It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Robinson dreamt that his opponent would die. He was right.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Sugar Ray Robinson is considered by many to be one of the greatest fighters of all time, if not the greatest.

Ray turned professional in 1940 at the age of 19 and by 1951 had a professional record of 128–1–2 with 84 knockouts.

From 1943 to 1951 Robinson went on a 91 fight unbeaten streak, the third longest in professional boxing history.

Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, and won the world middleweight title in the latter year.

He retired in 1952, only to come back two and a half years later and regain the middleweight title in 1955...

You get the idea but theres more to this story.

Did Sugar Ray Robinson Dream He Would Kill an Opponent?

Sugar Ray Robinson was scheduled to fight 22-year old Jimmy Doyle on June 25, 1947 but just a few days earlier, Ray had a very disturbing dream.

In his dream, Robinson was fighting Jimmy Doyle. Ray lands a devastating strike knocking Jimmy to the canvas. Jimmy lay there, unable to rise.

“I woke up in a cold sweat, yellin’ for Jimmy to get up – get up – get up! My yellin’ woke me up, I guess.

Ray was so disturbed by the dream, that he announced that he was backing out of the fight.

Fight promoters, who stood to lose money by Robinson’s decision, brought in a Catholic priest (some sources say a priest and minister) who sought to calm Robinson’s nerves by assuring him that it was only a dream.

Robinson went ahead with the fight.

In round 8, Ray landed a left hook flooring Doyle. Doyle never regained consciousness and passed away a few hours later...

edit on 28-3-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Boxing isn't a U.S. Sport.

It's a World Sport.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 08:47 AM
link   

☝️ignore troll please

Wow, that is a good example of a premonition! Kinda hard to argue with that one. I find it interesting that he actually made the decision to back out of the fight because of this! And had to be convinced to get in the ring with this guy! I remember my dad telling me about Sugar Ray Robinson when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing bud! 👍 I'm glad for you to be here.

Also find these two things to be pretty interesting, from your link:

Robinson set up a $50 per month trust over 10 years (about $6000) for Doyle’s parents. The money came from non-title fights against “Flashy” Sebastian and Jackie Wilson that year. That sum would total about $65,500 in 2015 dollars.
Doyle had suffered a previous head injury in the ring a year earlier when he struck his head on a ring buckle in a match against Artie Levine. When this fact came to light after Doyle’s death, calls were made for a ban on boxers with previous head injuries in the ring.

edit on 3/28/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Sir, you seem upset. Please drink some juice.

No thoughts on the fact that a man essentially predicted his future in a dream...?

a reply to: 3n19m470

Yah, I dunno what that guy's problem is. I think he needs some water, a cold drink.

Yah, thats pretty amazing.

Actually, I didnt know about the fund he started, thats very decent of him.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Sugar Ray is a U.S. fighter, not a world fighter.

posted on Mar, 28 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Cool story I've never heard about Sugar Ray before.

I've had a couple small dreams that I can say were premonitions but nothing as big as me directly involved with a death.
I would not take my dreams lightly after experiencing something like this.

Good man setting up that trust fund for the family. Be hard to find decent folk like him these days.
edit on 3-28-2019 by Vigilantastrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2019 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Seems like i am dealing with idiots on here.

There is a forum for " World Sports " where this thread should have been placed.

Boxing has been around as a sport for over 2000 years. Just remind me how long The U.S. has been in existence ?

Do Americans think they bloody invented boxing or something.

Just to make it clear, " U S Sports " are sports such as NFL Football, Baseball, etc, which no one else bothers with.

Are we clear now ?

join