It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holy crap my cholesterol is high

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Oh no I came from the docter and they said my cholesterol level was 305!
Holy crap! Now I gotta eat healthy food from now on!
No more:w:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I recommend eating a bowl of oatmeal and drinking 4 cups of green tea everyday. High cholesterol with some people can't be dropped with out medication. I hope you are not one of those people.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Does oatmeal lower cholesterol? I didnt know that.
I have a family history with high cholesterol so I hope I can drop it on my own.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I haven't looked into it but my Mother told me about oatmeal. She has high cholesterol and she told me about it.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Well Ill give it a try. Ive also heard garlic lowers it. Ill try that too.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Heh, I'm also taking garlic supplements now.
I'll look around and find some solid info to post here for you.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Mine is too, and there's not much I can do about it. I have genetically high cholesterol, over 300. I exercise and eat pretty well (I have about 9 servings of oatmeal a day in my protein shakes), but theres not much to do other than get on medicine for it. There are some cholesterol lowering supplements, but I don't know if any of them work too well.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Heh, I'm also taking garlic supplements now.
I'll look around and find some solid info to post here for you.

Thanks man

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
Mine is too, and there's not much I can do about it. I have genetically high cholesterol, over 300. I exercise and eat pretty well (I have about 9 servings of oatmeal a day in my protein shakes), but theres not much to do other than get on medicine for it. There are some cholesterol lowering supplements, but I don't know if any of them work too well.

I guess oatmeal is good for you. Ive never heard of oatmeal shakes though. I think Im to young to take medicine though

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't know if you got to drop the :w:.

Barley seems good. I don't know if there is sufficient barley in beer to make a difference or not.

Oats and Barley

In lowering cholesterol, oats and barley have played a critical role. These foods have a soluble fiber known as Beta Glucan, which is the key, in how they lower the cholesterol. To gain the intended cholesterol lowering effect, you have to consume anywhere between two and four cups of dry oat or barley cereal each day.

You can cook with olive oil or use it as dressing.

Olive Oil

Olive oil is one of the mono-saturated fats and studies have shown that it lowers blood cholesterol. Extra virgin olive oil is suggested to be better than other varieties.

Green tea has many useful effects.

It eases the circulation of blood in the body. Regular consumption of green tea can reduce overall cholesterol levels as well as levels of LDL (harmful) cholesterol. A reduction of overall blood pressure and heart disease is one of the most important benefits of green tea consumption and studies have proven that, for those who consume several cups daily, the risk for stroke and heart disease may be reduced by one-half.

Garlic is great too.

8. Garlic.

It's a good source of calcium, potassium and vitamin C, but garlic also can help lower blood pressure and prevent the formation of blood clots.

Links:
www.loweringcholesterol.net...
www.kntimes.com...
www.syracuse.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Eat lentils (red lentils cook fastest, around 25 minutes).
Not only can they lower your cholesterol, they're low calore (230 calories per cup), low fat, slow burning energy. They also can replensih iron stores, and also are a good source of niacin, folate and potassium and B vitamins. Full of fiber, and protein.

Plus, they taste great

If you want, I can give you my recipe for the best dahl (indian lentil soup).
It's great

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Thanks umbrux and parrhesasi. Ill try that stuff. Infact Im cooking some oatmeal right now.

Oh umbrux im from the mediteranean! I eat olive oil all the time! I love it

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56
Oh umbrux im from the mediteranean! I eat olive oil all the time! I love it

Thats good

I'm a big green tea pusher. I have a Green tea thread with more info on that stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I tried green tea at the multicultural day at my school. Didnt like it to much

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well had another bloodtest. Turns out its down to 250 now.

posted on Mar, 21 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Good job
What have you been doing to lower it?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I would be remiss in pointing out that you still need to check out things with your MD.

Oatmeal scavanges cholesterol, use only olive oil and you may still need drugs to help. Cholesterol levels have alot ot do with genetics etc as much as diet.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Good job
What have you been doing to lower it?

excercise and diet!

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
good luck, I hope your cholesterol keeps going down.It sounds like you are on the right track.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Croat, you can also try 'Phyliumm Husks'....it's sold in supermarkets and health shops......make sure you drink lots of water.....2 to 3 litres a day!
Add it in anything.....shakes,muffins,cereal or in a glass of water and mix well.
It becomes gel like consistency when mixed in water (bulks up)
It's a great cleanser for intestinal problems and lowers cholestoral because it's high in Fibre.
Also liniseed seeds(high in omega 3 ) are good.....1 or 2 tsp with water.....or in cereal.....

Garlic is great....

If you like Seafood...avoid it!
very hard to digest......
Fish is ok though........
Avacadoes are also good for you......good fats and lowers cholesterol.

Good luck...

IX
helen

[edit on 7/16/2005 by helen670]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join