It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China unveils colossal Mars training base camp in Gobi desert

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

If the SSP is already booming and established, it would be nice if they announced it.
It would give today’s and tomorrow’s generation something to look forward to and train for.

To Hell with joining the army, join the space marines!

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
That's cool, but we've been doing this for years and let's be honest, the size doesn't really matter, raw data from a habitat and how it survives in a harsh environment is all the data needed. Here is where we can draw up various scales of the habitat based off the data received.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Haven't signed any NDA's yet, but have been told I will. I'm getting the full schematics for a Mars Habitat and I'll have 4 days to try to "kill" as many astronauts as I can.

With your record on interns I'm expecting a 110% success rate.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Haven't signed any NDA's yet, but have been told I will. I'm getting the full schematics for a Mars Habitat and I'll have 4 days to try to "kill" as many astronauts as I can.

With your record on interns I'm expecting a 110% success rate.

If you love what you do, then it isn't really "work".

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
They don't seem to be living in a closed system, like they actually would on Mars. Well, "living" for a short time anyway. The Biosphere 2 Project was a huge failure.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I don't think any of the Mars sims are closed systems. This one has been around for many years and is very basic. The fact you will be living in a somewhat closed system on Mars is not a very big factor compared to the other things you have to deal with.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

look at antartica, we live there very successfully.

depending where you are on mars the temp isn't that cold and as long as you have a way to generate O2(and that is easy enough) mars would be very doable

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Isn't mars a bit different?

Much lower gravity, more radiation than the Antarctic, or anywhere on Earth for that matter?
It might be cold and hospitable but it is still on a planet we're designed to live on.

At least if you get a hole in your shelter on Earth be is the Sahara Desert or the South Pole you won't suffocate in a hurry.

I for one am looking forward to seeing the real world effects on a human body on Mars that we just cannot simulate here on Earth either because we cannot or for ethical reasons.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The mars goal . Building BIG .
First build a moon base then start launching resources from the moon and assemble in orbit .
Now think BIG a Aluminum Shell Sprayed on a balloon 2 miles in diameter .
A thin shell is all you will need then a second shell with space between them of 30 feet and Fill with crushed moon rock .
This totally protect from radiation and stray meteors and guess what no advanced teck needed .

So now inside start putting in floors again balloon style a ball inside a ball inside a ball .
Each lv for different things . One food lv again crushed moon rock with Bactria added and 24 7 light fast growing for sure .
One lv just for meat animals . a living lv a mechanic lv and so on then stock to the gills .
Done right 20,000 people could have a nice trip to mars ( add spin and they wont even know they are not on earth .
Now once there put into orbit and start sending down supply's . Basically Strip the ship from the in side out .

Once completed the whole thing is now a HUGE building on the ground already set up to live for years without out side help .
mean wile a second and third have already been sent and are also in the prosses of being put on mars after 20 years of doing this mars has a population of around 60,000 in 3 city ships and can get every thing they need from mars its self .

One has a tek issue 2 others are there for support .

Total time invested 30 years by then mars is exporting to EARTH and declares independence .
in 100 years there would be 20 city's like the ship citys on mars . From that point on its all cake as no one city dieing means the end of man on mars

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: AtomicKangaroo

its not THAT much lower gravity and as far as the radiation goes, well the habitats would most likely be buried and the suits they wear would have to use some form of light shielding or the use of vehicles with shielding put in place on mars to keep shipping weight down.

if it weren't for the cO2 and low O2 people could walk around on mars with a good winter jacket.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 10:22 PM
link   

I dunno, with only about 38% of the surface gravity on Earth seems like it is THAT much lower than Earths.

Oh well fingers crossed one day we'll be able to actually see how such gravity affects a person.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join