It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serving Size - Rant

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   
The irony of adding all of the sodium to stuff is that they cut the iodine from it to make it cheaper as well. Only leaving trace amounts in food. While also replacing things like potassium with sodium as well.

A lot of cutting down on sodium's health benefits is due to an imbalance of types of salt in your system being more equalized, but you will not see any pushes in the media about the actual reason "cutting out sodium" is good for you. Then you have people replacing "iodized" salt (that barely has any iodine in it) with sea salt, which is absolutely devoid of any nutritional mineral value.

The iodization of table salt was a replacement for iodine in bread that only some places had access to.
Well wouldn't you know that since the 1970s salt companies started putting less iodine in their table salt to top it off, because the process was a little more expensive, or people are buying sea salt or kosher salt that is non-iodized. Now the US is on the verge of an iodine deficiency epidemic, and nobody is talking about it!

journals.aace.com...
(2 page pdf)

Then the portions being a miss match of a dog an pony show doesn't help either, as what is listed on the containers is not necessarily what is even in the container, just a relatively loose approximation.

posted on Jun, 25 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Spot on post! You're not the only one. It really is disheartening when I'm looking at a label, for example for "Healthy "Request" soup. My hubby has heart disease and type 2 diabetes, and I'm always looking at sodium content and that. Well, initially, it seems to be "healthy" until I see how many servings are in a typical can of soup, usually 2.5 servings. So now I'm doing the math in my head, which I'm very good at, and putting the can back on the shelf, because 2.5 servings of the "healthy/reduced calorie/reduced sodium" isn't healthy at all! Makes me want to scream.

Yeah, the front will say something like "low sodium/low fat" then in little tiny letters which I need my reading glasses to see says "per serving". What a scam! It sucks that the food industry does this crap.

S&F for you. I totally relate to what you're saying.

<< 1   >>

join