It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aggressive Japanese Knotweed is Making Its Way Across U.S., Pushing Out Native Species in its Path

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
a reply to: rickymouse

Really? Goldfish will "grow into carp?"

We have two goldfish in our fishtank with a flecko. The black fancy goldfish is about four inches but the gold one is now silver and eight inches long. they are both kind of fat. We had two big goldfish but one must have swallowed rocks from the bottom of the tank and blocked up something, it died. The big one left would bang his head to dislodge the rocks from it's throat, it knocked off a lot of scales one time. We got rid of the rocks after the other goldfish died, it was smaller, only seven inches long. My granddaughter gave us the fish three years ago, they were two to two and a half inches long and very frail. Now they are big and you have a hard time with the net getting them out of the tank, they are really powerful, about the same as a small bass.

I guess they can grow up to sixteen inches in the wild.

XL5

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Just be glad it is not the Gympie gympie plant, one touch and it is worse than being burned alive!

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: ElGoobero

I know it as Hercules plant. It's big and makes you burns. If you're ever see this giant don't touch it.
There is a smaller version totally harmless.
I think the Heracleum mantegazzianum an invader too.

Plants

I believe that's Giant Hogweed
and it is also a bad one

www.goodhousekeeping.com...

What's 14 feet tall, green, hairy, and covered in toxic sap? It may sound like a monster, but this scary beast is actually giant hogweed, a towering, invasive plant whose sap can cause painful burns, scarring, and possibly even blindness.

Originally from the the Caucasus mountain region of Eurasia, researchers just confirmed the presence of this federally listed "noxious weed" in Virginia for the first time. The state now joins Maine, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Michigan, Illinois, Washington, and Oregon as hosts to this non-native plant.

fyi goldfish are just small colorful carp. and yes also an invasive species.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It's quite edible. www.finedininglovers.com...

I think it should be planted in Africa and Venezuela for all the starving people I mean this sincerely.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
It's quite edible. www.finedininglovers.com...

I think it should be planted in Africa and Venezuela for all the starving people I mean this sincerely.

I heard, but have no real facts to back it, that the Kudzu has some uses for food. I think there is an extract of Kudzu.

Now if they could just find something that likes Johnson Grass (crab grass).

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

www.saveur.com...-7

It's listed as one of 10 edible invasive weeds.

Also offered by Violet Hill Farm, Japanese knotweed is notoriously invasive, but also delicious. It will definitely become more familiar as a market vegetable in years to come. Its mid-spring shoots resemble asparagus, but taste and behave like an earthier, more vegetal version of rhubarb crossed with fresh sorrel. Use it raw or cooked, especially in savory dishes that need a sour boost.

edit on 12-5-2019 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
a reply to: Justoneman

www.saveur.com...-7

It's listed as one of 10 edible invasive weeds.

Also offered by Violet Hill Farm, Japanese knotweed is notoriously invasive, but also delicious. It will definitely become more familiar as a market vegetable in years to come. Its mid-spring shoots resemble asparagus, but taste and behave like an earthier, more vegetal version of rhubarb crossed with fresh sorrel. Use it raw or cooked, especially in savory dishes that need a sour boost.

I would try it. And if we did eat it then problem solved on several fronts. Goats would eat it I bet.

posted on May, 12 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple
a reply to: ElGoobero

I know it as Hercules plant. It's big and makes you burns. If you're ever see this giant don't touch it.
There is a smaller version totally harmless.
I think the Heracleum mantegazzianum an invader too.

Plants

That's giant hogweed. Bad stuff.

I've only seen it once and I have no clue how it got there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join