It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SEATTLE, A new mark, for a new era

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I've never heard of this before, thanks for sharing! How freaky!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Are the paranoid religious also fearful of computers now? Are they going to become a new sort of amish/luddite who doesn't use any technology that occured after 1930 or something?

Originally posted by iori_komei
I see no problem with this, it makes my life easier, though I think they need to be more direct with the verichip, as in making it a standard, unlike alot of people I have no fear of technological change and advancement

I think somewhere the point got woefully missed. This has absolutely nothing to do with a fear of technology or computers.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I agree, I think the point I was attempting to make was lost. Members like Nygdan dont seem to grasp this. Well, kudos for you that understand.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I have often read on this forum about the 'verichip' and a new 'microchipped society'. I haven't, however, thought much about it nor have I really paid any attention to it.
Earlier this afternoon I saw the 'verichip' on three different shows. Even at this point I didn't think about it too much. The one thing that bothered me, I say bothered for lack of a better term, was the way the narrator was talking about this chip. It was almost like a cheap used car salesman trying to talk you into buying a Pinto because it's 'unique'.
Obviously, I can't say for sure what, if any, kind of 'agenda' is behind the chip; but I did find the way all three shows were supporting, a bit odd.

Spartacus- out

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I do understand that all banking is just a string of numbers, but right now I at least have the option of not using them.

I know that when it begins, all transactions would have to be ok'd by me - I just believe that the elimination of cash would make it all too easy for the Feds to eventually take what they want. They already do to a certain degree. What is to stop them from taking more and more control over the next several generations?

As for hoarding cash, I wish I could. I am in fairly good shape financially, all the bills are paid, and I can't think of many things that I want that I don't go out and buy. However, I don't have stacks of extra money. I think most people don't have. If I had a savings account it would be one of those small time affairs getting 2 or 3 percent interest. I would be gaining less interest per year than my money would lose from inflation. Until interest rates rise above inflation it's pointless.

I don't fear technology, I enjoy it like most people. I just can see too many ways in which a cashless system could be abused by the "powers that be." Our government doesn't have the best track record (IMO of course) of honesty and fairness. Our current monetary system in the US is actually in violation of the US Constitution and the cashless system will be as well. I am just not willing to give up any more rights.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If it's a persons choice to do that, it's fine But someday some people may regret it.

Your fingerprint is you and your ID. It stays with you for life. If you ever had your fingerprints taken by the police and then you buy food with your fingerprints it's fair to say they can track what you are doing and buying. What if you buy something or a combination of things and it gets you on their watch list and they bust in your house or something all because they got a search warrant based on information they collected on you at the store??

Odd, Big Brother is coming down..lightly in the test phase and heavy handed when it's time to bring the ruckas... I say pay in cash.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well now I feel a little bit better to know that I am not the only one thinking this way.
The whole hording cash idea might not work so well, even if we could afford to do it. Eventually I think we will be a cashless society... so what good would cash do? I am pretty sure that there may be a better way to be financially secure. Some other commodity maybe, that would be easy enough to trade. I have no clue what, but, then again, who really does.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Maybe gold would be a good resource to stock up? But if the cashless socirty thing does happen...maybe not... geezum crow, who knows?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. Im going to go check this out in Seattle myself as I live up here. Fingerprints with a code, doenst get much simpler then that.

For those that are afraid of the mark and all that, I wouldnt be. ATM cards and credit cards reign supreme in the USA and elswhere and honestly, for years, I rarely if ever used cash.

The advent of this technology could integrate drivers licensing, credit reports and a host of other identity paperwork intensive tasks into something that would both be a time saver as well as a money saver.
Reducing the possibility of identity theft while increasing security.

I guess our fear as a culture is not having privacy, but overall if you have a car, insurance and a checking account, your a known factor in society.

In closing I am going to have to say I support this without even seeing it.
Think about it for our kids. There are benefits. But the main thing is that we wouldnt have to continually overhaul our identity and paypoint systems without having a serious breach of information in terms of ourselves.

Peace

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIFIGUY
I guess our fear as a culture is not having privacy, but overall if you have a car, insurance and a checking account, your a known factor in society.

I'd say it has more to do with personal autonomy moreso than privacy,though privacy is a part too. Cars,insurance,bank accounts,etc. don't strip you of the ability to purchase something without the government having say so they're not really the same issue as the chip/cashless society. ATMs and bank cards are fine. ATM machines give you cash. Without cash however,all these things take on an entirely different light. I have a car and a bank account but I've long since learned to keep some of my assets liquid as well. If you don't have actual cash somewhere you're pretty much dodging bullets.

[edit on 11-3-2005 by Loungerist]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I'd say that this fingerprint ID thing is dangerous for us. I mean, look, this is just the beginning. None of us know how far the CIA or NSA or any other Intelligence organization in the world, have gone with the research on the field of "Mind control". Of course it may sound like Science fiction right now, and I'll be the first one to admit that, but still... The risk is that if one let somebody insert a chip in your body, it may do more than just let you pay for your food.

I'll be honest here. I will rather die, or steal my food and clothes and whatever I need, than allow somebody to insert a chip into my body. I am no scientist and I don't know what that chip does. It might be that it allowes the Govt to track me down, to control my thoughts, even to kill me if I become a nuisance for them. It might just me paranoia, but I don't want to take a chance like that.

"A man that wants nothing is invincible". One of the best weapons of the Govt/global Elite, whatever you want to call them, is that humans tend to by instinct give up personal freedom for comfort, in this case, personal freedom given up for promise of more security for your money, and easier payment for food and the such. But ask yourselves, all of you reading this, is it really worth the risk to give up the one thing nobody can take away from you, your personal freedom and right to think by yourself only for better security for something as human as your money?

Of course, it sounds like Science fiction as I said, and I might just be paranoid. But I rather be paranoid than being prisoner in a golden cage, not being able to control my own thoughts, not being able to do some shopping without being traced by the Government, and so on. Indeed, the Big Brother is watching us already, what with spy satellites, tapping telephone lines, and so on, and I don't know how you feal, but I don't feel like giving them another weapon to use against people.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I haven't read all the responses...but what's the big deal here people? You can't do squat without showing ID anyway....which has all youre info on it, but it makes it easier for others to steal an identity....your social has all your info and you have to show it for damn near everything whether you can refuse to or not....your still not gonna get that check cashed if you don't....

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
In the Uk they had some bank ATM's fitted with Iris scanners. Not sure how it went.

I don't see the problem with national ID's, I am all for the DNA database. Take a sample from every baby born in the world. It would take one gerenation to cut physical crime in half, we rely on DNA now to convict rapists and murders, if it was recorded you wouldn't even have to investigate, just pump the results into the computer and you'd get your ID.

It would also help in the sourcing of donars for blood type, bone marrow etc.

The only people who have anything to fear from being recorded are those who plan to do things they don't want people to be able to find out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join