It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll surge for Farage sparks panic among Tories and Labour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I'll admit that when it became apparent that we would have to vote in the upcoming European Parliament elections I wasn't best pleased but now it's like waiting for Christmas , are we nearly there yet ?
A new poll for the Observer makes for interesting reading for Brexiteers or fear inducing panic for the main parties who look set to get another slapping a week on Thursday.

As it stands
The Brexit party 34%
Labour 21%
Liberal Democrat 12%
Conservative 11%
Green 8%
Change UK -1

Change UK , Poor Chuka Umunna and his merry band of remainers , wiped out in their first outing.

www.theguardian.com...

Senior Tory and Labour politicians have issued frantic calls to their voters to back them in next week’s European elections after a new poll showed support for Nigel Farage’s Brexit party had soared to a level higher than for the two main parties put together.

The poll suggests the Brexit party, launched only last month, is now on course for a thumping victory that Farage will, MPs fear, use to back his argument that the UK must leave the EU immediately without a deal.
On Saturday Farage was cheered by hundreds of voters at a rally in Houghton-le-Spring, near Sunderland, as he described the prime minister’s Brexit deal as “like a surrender document of a nation that has been defeated in war”.
www.theguardian.com...

I've just been watching an interview with Tony Blair looking all panicky and almost tearful

Saddle up Brexiteers , we got work to do !

May 23rd ... the end of May !

edit on 12-5-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I wonder what the turnout will be.

Across Europe the turnout for the European elections has been falling. Turnout is a good example of engagement. Where the EU is marching towards federalisation, and voters are apathetic and disengaged, one should be alarmed. Yet, the EU Parliament is not alarmed by the lack of mandate.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I have a feeling turn out will be high , this is the first European Parliament elections where the result actually means something for everyday Brits.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

What Labour seems to have forgotten is that most whom voted for Brexit actually did so because Austerity was an EU policy which the Tory's were using to there own convenience in pushing there ideological reform's through.

Now unless Labour tightens up on it's Brexit stance or at least make's it's position rock solid clear to the electorate they are once again going to lose some voters, the young do want to stay in the EU to a very large degree but most of the rest of us actually want our own sovereignty back - but not to hand it to a bunch of hooray harry's on a platter so they can then swan off with the nation's wealth and turn our island into there own personal tax haven like the crook's they really are.

So Yes Farage is going to take a big bite but don't underestimate the remain crowd just yet, there are an awful lot of people whom are voting for Farage whom actually can't stand the guy but agree with him on Brexit, from my own point of view he is actually more honest than most politician's but I would not 'actually' call him honest especially after the outright utter bollox lies they used to get us to vote for them last time when he was in charge of Ukip.

I am still likely to vote out if given a referendum and even though I don't really like Corbyn or half the front bench I shall vote Labour simply because I can not stomach the Tory lout's any longer (best labour guy's were John Smith and Neil Kinnock but god forbid we should ever have another wolf - sorry Tory - in sheep's clothing like that Blair and his witch wife -- or his fat cat second in command Brown what a crook he was almost as bad as the Tory's).

edit on 12-5-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 06:09 AM
link   

been talking to the family in uk and they are all voting nigle

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   
It could be argued that this sort of swing is only possible because the voters think the European elections don't matter, and they can afford to make gestures.
The interesting question would be what would happen if a General Election was called with the issue still undecided. Would people like Boris Johnson be prepared to fight under a (temporary) "Brexit" umbrella? That consideration might be enough to deter the government from going down that route.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

From your source: "Senior Tory and Labour politicians have issued frantic calls to their voters to back them.."

Clearly, these politicians do not understand democracy at all!

Had they backed the people who voted for them, they would not be in the position they now find themselves, being held in contempt by the majority of the electorate.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Good news about Chucka getting Chucked. I voted leave and I`m still waiting. I shall vote for Nigel as a protest vote, against the snakes in govt from all parties. Corbyn is a Fabian so I don`t trust him. May is a sack of cr@p ie- Windfall and losing the paedo files linking MP`s to crimes against children. LIbs? lol I`m sorry. No we need a revolution and to clear out those crooks in Govt.
edit on 12-5-2019 by illuminnaughty because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The first European election that actually means something for everyday Brits. I could cry at that stupid, inane statement.
EVERY European election was important to everyday Brits. Did you understand then how important they were? Yet for the past 12 odd years we've had Mr Farage and his cohorts (Ukip, Brexit party, you name them) being elected into the EU parliament and they SHOULD have gone to Brussels to fight for everyday Brits. But instead, since they got in they have just gone to Brussels to pick up their VERY lucrative checks and more importantly to NOT fight for Brits but to cause trouble to force the UK to leave the EU. They openly admitted this but the British people ignored their comments "oh it's only the EU people".
So ANYONE on here going to explain to me just what are they going to do if voted in the EU parliament cos when they're in they can have absolutely NO VOICE over the Brexit negotiations, so what are they going to do(bar pick up their lucrative checks again)?
edit on 12-5-2019 by crayzeed because: added sentence

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Saying "this is the first European Parliament elections where the result actually means something for everyday Brits" is not saying they are unimportant , it's saying there is more significance to the people of this country than there would be otherwise.

So ANYONE on here going to explain to me just what are they going to do if voted in the EU parliament cos when they're in they can have absolutely NO VOICE over the Brexit negotiations,

That might not be entirely true , if the polls are correct and the Brexit party do take the majority of seats then Farage will call for just that , a voice in the negotiations , and rightly so.
edit on 12-5-2019 by gortex because: spelling

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   

edit on 13-5-2019 by FlyingFox because: fin

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: paraphi

I have a feeling turn out will be high , this is the first European Parliament elections where the result actually means something for everyday Brits.

Why does it? Can you name a single piece of EU legislation that the UKIP party with Farage as their leader at the time significantly influenced in favour of the UK? I would honestly be interested because I thought Farage just moaned about the UK being in the EU while collecting his MEP wages every month.

Why do you think the Brexit party would be any different whatsoever?

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Why does it?

I explained above but here it is again.
This EU Parliament election has more significance than others because it is one we really shouldn't be having , we were supposed to have left by now but as our remain parliament has dragged its heals here we are.

In normal EU elections you vote then forget about it because nothing ever changes except for the faces elected to go , this time we get to slap down the government again and send a virus into the EU system , a Brexit party virus that will cause them as much discomfort as they've caused us for the last nearly 3 years , if as expected the Brexit party get more seats than the two main parties then Farage will demand to be part of the negotiations which given the mess the other two have made of it so far can only be a good thing , Brexit with a pro Brexit voice at the table.

The EU are crapping themselves.

The Brexit party stand ready for battle , the EU tremble in fear.

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

So, you want the Brexit party to just cause disruption inside an organisation we are already leaving rather than have people in there who might be looking to do something that may be of material benefit to the UK. It's ok, was just asking because I thought you were suggesting there might be a benefit to them being voted for rather than gesture politics.

edit on 13-5-2019 by uncommitted because: Added 'you were suggesting'

posted on May, 13 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

So, you want the Brexit party to just cause disruption inside an organisation we are already leaving rather than have people in there who might be looking to do something that may be of material benefit to the UK. It's ok, was just asking because I thought you were suggesting there might be a benefit to them being voted for rather than gesture politics.

What evidence is there that we are leaving ?
If we were leaving we wouldn't be voting in the EU elections , 29th March was Brexit day and that has passed.

May 23rd gives us all the opportunity to reaffirm our position.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

What evidence is there that we are leaving ?
If we were leaving we wouldn't be voting in the EU elections , 29th March was Brexit day and that has passed.

May 23rd gives us all the opportunity to reaffirm our position.

May 23rd is about who you want as your local constituent to represent you in the European Parliament for the period until we leave. Seeing as I'm fairly sure the Brexit party will achieve the same as UKIP - F### all, personally I think a vote for them is a wasted vote, but I can understand how some people would rather make a political gesture.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

personally I think a vote for them is a wasted vote, but I can understand how some people would rather make a political gesture.

Surely a Brexit landslide even in these elections would have a massive indirect impact on home politics? At the very least, the major parties woukd adjust their approach in response to the perceived threat.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:25 AM
link   
I'll be voting for The Brexit Party.
So will nearly every single person I know....and that includes some people who voted Remain three years ago.

I know full well that it's nothing more than a protest vote.
But I am utterly disgusted with the conduct of the major political parties and their attempts to derail Brexit.
The major political parties wish to maintain the status quo and their place on the gravy train and they continually chose to dismiss the result of the referendum and arrogantly assume that they know better than the electorate.

Will it actually achieve anything?
Probably not but I have absolutely no intention of voting in a member of any of the three major parties.

posted on May, 14 2019 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI

personally I think a vote for them is a wasted vote, but I can understand how some people would rather make a political gesture.

Surely a Brexit landslide even in these elections would have a massive indirect impact on home politics? At the very least, the major parties woukd adjust their approach in response to the perceived threat.

It would put a bigger smirk on the face of Farage, that's true, apart from that? Not sure it would have as big an impact as people may think IMHO. In the European parliament it's another group of people riding the gravy train as long as it lasts but not planning to do anything that will proactively affect EU policies to benefit the UK - just like UKIP.

Farage has said if there is a landslide he will demand a place at the table for discussions, but there is no obligation to let him really - I doubt the EU negotiation team would want him to represent them, and as he isn't a member of the (UK) parliament there is no obligation on that side either. The Brexit party have no policies - getting out of the EU is (currently) a given, Farage just wants the country to leave on his terms which economically for the UK are the worst terms.

Would there be a major indirect impact on domestic policies? Conservatives were and always have been massively divided on Europe, the ERG has probably now made that division fairly much fatal. Labour is becoming increasingly divided and seems to be moving to a massive about face to demand a second vote - that's more of an impact on domestic politics IMHO.

posted on May, 15 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Brexit Party Election Broadcast.

Got my Brexit party election leaflet today , waste of paper really because my vote is already secured.

While the Brexit party goes from strength to strength Change UK seem to be falling apart.

Change UK's lead candidate for the EU elections in Scotland has quit the race and is now endorsing the Lib Dems.

David Macdonald is top of the Change UK list in Scotland, but said the party "don't stand much of a chance" of winning a seat in the 23 May poll.

He urged pro-Remain voters to back the Lib Dems to avoid "splitting the vote" and benefiting pro-Brexit parties.

Change UK MP Chuka Umunna said it was "disappointing" that Mr Macdonald had "let down his fellow candidates".
www.bbc.co.uk...

Change UK , No change just the same old same old.
edit on 15-5-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join