It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico's President announces that they will legalize drugs.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 04:33 PM
link   

MMGA

In January, Mexican president Andrés Manuel López Obrador declared an end to his country’s “war” on drugs, saying that his administration would no longer prioritize the prosecution of kingpins...

Mexican president declares end to drug ‘war’.

“There is no war, officially there is no more war,” López Obrador said in response to a question from a reporter regarding the lack of kingpin arrests since he took office, according to AFP.

“We want peace, we are going to get peace.

But this latest announcement seems to build on that declaration.

The following article is in Spanish. I used an online translator because most English based news outlets have yet to pick up the story:

Announcement via the Nacion:

AMLO government announces the legalization of drugs in Mexico

According to the National Development Plan (PND) 2019-2024, the government of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador proposes reformulating the fight against drugs and reducing levels of consumption by lifting the ban on substances that are now illegal.

The text of 298 pages warns that in the matter of narcotics "the prohibitionist strategy is already unsustainable, not only because of the violence it has generated but because of its poor results in terms of public health."

Aint that the truth?

Essentially the same cause and effect situation that occurred during the alcohol prohibition in the United States and which currently exists due to our own "war on drugs".

The National Development Plan does not detail what kind of drugs they would seek to prohibit, only "those that are currently illegal" are indicated.

This gives me hope because if he's only referring to marijuana, they might as well not do anything.

In order for this to be successful, they have to decriminalize ALL drug use.

However, they clarify that the legalization proposal includes and "this must be negotiated, both in the bilateral relationship with the United States and in the multilateral sphere, within the UN".

This is the part that worries me.

We know that our government seems to want to perpetuate the war on drugs so I dont foresee our public servants allowing Mexico to take such a "drastic" step.

The Real Drug Lords: A brief history of CIA involvement in the Drug Trade.

Taliban's Ban On Poppy A Success, U.S. Aides Say.

The first American narcotics experts to go to Afghanistan under Taliban rule have concluded that the movement's ban on opium-poppy cultivation appears to have wiped out the world's largest crop in less than a year, officials said today.

edit on 3-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The DEA and "justice system" is probably throwing the biggest party ever now.

They can really take rights, money and property away from the citizens who pay their salaries now.

This will be interesting. They export a lot of heroin, coke and meth.
Not so much mj.

I don't think this is good for Americans. We've got to end the war on drugs at the same time.
There's going to be problems either way.

Added

This is the part that worries me. 

We know that our government seems to want to perpetuate the war on drugs so I dont foresee our public servants allowing Mexico to take such a "drastic" step.

Our public "servants" probably paid Mexico to legalize

edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   
There are too many interests that profit from drugs being illegal... heck, half the nation's policemen would be out of work if we legalize drugs. I imagine any business that provides ancillary services to law enforcement stands to lose a lot from the legalization of drugs. I can see for profit drug rehab centers being against legalization.

I support legalization of drugs, prostitution, and gambling. We will never be able to stop it and adults should be able to do what they want.

The money we spend on imprisonment and prosecution should be funneled towards rehab and education for addicts.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Cartels probably paid off the the Mexican Government to legalize drugs and paid of ours to keep them illegal. They have a vested interest in both.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Cartels probably paid off the the Mexican Government to legalize drugs and paid of ours to keep them illegal. They have a vested interest in both.

This has been shown to be true during the El Chappo trial. At least from a US side of things, we now have ZERO reasons to send them any more money for the War on Drugs. That's money that can now be used for the wall.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

originally posted by: Metallicus

While it may be in the interest of the cartels to have drugs legalized, its also in the interest of the people.

The drug war is a complete failure which has arguably resulted in more violence and loss of rights with little effect on limiting the use or sale of drugs.

My hope is that the rest of the world's governments will follow Mexico's lead, especially our own, although based on our government's involvement with drug trafficking, I doubt it.

edit on 3-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Nope, time to prepare for 2nd Mexican-US war. Americans consumes, American military sent to protect fields. While the rest of the country is asking for food plantations.
edit on 3-5-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
That's money that can now be used for the wall.

Or, you know, maybe drug treatment programs and stuff that might actually be of use to somebody on an individual level while making our streets safer at the same time.

It's always going to be a struggle, though. Ever since mankind invented inebriates, a lot of people have determined that being drunk or high is the best way to face this horrific reality. And you can't argue that they're wrong. But at least with legalization you somewhat eliminate that thrill of doing something illegal that so often attracts younger people.

And law enforcement agencies skim a whole lot of untraced cash drug money from their busts. They won't want to let that go.

But again, that goes back to the idea of just producing and giving people drugs for free. No profit for organized crime, no addicts stealing or robbing people to buy their highs. Let the people who want to kill themselves with it go ahead. But also provide support to the people who don't.
edit on 3-5-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Nope, time to prepare for 2nd Mexican-US war. Americans consumes, American military sent to protect fields. While the rest of the country is asking for food plantations.

What does that mean 2nd War if we send the troops to protect them?

There will be no need to protect them, the price will drop so many will be able to provide drugs that only taxation will keep it pricey. Anyone smart enough will find a way to grow whatever it is they need or have friends that can.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   
It means the cartels are comfortable with their profit margin from other revenue streams, and are allowing this to happen.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Hopefully they do decriminalize all drug usage and talks with the u.s. don't foil their plan.

Decriminalization of drug production should end too. Imagine the amazing quality of psychedelics once it's legal to produce!

Prohibition doesn't work and ppl who want to get into pain killers, meth, coke or heroin will find their way to them legal or not.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Now Mexico will return to being a tourist destination just like Colorado.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Now Mexico will return to being a tourist destination just like Colorado.

Hah. Remember in the late 30's when Mexico was all the rage and Carmen Miranda was a big star? People were fascinated by the exotic culture down south of the border, and loved to vacation there. Not just get kidnapped and murdered.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   

I have to agree.

Legalizing drugs may have a slight increase in the short run, but it will soon go the way of alcohol and cigarettes.

Though those that have to have it will keep on abusing it, but the number of people using constantly will likely decrease. Anyway those that are addicted are not thwarted by it being illegal. It being illegal just makes them more desperate, causing them to take more deadly chances and more illegal and deadly risk to obtain it.

Speculatively.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Hmmm.. If I lived in a land where everyone could simply pick diamonds from the ground, and just across the border I saw people who dearly wanted diamonds and would pay handsomely for them, I'd make gathering and selling diamonds a lucrative business..

Needs to be all in, or the skewed new market will be rife with yet more smuggling across borders.

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Watch and learn drug advocates.....

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Personally I have no interest in any of it, but this kind of approach seems to be working in Portugal.

Portugal decriminalised drugs 14 years ago – and now hardly anyone dies from overdosing

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

This is interesting. This Has to be good news right? This has Trump/Qs fingerprints all over it... In preparation to end our own war on drugs they had Mexico do it first so in a year or two Trump (or whoever he appoints to this task) will point and say "well look what it's done for Mexico".

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Our public "servants" probably paid Mexico to legalize

Not sure if that's tongue in cheek or not...but...

I would say that they are quite pissed at it. The more illegal it is, the easier it is for them to use concealed avenues of funding/laundering. Shine a light on it and watch the roaches scurry away.

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Or it is a good way to change the tide and make Mexico the target country of immigration.

Not sure how much money the expats will bring with them. Just a driving need and a monkey.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join