It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Rover Curiosity detects more methane

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

In a measurement taken on Wednesday, NASA’s Curiosity rover discovered startlingly high amounts of methane in the Martian air, a gas that on Earth is usually produced by living things. The data arrived back on Earth on Thursday, and by Friday, scientists working on the mission were excitedly discussing the news, which has not yet been announced by NASA.

NASA Rover on Mars Detects Puff of Gas That Hints at Possibility of Life

Methane has been detected by multiple craft on or at Mars multiple times. The speculation is it could be coming from life under the Martian soil, volcanoes or the rover itself. Methane does not last long in the atmosphere, so any that is detected has been released into the atmosphere relatively recently.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I always walk out of the room so someone on mars has got no manners (pun intended), that said probably indication of life and farting bacteria though some form's of methane form naturally such as found on some of the moon's of Saturn and Jupiter, Titan in particular jump's to mind.
Still on a mars like environment which was one perhaps very earth like it is a good indicator of decay below the surface but could also simply be an indicator of still trapped primordial methane left over from the planet's early formation (though this is highly unlikely and if anything an organic origin is far more likely).

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Excellent , not long ago there were some scientists questioning the existence of Methane spikes on Mars , this result is more evidence that could lead the the exciting conclusion most of us are looking for.

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Interesting yes,
So it will be interesting to hear what Monday brings when they look to corroborate these findings...'if they can find any more corroborating evidence to back up the theory that the gas is due to output from subterranean Martian microbes', then they seem to imply that it either could or should be organic/microbial megafarting.
Either way, do hold your breath!

posted on Jun, 22 2019 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Here is another link to the story if The NYT will not let you read it free.

NASA Rover on Mars Detects Puff of Gas That Hints at Possibility of Life

The measurement this week found 21 parts per billion of methane, or three times the 2013 spike.

Even before this week’s discovery, the mystery of methane has been deepening.

Curiosity scientists developed a technique that enabled the rover to detect even tinier amounts of methane with its existing tools. The gas seems to rise and fall with the red planet’s seasons. A new analysis of old Mars Express readings confirmed Curiosity’s 2013 findings. One day after Curiosity reported a spike of methane, the orbiter, passing over Curiosity’s location, also measured a spike.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 12:02 AM
link   

It is like there is some sort of seasonal bloom we have not been able to see yet.

At least that is what it seems like to me.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Darkblade71

It is like there is some sort of seasonal bloom we have not been able to see yet.

At least that is what it seems like to me.

Seems like that to me as well. If it is life, it only makes sense that it would be a bloom, entire populations in growth due to season/solar conditions. Trouble is, a sudden emission of trapped methane from some kind of venting could also do that as well. I hope they have a more non-ambiguous theory.

posted on Jun, 23 2019 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

There are seasonal occurrences seen on Mars that could hold the answer. Like geysers and defrosting dunes.

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Yeah, it could be multiple things.

But my imagination automatically goes to strange trees and flowers in bloom.....
I just can't help it!

posted on Jun, 24 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Flatulent Martians …….??

www.youtube.com...

top topics

join