It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One quarter of the C-130 fleet grounded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Approximately 123 of 450 C-130H and J models have paused operations. All are aircraft that didn't receive the extended service life center wing box, and are at or near 15,000 hours. A single aircraft undergoing inspection was found with atypical cracking at the lower center wing joint, or rainbow fitting.

The pause will not affect overseas operations. Each aircraft will require an 8 hour inspection. If no cracks are found, they will return to service.

www.defensenews.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Better safe than sorry. When did the C-130 enter service and how much longer do the armed services expect them to continue flying? I used see them fly over several times a week as a kid and it never got old.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Cravens

The first C-130s entered service in the 1950s. The two most common currently in use are the C-130H, introduced in 1974 and the J, introduced in 1999. The H model fleet were built in the 80s, with Js replacing the highest time aircraft. There are a few E models still around, but they're being retired and replaced. The existing fleet will be around many more years. The Hs are getting propeller and engine control upgrades.
edit on 8/8/2019 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:04 PM
link   
the planes we had were late 60's and 70's models. In fact, one of the planes I crewed is now a static display at Pope AAF. That makes me feel a bit old. All J models.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

The first J model came through Hickam in late 99 or so. They had just wrapped up a dog and pony around the world for various potential customers. It was a Lockheed owned aircraft and crew. The performance difference was incredible. An H model, with two externals mounted, going from Hickam to Marietta(the flight they were making) would have to stop at Travis for fuel. They were departing with no externals mounted, and were going to reach Marietta with 15-30 minutes before they reached their divert fuel, without stopping.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I hope there weren't any losses that triggered this.
Glad that they saw the problem and can take care of it.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

It was found during scheduled maintenance.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Love a Hercules, cool how the engineers are on the case

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Being the workhorses they are you would think the military would have an on going "recycling" program where a handful get sent in and either upgraded or parts replaced yearly to avoid disruptions like that. I bet having a contract in place like that would significantly reduce the cost that will probably be incured now to fix it.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Here's what ha

pens when the C-130 center section fails. www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
the planes we had were late 60's and 70's models. In fact, one of the planes I crewed is now a static display at Pope AAF. That makes me feel a bit old. All J models.
I know exactly how you feel. I worked on EC-130H's at the bone yard base. So long ago...…..

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

They do. There's a fleet of aircraft going through PDM at the Depot. They go so far as to remove the skin during the inspection. The thing is that it's something like 7 years between PDM visits depending on airframe and use.

posted on Aug, 8 2019 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I love the C-130s, such an amazing aircraft.

top topics

join