It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico's President announces that they will legalize drugs.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Does no one see that this open up a flood way for legal in one countries drugs, to be an influx of illegal drugs into yours?

Unless we all accept it, it will still be an issue. Come on...

Your average American drug kingpin will still want his gear, now he can get it wholesale, not from the cartel, but from the average family able to provide it en masse in Mexico.

We, Aus, the USand everywhere else, need to follow suit.

No one wakes up one morning and thinks, "Gee, I wish I was addicted to a needle drug.. or that I loved weed when I can't take my mind off it.."

This would stop people losing their lives over arrests by arrogant cops who persecute before a judge even sees someone, for having a bag of weed.. will prevent people existing in an environment of terror, having to deal with real criminals..

Or just stick to your guns and berate otherwise good people caught in the line of hell that surrounds not the lifestyle you so despise, but are average people with a vice.

we need to adopt this too.. OR it will be a flood of even more of the same.

A vice is NOT a crime.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Cool I can't wait until I can walk into CVS and buy meth

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome

You can buy alcohol there now, and it's arguably as bad because social acceptance hides the actual damage it does.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: wantsome

You can buy alcohol there now, and it's arguably as bad because social acceptance hides the actual damage it does.

Alcohol is an excuse for evil drug lords to sell more drugs so they can keep control of territory and buy expensive boats. Alcohol is used for a lot of things that coc aine can't.
edit on 8-5-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Alcohol is an excuse for evil drug lords to sell more drugs so they can keep control of territory and buy expensive boats. Alcohol is used for a lot of things that coc aine can't.

Like getting drunk!

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Has everyone forgotten what drug addiction is? Just because it's legal doesn't mean people won't get addicted or won't destroy their (and others) lives. There are plenty of examples with alcohol abuse. I've seen what it does and it isn't pretty. Maybe it's just me but legalizing all drugs is large scale self-destruction.

Let Mexico do what they want and let those who want to alter their reality one hit at a time cross the border. We just need to make sure it's a one-way door in the wall.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
Has everyone forgotten what drug addiction is?

As comedian Doug Stanhope basically said, drug addition is simply somebody finding something they enjoy doing more than life. If life was super great for everybody, there wouldn't be any addicts. The problem is not the distribution method, it's the people.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Has everyone forgotten what drug addiction is? Just because it's legal doesn't mean people won't get addicted or won't destroy their (and others) lives. There are plenty of examples with alcohol abuse. I've seen what it does and it isn't pretty. Maybe it's just me but legalizing all drugs is large scale self-destruction.

Let Mexico do what they want and let those who want to alter their reality one hit at a time cross the border. We just need to make sure it's a one-way door in the wall.

It’s a public health issue and people shouldn’t be criminalized for it. Portugal decriminalized all narcotics in 2001 and they’ve seen a drastic reduction in deaths from overdose as well as reduced transmission of HIV, Hep C and other blood born diseases associated with drug abuse. On top of that, they’ve actually reduced the number of addicts by making it easier to obtain treatment and reduced incarceration rates because the stigma of addiction is lessened.

In other words, they’ve seen none of the negative crap fear mongers predicted and instead have seen positive results and Portugal currently has the 2nd lowest numbers in all of Europe for deaths by OD.

posted on May, 8 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Well, does Mexico have the same treatments clinics like Portugal. If no, then its obvious not going to work. When drug addicts have no where to go to get treated, then it is a lost cause. Unlike Portugal, Mexico are the drug labs. So, that is a major problem.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

It’s a public health issue and people shouldn’t be criminalized for it. Portugal decriminalized all narcotics in 2001 and they’ve seen a drastic reduction in deaths from overdose as well as reduced transmission of HIV, Hep C and other blood born diseases associated with drug abuse. On top of that, they’ve actually reduced the number of addicts by making it easier to obtain treatment and reduced incarceration rates because the stigma of addiction is lessened.

In other words, they’ve seen none of the negative crap fear mongers predicted and instead have seen positive results and Portugal currently has the 2nd lowest numbers in all of Europe for deaths by OD.

I don't get the rational of giving more drugs to people so we can have more government programs to get people off drugs! I'm all for reducing incarceration though and the money spent on that would be better spent treating addiction. I just don't think we should make more addicts.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
a reply to: peter vlar

Well, does Mexico have the same treatments clinics like Portugal. If no, then its obvious not going to work. When drug addicts have no where to go to get treated, then it is a lost cause. Unlike Portugal, Mexico are the drug labs. So, that is a major problem.

In 2001, Portugal didn’t have the treatment infrastructure that it does today. Once they were able to reduce the prison/ jail incarceration levels, the money formerly utilized for locking up addicts and recreational users was freed up for additional treatment and diversion programs.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

I don't get the rational of giving more drugs to people so we can have more government programs to get people off drugs! I'm all for reducing incarceration though and the money spent on that would be better spent treating addiction. I just don't think we should make more addicts.

I don’t disagree with you regarding creating more addicts. However, I’m countries like Portugal, Switzerland, Denmark and a trial program in Vancouver, the results were fewer addicts, as well as drastic reductions in recidivism, death by overdose and a massive decline in new blood borne infections like HIV and Hepatitis C.

The end result was large savings in tax dollars because of lower rates of incarceration and lessened public health risks from the aforementioned deadly viruses which also saves a ton of money that would’ve been spent treating those diseases. Long term treatment of Hepatitis C and HIV alone can run in the range of 100’s of thousands per year for each patient.

Again, I’m with you on decreasing the number of new addicts. But Portugal only decriminalized personal use and they saw a positive impact as noted above. If you go the route of full legalization then not only are we saving insane amounts of money per year, we would also be making money by taxing it. If I were a junky, I would be far more inclined to legally purchase my product and kit instead of buying on the street because I would know that there are quality controls in place during the manufacturing process and that it hadn’t been cut with anything more dangerous than the drug itself is between the manufacturer and point of purchase.

Just my 2 cents for what they’re worth.

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador is Moy Loco ......Nuff Said

top topics

<< 1   >>

join