It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwritten rules of survival

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Mellow greetings fellow humans, I was having a medicated discussion with some friends about simple things that we do in general day to day to avoid sudden ambush by the grim reaper. We had some shared ideas and they laughed at one of mine, which I will go I to right now.

These unwritten rules are essentially nothing more than instinct once applied in your day to day life.

Basically having grown up in Florida, and witnessing what our wild life is capable of, my rule that made them laugh was, always maintain a minimum of twelve feet distance when walking by the water at night where there are bushes. My reasoning behind it is as follows. The average length of Gators by the water in the city is only about 5-8 feet. Gators can cover quite the distance with a single leap. So my reasoning is twelve feet covers the full length of the higher end, and an extra few feet to get a running start.

Now, obviously I don't expect there is a massive gator lurking behind every single bush ready to strike, but the possibility exists even it is a billion to one. I don't have to focus the majority of my brain power to calculate anything or spend hours everyday plotting a route that avoids water. I just remember to put some distance between me and a bush by the water at night when I am walking, it is that simple.

Another good one that we'll agreed on was not walking obliviously down the street with headphones on staring Into a screen. When we started seeing this I. Highschool, well let's just say some people learned the hard way why not to do that.

So what are your guys unwritten rules of survival?? I would love to hear some other methods of vigilance that fellow members practice as instinct.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   
my " written rule " = never write down the " unwritten rules "

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Sound advice I heeded whence in Florida, as well as similar for Bobcats in N.C.
I grew up in Chicago's north side poorer neighborhoods. Quite different from the country in all respects but a similar logic applies to certain neighborhoods and areas, at certain times.

Be aware of your surroundings.
If you cant handle the situation, dont go.
Dont attract attention if you dont want any.
Never panic, show no fear.
Respect the neighborhood you're in, especially if it isn't yours.

Outside of those specifically, I'd say, stay educated, hydrated, and motivated.
And strength disproportionate to size wont hurt either.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Rule # 1 : Accurate, overwhelming firepower.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 12:23 PM
link   

During the zombie Apocalypse you only have to run faster than the guy next to you.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Unwritten rules of survival

Carry a pocket version of Bear Grylls.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Well, one for here in Alaska to do with brown bears and moose. When hiking, make some noise to let them know you are coming and they won't bother you. Talk loudly and break branches so they know you are coming.

One of the craziest things I've seen was in the Florida Everglades. We pulled off the road by a small lake where people were launching their row boats and canoes to fish. A mini-van with parents and two small children pulled in also.

While eating lunch, a massive Gator walked out of the water and towards us so we moved back. Thing must have been easily over 12 feet and it was being aggressive. The two small children walked right over to it, with their parents encouraging them. When they got within about four feet of it I could not hold my tongue any longer and scolded the parents and got them to get their kids back to their van. Dumbest parents I've ever seen and the kids were maybe 6 and 8 years old.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Yeah down there it's more common to see them that large. Some funny replies above as well. I got another one, never assume that a vehicle will see you crossing traffic. Too many Darwin award winners in Florida think they will come out with a wealthy lawsuit if they are hit. Cannot collect restitution from the other sid e of existence.

Any always watch people's hands, especially in crowds.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Yeah down there it's more common to see them that large. Some funny replies above as well. I got another one, never assume that a vehicle will see you crossing traffic. Too many Darwin award winners in Florida think they will come out with a wealthy lawsuit if they are hit. Cannot collect restitution from the other sid e of existence.

Could you explain the reason that you mean for this?

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

Could you explain the reason that you mean for this?

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

"Moist Wipes" (adult baby wipes)

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   

When someone suddenly appears out of nowhere and asks for a light or a smoke, the purpose of the question is to make you stop, so it can get closer, do not stop, turn around and face the stranger, but keep a good distance.

Learned this the hard way.

Also, in freezing cold temperatures, you can fashion a knife from your own feces just shape it quickly before it freezes, it is stronger than ice. Have not tried this,, yet.

Pocket hand saws are pretty handy too

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 02:50 PM
link   

My unwritten rule is if I'm walking with a friend in areas where the wildlife is deadly and predacious I just need to make sure I'm able to outrun them which is why I always go everywhere with DB.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Around here in the UP, our gaters are about ten feet long, three and a half feet wide, and can travel at about sixty MPH.

Those four wheel UTVs are too expensive though.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gravelbone

Dont attract attention if you dont want any.

Actually, you want to be careful about that rule...you don't want to surprise 'em, either. A surprised mama can wreak your whole day.

I know a gentleman who surprised a moose...he spent the day perched high up in a tree.

When I backpacked back in the day before my knees gave out, I attached little bells to my equipment, just to let critters know I was around.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I've seen that level of stupid far, far too often. Teasing rattlesnakes. Feeding bears by hand. Or petting, trying too, deer.

I've said it many times, Disney ain't real. Baloo doesn't sing, or dance...he'll eat you if he's hungry enough. So, too, will Bagheera. They're not cuddly, they're animals that will attack if they feel threatened.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Tampons are amazing firelighters in their own handy wrapper to keep them dry, they're good for gunshots and knife wounds too.

In the event of any major national catastrophy where electronics and communications go down a public telephone will broadcast Emergency Management System planning and advice and details of evacuation locations.

If someone is red in the face, acting aggressive and shouting at you, chances are it's just bravado. Colours drains from the face and pupils contract when someone is about to actually hit you.

When going through rough areas have a fiver or so in your wallet and any real money in your socks/shoe. If someone tries to mug you come up with a sob story about how you're on your way to see your sick mother/daughter...it makes you appear human being with a life instead of a target and will deter most.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm watching for people who keep grasping at something beneath their shirt/in the waistband. Chances are it is a concealed weapon, and whether or not it is legal is not my business. I just find it good to know who specifically could be armed around me.

Most CCW's aren't making it a habit of constantly touching it though. People who do that are likely not as familiar with whatever it is they have, as they do not carry frequently enough to keep it off their mind. Their subconscious is making their body language reveal things they do not realize.

Props to the suggestion about filing frozen poo Into a temp shank. That's a neat idea I never thought about.

It is also good to keep a magnifying glass handy, easy 🔥 anytime the sun is up.

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
If you are in unsafe territory where crime is high or more likely.

Try not to be alone and don't go somewhere, or put yourself into a position, where you could get into a dangerous situation.

Be observant, but try not to catch anyone's stare or look anyone down. Look like you don't give a crap, but be prepared to leave or take action.

Never appear like you have anything valuable, esp. don't wear jewelry.

When in public, use a cheap "pay as you go" phone you don't care about loosing.

If you have to carry some big cash, hide it in a money belt.

Carry a throw down wallet that has a bunch of single dollars and business cards. If you get robbed, you go to give them the throw down wallet then "accidentally" drop the it near their feet. While they pick it up and look through it, you can make a run for it.
edit on 13-6-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Typo

posted on Jun, 13 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   
#1 rule.

Trust your gut instincts.
If it feels wrong, it is.

If you feel like death, get the f out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join