-22 is seeing some issues with their coatings now, some of which was designed to happen.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil I was a plank owner (original crew) on Carl Vinson. These monsters take years to build and develop. In this case the F-35 was in the model stage as Ford was being laid down. By the time we took Carl Vinson on deployment, parts of the ship were 5 years or more old. Two separate contracts being built by multiple contractors aren't always gonna sing. Besides Ford had many issues from the beginning design stage. Some of the technology she was built for was yet to be deployed.

posted on Aug, 16 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58 Before I retired many of these new coatings were coming available. Not to mention Clinton's EO's that virtually made a paint chip falling into the water almost like committing genocide. These new coatings are going to have their own challenges in such harsh environments.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join