It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ANTIQUERS & WOODWORKERS, Can you help me with Identification?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Can anyone help me narrow down the vintage on these?
The house was built in 1910, but this cabinet looks like a newer add on. The house is getting gutted and remodeled and these will be salvaged. The doors are 34"X21" and have copper hinges. If you need additional pics let me know.

Top Joinery...

glass close up

Hinges

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Brian4real

To be honest the doors look like the 70's.
The wood is pine and they would probably not have used pine in 1910.

You can possibly date the glass too.
Catch a reflection and see is the glass is flat or if its rippled.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

The style looks very art deco to me. I would probably date it a couple of years later than 1910. 1920's...but that's really guessing.

Peace
edit on 16-7-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2019 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

The glass does have the ripple to it.
I wonder if the leaded glass inserts were put in new casings? Im with you on suspicion of a refab

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I can see the ripples in the glass, the trim is definately early 1900’s. The wood is pine in the closeup pick of the door. Hinges are production made, prob early 1900’s. The metal work and the glass are from that same period.

Lots of pine furniture from that time.

I would look for a makers mark. In the form of a hammered stamp or maybe a rubber and ink stamp. Good places to look are under drawers, under the counter, on the back.

It is definitely worth a lot to the right crowd. Be very careful if you are going to remove it. Try to find someone from your local historic building society. They can probably tell you about the house, the previous owners, and maybe put you in touch with someone willing to buy it.
edit on 16-7-2019 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Ive been looking for over 4 hours now for a similar glass pattern all over the web, and haven't found anything identical. UNTIL.... I was looking locally and found about 20 antique leaded glass panes with the same parallel line pattern....
I think if I dig deeper Ill find a long forgotten local window maker who did them.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

If I had to guess.
The doors are a newer addition, the 70's imo, with older glass and hinges incorporated.

The glass and lead looks to be in to good of shape for 100 yrs old.

Another thing to look for is plywood.
Like on the back.
Plywood wasnt real prevalent in 1910 and you can kind of tell how old the plywood is by inspecting.
edit on 16-7-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Ive been looking for over 4 hours now for a similar glass pattern all over the web, and haven't found anything identical. UNTIL.... I was looking locally and found about 20 antique leaded glass panes with the same parallel line pattern....
I think if I dig deeper Ill find a long forgotten local window maker who did them.
Sounds about right. If there is no maker’s mark, it was probably built by a local maker and the windows could have been built by another person.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

Yup, so much of the old cabinetry and moldings were made buy the home builder on site.
No markings to be found.

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I'd say the hinges look original to 1910.
I've restored a 1901 Victorian...and the cabinetry looks original, as well.
The leaded panes on the window are much newer...but would've possibly used original glass.

I've had large leaded glass windows restored in my old home...and the soldering looks too thick, bright and is probably from the past 20-30 years.

Also deco styling (upper panes) would not have been used in 1910.
edit on 16-7-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Thanl you SO much!!!! Im still searching for the mark, but in the meantime i found this in the upper leftcorner of the back of the cabinet:

"4-14-25" possibly an install, or Fabrication date. It is stamped under the varnish. Now i definitely gotta find the makers mark!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I see what you mean about the center pane, and im sure youre right. Im looking in between the pane and the lead, and every pane is is sealed nice and clean, Except for the center panes.
Clearly good work vs. Bad work

top topics

join