It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aviation related things to do in Chicago.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I'm back in America for my holiday this year.My actual reason for the trip is to watch NHRA drag racing at Route 66 raceway near to Joliet South of Chicago.
I'm there last week of May to the first week in June for just one week.After the drag racing I only have 3 days to play with before I go home so apart from the Museum of Science and Technology near the lake with the prototype 727 in it and a very large chrome plated bean,what else is there to see that's related to aviation in this area?
I know there's a couple of museums with a small number of aircraft in each one (Illinois Aviation Museum and the Air Classics Museum),but is there anything else I should know about? I have a hire car so travelling to out of the way places won't be a problem.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
I'm back in America for my holiday this year.My actual reason for the trip is to watch NHRA drag racing at Route 66 raceway near to Joliet South of Chicago.
I'm there last week of May to the first week in June for just one week.After the drag racing I only have 3 days to play with before I go home so apart from the Museum of Science and Technology near the lake with the prototype 727 in it and a very large chrome plated bean,what else is there to see that's related to aviation in this area?
I know there's a couple of museums with a small number of aircraft in each one (Illinois Aviation Museum and the Air Classics Museum),but is there anything else I should know about? I have a hire car so travelling to out of the way places won't be a problem.

I don't know of too many aviation things beyond what you've already mentioned.. too bad you aren't here for the Chicago airshow later in the summer. It is a must see. Nothing like seeing f16s, f-117s, f22s, Blue Angels, etc flying through the highrises out over lake michigan.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

FSX has a "flight school" that does open events including time in their simulators, and air combat using WWII aircraft.

Aurora has a museum that covers the 30s to now.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx

If you want to do / see some nice things not necessarily aviation related...

Willis Tower skydeck
Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture tour in Oak Park
Chicago Architecture Boat Tour along Chicago River
All the museums / millennium park are phenomenal
Michigan avenue / Oak street for shopping
Lincoln Park Zoo
Navy Pier

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Hop in your car an
d drive north to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Ass'n) Museum. It has hundreds of exhibits and is worth a full day.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Would second Oshkosh if you have a spare day. It'd even be a lot of time in the car making the trip without an overnight, but it's possible.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ImagewerxAviation related things to do in Chicago??? Get on the nearest airplane and leave as fast as you can...

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I don't know of too many aviation things beyond what you've already mentioned.. too bad you aren't here for the Chicago airshow later in the summer. It is a must see. Nothing like seeing f16s, f-117s, f22s, Blue Angels, etc flying through the highrises out over lake michigan.

Sounds good as here in the UK we're not allowed any sort of flying display over heavily populated areas.
edit on 5-4-2019 by Imagewerx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

FSX has a "flight school" that does open events including time in their simulators, and air combat using WWII aircraft.

Aurora has a museum that covers the 30s to now.

Aurora looks possible,only about an hours drive from where I'm staying.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

If you want to do / see some nice things not necessarily aviation related...

Willis Tower skydeck
Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture tour in Oak Park
Chicago Architecture Boat Tour along Chicago River
All the museums / millennium park are phenomenal
Michigan avenue / Oak street for shopping
Lincoln Park Zoo
Navy Pier

The Willis Tower Skydeck would make me puke or pass out,me and great heights don't get along very well! The rest are all possibilities.

posted on Apr, 5 2019 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: F4guy

Hop in your car an
d drive north to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Ass'n) Museum. It has hundreds of exhibits and is worth a full day.

About 200 miles from where I'll be,so could be done but wouldn't leave much time for looking around.I'd definitely like to go to Oshkosh,shame I couldn't afford to stay for any longer.

posted on Aug, 13 2019 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Only went to Bolingbrook in the end.Went there on a weekday and they let me wander around unattended,even though they're only officially open at the weekend.

new topics

top topics

join