It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Escalates Online Attacks on Russia’s Power Grid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 07:51 PM
link   

The United States is stepping up digital incursions into Russia’s electric power grid in a warning to President Vladimir V. Putin and a demonstration of how the Trump administration is using new authorities to deploy cybertools more aggressively, current and former government officials said.

In interviews over the past three months, the officials described the previously unreported deployment of American computer code inside Russia’s grid and other targets as a classified companion to more publicly discussed action directed at Moscow’s disinformation and hacking units around the 2018 midterm elections.

It is hard to believe the US is actively and openly attacking Russia’s power grid. Russia must be actively attacking the US grid. I am sure China and NK are attacking US infrastructure also. This can only end in a bad way. Where is the Space Force when you need it.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Incursions ARE NOT attacks

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   
What good is infiltrating their power grid if we advertise it?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   

The New York Times ++

current and former government officials said

= ? "Hmmm"

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
So much BS , so little time.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
What good is infiltrating their power grid if we advertise it?

Show of force.
Look what we can do , if needed.
Been happening for years

Those glorified headlines just grab folks' attention , don't they ?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

What about this is BS? Just wondering, as ICS cyber security is kind of my field. So I have a little bit of unique insight into this.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars
Okay. That makes sense.

The incursion into the Russian electric power grid seems to have been conducted under new legal authorities in the military authorization bill passed by Congress last year, the Times reports. Under the law, the defense secretary can authorize, without special presidential approval, routine "clandestine military activity" in cyberspace, according to the Times.

Without presidential approval?

Two administration officials told the Times they believed President Donald Trump had not been briefed in any detail about the US computer code being implanted inside the Russian grid.

Pentagon and intelligence officials describe to the Times "broad hesitation" to tell Trump about the details of the operations against Russia. They tell the Times there was concern over how Trump would react, and the possibility that Trump might reverse the operations or discuss it with foreign officials.

Oh wow!
Well, that explains this!

Donald J. Trump
‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump

2 hours ago

Do you believe that the Failing New York Times just did a story stating that the United States is substantially increasing Cyber Attacks on Russia. This is a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.....

Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
2 hours ago

.....ALSO, NOT TRUE! Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!

tREEEEEEEEEEEEEason!

edit on 15-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: twitter.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

I don't think anything about this is BS. The former head of NSA said everyone is involved in spying, and if You aren't, well You're not doing Your do diligence.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Look... over there!!!

a distraction!

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Acts of war are only acts of war if its them doing it (back) to US.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Wait...I thought Trump was supposed to be a traitor working FOR the Ruskies.
Why would he attack their power grid?

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

He didn't know about it until the New York TImes article came out.

edit on 15-6-2019 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
a reply to: IAMTAT

He didn't know about it until the New York TImes article came out.

Maybe because the story is false by design for sinister reasons. 😎

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Good, maybe do China next.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I seriously hope Russians nail us with an EMP. I mean, it would be the best thing to happen to the united states since the revolution.

No more Facebook, instagram, netflix, etc.

Yeah... I welcome it.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Wait...I thought Trump was supposed to be a traitor working FOR the Ruskies.
Why would he attack their power grid?

The Liberal Mainstream Media in America is working with the Russians/Putin to generate CHAOS in America. The U.S. Director of Intelligence says "creating chaos within the USA" is Russia's #1 goal. The New York Times, WaPo, CNN, etc.. are ALL IN with their Russia ally.

posted on Jun, 15 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Russia does not have their power grid connected to the internet at all. They are smart enough to keep their grid safe. I read an article about this a couple of years ago and how their grid is impervious to most everything getting in, they would have to have someone enter the virus in manually to get any disruption done. Also almost all of their power plants are independent and controlled by humans. Our grid is far from secure though, that is what the article I read talked about. The article I read was actually written by someone working in our government. It was an official article addressing our countries lack of grid security and compared it to the Russian grid.

Our grid should also be completely independent of the internet, but it isn't.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've learned to disbelieve anything said by somebody working in government.

posted on Jun, 16 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

We could switch their lights on and off, to send Morse code signals to the aliens, requesting that they nuke Russia from space.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join