It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rabies Shot For Old Dog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 02:58 PM
link   
So I just moved from a state where Rabies vaccine is optional to a state that it is mandatory. I want to get my girl checked for heart worms but the vets here cannot see a dog without rabies vaccine papers or administering. Now I am not an anti-vaxxer I am just concerned because my dog is 14 and upon googling harm from rabies shots, the first 2 pages are a bit disenchanting. Aside from the topic of rabies and validations, I am just curious of personal testimonies from members here as to specific feedback of giving an elderly dog a rabies vaccination and if you had any problems
or no problems.

Granted heart worms are no joke and I will likely get her processed, for my only other option is to travel 2500 miles back west to see her original vet. There is no way to home test or send in blood samples for heart worms, and it is unsafe to just give them heart worm medicine if they already have adult stage larva. The last time my dog did get rabies vacc,10 years ago, she had leg tremors for a few weeks afterwards. Pissed me off honestly but what are you gonna do? She was/is otherwise in great health.

I am hoping to here some valid testimonies that some of you did this with an older dog and everything was fine.

Thank you

edit on 3pmf31035131 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

I would get the rabies shot for my dog, 14 is a respectable age already for a dog, so what happens, happens.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

The vaccine might be safer than it was 10 years ago, but not sure, so do not quote me on that.

Very awesome doggie by the way
edit on 22-5-2019 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

I hear ya and I am going to take her in. Guess I am just looking for the "don't do it man, mine just had the shot and is doing horrible or died!" I shouldn't be so dramatic I suppose but you know how love for a pet can go. We've had a great life together. Thank you for your reply and compliment.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Hi baby..... who's a good girl......

We vaxxed our husky when we had to board him. We didn't need to board him every year and when we did not we did not get the shots.
He never had a problem and he lived longer than his expectancy. I miss that boy still.
Big ol wolf...

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Our dog did get the shots more frequently than ten years though.
We got him at age two and he got a shot then.
He did get a shot sometimes a few years in a row just depended on if we were all going on vacation at the same time.
Never more than three years apart either.
So do take that into consideration.
He was used to the vaccine.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

When our first Husky got older, and she had health issues, we had this discussion with the vet.
Rabies is mandatory in our state, a shot every three years.

She was probably 12 or so at the time. And she spent little time outdoors.
We suspended heartworm tests and meds as we and the vert felt it would be years for the disease to be an issue, assuming she even got the disease. And we opted to not have her get the rabies shot.

As I said, she was not outdoors and what would be the point? She would not be contracting rabies from anything in the home.

YMMV...and have a talk with your vet, even calling the one in your old state for advice.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Thanks Silly, I appreciate the comment and I feel the shot will be fine but naturally I have some reservation as well. Respect to your old boy too!

a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Hey Tread, yea we are in Arkansas now and the mosquitoes are abundant and possessed! My dog has a mild cough and that is what worries me. She has been with me all the time and inside. She has had preventative med for flea/mosquitoes but like I said they swarm down here. I was just heartbroken that the vet refused(by law) to see her without rabies vaccine. Heart worms are so devastating that I am going to get her the rabies vax so we can check her out. The heart worm takes 7 months to mature and so detecting them earlier is better. I guess I came on here to just test the waters and see if anyone has had recent horror story. If so, I would actually go see our vet back West but that would be kinda extreme.
Still, I may call her as you suggested, just to get some additional input.

Thank you for your input.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My dog is 13 1/2 and he just got his annual rabies shot and he was ok. If the vet is any good you will be able to ask questions and discuss your concerns and they will give you all the information you want.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 07:43 PM
link   

All the best to you and your dog.
Laws and mosquitos vary greatly by locale....And you have to do what is best for your dog

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   

This little cutie you see in my avatar has a sensitivity to vaccines (almost died), the only one we get now is rabies. . The Vet pretreats him with medication before giving the vaccine which has worked so far. Best of luck to you two.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Glencairn
Thank you Cindi, the reassurance is comforting.

a reply to: Onlyyouknow
What a joyful little one! Glad you guys made it though the troubled times. I read about giving them benadryl prior to rabies shot. I will ask about that or other pretreatment options when I set appointment. Thanks for the good wishes.

posted on May, 22 2019 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I've had cats my whole life and they're supposed to have sensitivities and get cancers and stuff from vaccinations. I've never had any trouble with any of them. Now granted, my kitties are all indoor babies, so they don't get shots every year. They vets generally don't see the need for them to have their shots that often, but they do always get the rabies vax.

However, there are some vets who will do a titer to see if the cat needs to get the shot every year or not. It's about the amount of antibody in the blood.

The worst experience I've ever had is one cat who had a bad reaction to one of the topical anti-flea meds.

posted on May, 23 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Everyone has an opinion, i would give your dog the rabies shot, but i may be effected by when i was a small boy, i saw the Disney film "Old Yeller".
d23.com...

new topics

top topics

join