It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stunning 'Mirror Pools' Discovered on The Edge of Boiling Deep Sea Vents

page: 1

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A team of scientists from the Schmidt Ocean Institute are right now exploring the deep ocean of the Gulf of California looking at the biodiversity and wondrous sights 1.2 miles down.
One discovery , the hydrothermal 'Mirror Pools' is quite astonishing.

The video below was filmed using an ROV and is in HD so the beauty of the world at depth is shown in its full loveliness , just by picking up one rock they show why we are not alone in either the Galaxy or our own Solar System (I mean critters not Aliens in our Solar System
)

In the alien, extreme environment of the deep, it's remarkable to see life thriving and using the nutrient-rich vents and seeps to keep themselves alive. But it was another geological formation, caused by an underwater volcano, that offered the biggest surprise.

Using the Institute's research vessel "Falkor" and their remotely piloted robotic explorer "ROV SuBastian", researchers were able to discover new geological formations with "mirror-like flanges" -- areas where fluid from hydrothermal vents collected in topsy-turvy pools. When chief scientist Mandy Joye spotted one of the unusual pools her jaw literally dropped.
www.cnet.com...

More Schmidt Institute Videos
edit on 4-4-2019 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Methane on Mars, lot of talk of life around methane on the ocean floor here, very interesting

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Boy, there is a lot of garbage down there. Where is all the garbage coming from. I now see that releasing helium balloons is not a good idea. WEe did it all the time back in the sixties, nobody even thought of what millions of people doing that would lead to. Chinese lanterns are made of plastic these days too. I think this kind of destruction to our ecosystem is very important to address, those big Chinese ships hauling stuff back to China for recycling were dumping lots of stuff years ago, I think, actually I hope, that that is not still going on.

Nice pictures they get with that camera.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Wow! Those are some stunning views. Made me think of two things:

There is water on the bottom of the ocean...

Makes one wonder about what is happening under the ice at Enceladus...

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same... as... it... ever... was!

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Boy Do I love the sea

what a beautiful video , thank you

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Excellent post and info, thank you…….

S&F….

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Fascinating video! The balloons and plastics are quite a concern. Beautiful to see the discoveries of the sea!

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the post. What alarms me is when she says the oceans are warming and losing oxygen thus killing marine life.
edit on 4-4-2019 by lostbook because: Word add

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Beautiful, yet depressing.
We need to clean up our trash. That should be everyone's number one focus right now. We are pigs.

I remember several years ago, one of our customers was shipping millions of dollars worth of equipment to China. It was in those big steel containers, and the cargo ship hit rough seas, and they slid right off the ship into the ocean.

Just think about how often that happens, with god knows what in them.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
That is a fascinating video, it’s like a living art work. I’d happily sit down there, spark up and just watch the show.

posted on Apr, 4 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum
Methane on Mars, lot of talk of life around methane on the ocean floor here, very interesting

I guess cow farts destroyed mars too lol.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
You realize.. its not a "rock"... its an ecosystem!

So lets bring about a ton of these rocks to the surface where none of these creatures can survive. We'll tear apart their corpses and (what we learn from) that will be beneficial to US as a species! Yay Team Us wins again!

(im just being sarcastic. i was half expecting to see a post like that so when I didnt, I decided to make one. maybe someone will agree, and Then we got a real discussion going, hey?)

top topics

join