It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: No Military Budget for Iraq Death Benefits, Recruitment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The military budget overlooks a number of essentials for 2006. Pentagon documents say death benefits for soldiers killed in Iraq and Afghanistan next year are not in the budget; the projected shortfall is $574 million. The numbers also come up short on Army recruitment, retention and training. Even the Navy is short $20 million in its recruiting budget. Recruitment has been down in the Army Reserve and the National Guard for months - and the Army just missed its monthly recruiting goal for the first time in five years - by almost 30%.

www.washtimes.com
The military has not budgeted for the $574 million needed to pay death benefits for troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan next year, according to Pentagon documents. ...The amount would cover more than 1,000 deaths.

The numbers are included in the services'"unfunded priorities list," a document drawn up by each branch at the request of Congress to guide it as it crafts the military's annual budget. ...The Pentagon is seeking enhanced death benefits for each service member killed in Afghanistan or Iraq, a number that Thursday topped 1,650 combined, with Iraq at 1,500. ...It wants to pay the families of those killed since October 2001 close to $500,000 each, $100,000 as a death gratuity, and $400,000 of life insurance coverage.

The services do not restrict their unfunded priorities list - sometimes known as a "wish list" - to just death benefits. Their lists total $13.7 billion in spending they would like to see added to the $420 billion 2006 budget request. ...The Army asked for $4.8 billion; the Navy $3.7 billion; the Air Force $3.1 billion and the Marine Corps $2 billion.

...the Army confirmed Thursday for the first time in five years it had missed its monthly recruiting goal by almost 30 percent. It was 2,000 recruits shy of its 7,000 soldier target for February.

"We should take steps now to prevent a recruiting and retention crisis, not wait for it to happen and then react," said Missouri Rep. Ike Skelton, the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Service Committee who requested the lists from the armed forces. "I am astounded to discover that the Army has identified a shortfall of $537.5 million in funds needed for recruitment, retention and initial training to maintain the current force. Even the Navy, which is not being taxed operationally to the same extent as the Army, has identified a $20 million shortfall in its recruiting budget."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The military's budget is anything but adequate. Yet oddly, the Bush administration is pushing to invade Syria. Without even budgeting for troop recruitment and training. Never mind decent medical coverage for veterans or death benefits. True, Bush routinely funnels DOD money straight to his corporate buddies but this is getting ridiculous.

Is the Bush administration that incompetent - or is our military becoming obsolete? Are there non-human alternatives waiting in the wings?

No doubt the truth is "Top Secret" and "Confidential." Either way, the troops are out in the cold or up on charges, taking the flack for the brass.

The New Military: Microbots

The New Military: Robots with Human DNA

The New Military

Related News Links:
feeds.bignewsnetwork.com

[edit on 4-3-2005 by soficrow]

[edit on 5-3-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Well The Bush administration was asking for 82 billions to supplement the defense budget, but not money for death benefits and also not extra money for vets benefits, but their benefits will be cut under Bush proposed budget.

My husband was telling me yesterday that the recruiting officers were talking about no meeting their quota, now last month they talk about getting better by the end of the month, but now they are saying that it will be by the end of the year.

Well this is how Bush mother feels about death troops.

1. Barbara Bush: "Why should we hear about body bags? Why should I waste my beautiful mind

www.underreported.com...

So I guess like mother like son.

I found this article in ATSNN about the recruiting “Blues”

www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 4-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
These people have no respect for the troops - that's clear. They'll set them up, rip 'em off and do their mothers too. BUT - they're usually pretty sneaky about it and make sure they get what they need.

...It looks to me like they're just cutting the troops loose. They're not even pretending any more, like they don't care.

What's this all about marg? Any ideas?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Well I tell you what sofi, if the families and loves ones of our troops are not doing anything to complain for the miss treatment of them the government will only is going to get away with it.

See if the people doesn't said anything the government will just turn their head to the other side.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
There's been nothing different in this war from any war when it comes to the treatment of GI"S or vets. The whole increase in death benefits was brought to issue by pressure from civilians, not the few Republicans who jumped on that band wagon, and then wished they hadn't.. Somewhere the money will have to be found.

One difference in this war is that we have GI's surviving grotesque injuries because of the new body armor, and it's become news worthy, [thank God,].

AS for Barbara Bush--She's just a damn Bush.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kazi

One difference in this war is that we have GI's surviving grotesque injuries because of the new body armor, and it's become news worthy, [thank God,].

Agreed. ...But what stands out is that instead of gearing up for Syria - and bumping recruitment efforts - they didn't tven budget for recruitment and training.

What's that about?

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
"you're in the Army now. You'll never get rich, you sonofabitch"...

WTF did people think they were volunteering to get into the War Machine for? College benefits? Didn't you realize what the Army *does*? It KILLS PEOPLE. It BREAKS THINGS. That is *all* it is there for.

Which is why whe were not to have a standing army. It makes too much a temptation for presidents to use them. Somalia, Bosnia, Iraq (twice). Doesn't matter the party, or the ideology.

but, there are people who served because it was the Right Thing. And who knew the Service was the end in itself. not college benefits, not survival benefits. Makes me wonder about folks, both curently enlisted, who get together, marry, and have children. Wait until your 4 years are up, m'kay?

But, with the Clintons cutting down military expenditures agaist the advice of the generals and people who lived in the real, hostile world, sacrifices had to be made. They were made on training, on hardware, and on benefits. Now we lack everything that a world-class military needs.

Sadly, the cut needs to be made where it's least "critical"-care for the deceased. Because the first order of business is the "breaking things, killing people". And that requires more guns, more ammo, more bodies to throw at the enemy.

But please, will all of you who claimed the military obsolete 5 0r 6 years ago, who demanded military spending be cut, who cheered at the closure of each base, and who vehemently lobbied their Congresscritters to vote against money for the military, please stop crying about the lost benefits to soldiers, like you give a damn? There's no money because you got what you wanted. And it costs a bloody fortune more to try to get things back to speed. This is your situation, the result of your victory. Savor it, quit whining that you got your heart's desire.

posted on Mar, 4 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
this is freakin AWESOME...
not that the military is being SHAFTED... (never that)
but this makes Bush show his true colors for ALL to see...

READ MY LIPSERVICE! DEAD SOLDIERS WILL GET A SIGNIFICANT DEATH BENEFIT. (NOT)
it is what it is...
sounded good in a sound bite though...
brought his approval rating up from RATFINK to DILLHOLE

and furthermore...with the future budget shortage, we wont be able to pay our soldiers or afford the war. so they come home.

Yeah, i know this is caustic talk... but i am pissed.... he promised ONLY ONE GOOD THING to the men he sends into danger, and then "FORGETS" TO DO WHAT HE PROMISED...

in my book, we call that a MAN-BOY... a man that doesn't know how to be responsible for his promises...

like i said, all for the SOUND BITE... it obviously worked though... the public stopped ragging on him for cutting VA benefits...

now we know... Our president is a liar... (an actual surprise for some)

----Laz

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Uh huh. Bush lied. We knew that.

But why no budget for recruitment and training new troops?

We're already way over our heads in Iraq - and Bush and Rice have their eyes on Syria.

How do they expect to make war on Syria and control Iraq without more troops?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
imo..the same way he has done everything else...
borrow more money and put us more in debt

where do we get the money? darker and darker holes...

at this point, mob loan sharks might be his only option with our credit standing.

or sell our country out to other big businesses...

of course we have the robotic option.... but it is expensive also...
unless he is bluffing these countries (strong possiblility)

[edit on 7-3-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

soficrow

How do they expect to make war on Syria and control Iraq without more troops?

imo..the same way he has done everything else...
borrow more money and put us more in debt

where do we get the money? darker and darker holes...

Yep. They've pulled out that old "Fair Tax" line - we've got a federal sales tax comin. And it's gonna really stick it to ordinary folks. Cover off the deficit, national debt and war on Syria too.

US Federal Sales Tax in the Works

top topics

join