It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exhibit A: How Govt is Too Slow to React. The Postal Service

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I believe Congress made laws they can't close post offices that's why a town of now 36 Glenn MI still has one. Benton Harbor and St Joseph MI post offices are maybe 6 locks apart. The little one in the town I live in is just crappy and I can't think of why they still exist.
When we built our house it got about 3 months behind because of the weather. So we had to move into out 5th wheel at a campground because they wouldn't let us put it on our property till the house was done. We got a PO box no problem and they wouldn't let us get mail at the house till we showed them the occupancy permit.

Finally we move in and switch things over and never got mail again. Same post office just decided to send our mail to a dead letter company over 2000 miles away. We did the change of address and everything proper. They just ignored everything we tried to do.

Just before Christmas the drive up box was so full the stuff was falling out when people drove away. I grabbed a box full and went in and dumped it on their counter because it had been driven over.

Now you got me started

They need to go to the wayside

And today we got the phone book it's a wopping 12 pages or so
edit on 1-5-2019 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Edumakated

It will change when the boomers are gone. They have an odd obsession
with physical mail.

Yes, there is way too much junk mail. Ever get Sirius radio trial with a new car. If so, get ready for 75 years of daily physical mail from them!

My husband took me to the opera in Chicago in 2004. He got some of the most expensive seats in the house. I still get a ton of mail from them. I've moved several times. I swear the Opera of Chicago can track a person better than the FBI!

Yeah, we boomers are obsessed with physical snail mail. Like when my guitar parts were coming by physical snail mail. Of course the postal service is crap, 6 of the 12 things I ordered didn't show up. But if I had of tried to get them "electronically" sent, none of them would have shown, since they were all made of, wait for it..... Matter. I don't think we have matter transport systems yet other than vehicles and people.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Mail carrier here.....
I would kiss the ass of anyone that actually implemented the 5 day delivery idea....multiple ass kisses, in fact.
Understaffed with too many marginal workers that would not be able to keep a job at McDonald’s if this was a private company.
And don’t get me started on the junk mail....you guys don’t like getting it?, we don’t like delivering it.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Not what he means. It's a stereotype that the older one gets, the more obsessive & possessive they are over physical mail, but it's a damn accurate stereotype rooted in real behavior that fits the age range.

My boomer mother hatches the mailbox like it's a golden egg about to crack open with all the world's wealth, only to bitch about the junk mail or her CC bills. Serious woman? WTF did you expect to be in there? And god FORBID if there's no mail any given day for any reason (holiday, or just no mail for the address that day) She freaks out. She's even chased the mailman down a few times (guy delivers door to door on foot) and made him "double-check" his bag because she thinks he's not delivering her mail for some mysterious spiteful reason.

Frankly, due to the prevalence of email reminders and online account access, I think postal mail should be reduced to twice weekly. Once on Mondays, again on Thursdays or Fridays. Parcel/package deliveries are a totally different ball of wax, too. If you can't see the difference, you've never sent various articles before. A pack of guitar strings isn't mailed in a standard letter envelope (and if they were, I'd buy from someone else if I were you) If it's contents are more than just a bill or replacement debit/CC, etc, then it's a parcel IMO.
edit on 5/1/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew Junk mail gets a special low rate without which it would be too expensive to send. They create job security while the tax payers pick up the tab and the paper. Sometimes i accidentally bring the cheap newsprint indoors. The ink and dyes come off on my hands and are a nasty bio-hazard. You need gloves to handle the mail. Could mail be a significant conduit for bacteria or viruses to enter the home?.... alright its starting to freak me out now

edit on 1-5-2019 by PsychicCroMag because: was redundant before i changed it.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

Not what he means. It's a stereotype that the older one gets, the more obsessive & possessive they are over physical mail, but it's a damn accurate stereotype rooted in real behavior that fits the age range.

I'm a she, but yes, you got it.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   

It will change when the boomers are gone. They have an odd obsession
with physical mail.

They probably remember power outages that were longer than a few seconds.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:55 AM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

I'm a she, but yes, you got it.

My bad, JAG, I scanned for the screen name too fast & thought the poster was responding to Edumakated

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:56 AM
link   
There are a lot of consumer laws on the books federally that require paper mail paper trail/receipt for a lot of things, like credit/debt collection and plenty of other legal things, so to eliminate mail and just go to parcel would require our law makers and senators to actually WORK, and we all know that isn't happening any time soon.

A big overhaul of a lot of things connected to a paper mail requirement would likely cost more than just leaving it one big sink hole. or one big s----hole.

edit on 2-5-2019 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join