It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This can’t be real, no hurricane relief for Americans unless they pledge to not boycott Israel

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The First Amendment protects Americans’ right to boycott, and the government cannot condition hurricane relief or any other public benefit on a commitment to refrain from protected political expression. The US supreme court ruled corporations spending money is essential to disseminating speech, as established in Buckley v. Valeo, limiting a corporation's ability to spend money is unconstitutional because it limits the ability of its members to associate effectively and to speak on political issues.

The whole thing is unconstitutional.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

That's fair. When I see or hear that "quote", I automatically think of the guy who really said it, instead of what the person using it was trying to say.

After two posts I feel I should address the original topic. This law is completely unenforceable and renders itself to be completely irrelevant, and would quickly be thrown out if someone actually managed to get themselves charged for breaking it.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

All this says is that no area can get federal disaster funding if they practice antisemitism.

How common would it be, that everyone in a specific area, all thinks the same? There could be handfuls of people that believe one way, and others believe other ways. Some like the Jewish, some don’t.

I’m having a déjà vu here, I think a similar subject came up a year or a few ago, also about federal help....

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so maybe someone else has posted this:

2016 RNC Platform.

Therefore, support for Israel is an expression of Americanism, and it is the responsibility of our government to advance policies that reflect Americans’ strong desire for a relationship with no daylight between America and Israel. We recognize Jerusalem as the eternal and indivisible capital of the Jewish state and call for the American embassy to be moved there in fulfillment of U.S. law.

2016 Democratic Party Platform July 21, 2016
. . .
A strong and secure Israel is vital to the United States because we share overarching strategic interests and the common values of democracy, equality, tolerance, and pluralism. That is why we will always support Israel’s right to defend itself,
including by retaining its qualitative military edge, and oppose any effort to delegitimize Israel, including at the United Nations or through the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions Movement.

We will continue to work toward a two-state solution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict negotiated directly by the parties that guarantees Israel’s future as a secure and democratic Jewish state with recognized borders and provides the Palestinians with independence, sovereignty, and dignity. While Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations, it should remain the capital of Israel, an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths. Israelis deserve security, recognition, and a normal life free from terror and incitement. Palestinians should be free to govern themselves in their own viable state, in peace and dignity.

There are certain key phrases that AIPAC insists be placed in major party platforms: "support for Israel is an expression of Americanism" "Jerusalem as the indivisible(or undivided) capital of the Jewish state"

The concept of a Jewish state flies in the face of American ideals. That is tantamount to declaring that a state should have and always shall have a particular ruling majority. It just isn't democratic. Lebanon was supposed to be and always be a Christian state. Once the majority demographic shifted, they just quit taking an official census.

What Israel does is allow special people to Immigrate while using certain excuses to keep other people from returning. That's an artificially manipulated majority.

Come to think of it perhaps the U.S. values and Israel values are the same. Hmmm!

But still the U.S. and Israel are two different countries. There is "daylight" between them; thousands of miles of daylight.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Could someone enlighten me as to what is Israels main exports to the states?

Maybe not main export, but olives.

It was, don't know if still is, a practice for Jewish Israeli settlers in Palestine to harvest Palestinian olives, then export them to the U.S. as products of Israel. Any manufactured or grown product that is produced in illegal settlements in Palestine, then sold as product of Israel.

That product misappropriation of Palestine by Israel is what sparked the BDS movement in the first place.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Boycotting something is free speech and the government is infringing on it. Next, they will want an oath that you support ____ country that is not the US.

So maybe the pledge of allegiance will need changing:

"... and to the republic for which it stands
and to ____ and to _____ and let's not forget ___,
one nation, or nations under God, or g.d, or Allah, or Tengri,
indivisible, except in the case of war with one of ourselves
with liberty and justice for all, except for minorities in religio-ethno-states."

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Do you remember the last U.S. government shutdown?

Senate Leader Mitch McConnel(R) wanted to put a bill up for vote. Others said, "No way! We will not vote on bills until the government is re-opened."

Here is the bill:
Summary: S.1 — 116th Congress (2019-2020)

ntroduced in Senate (01/03/2019)
Strengthening America's Security in the Middle East Act of 2019

This bill authorizes assistance and weapons transfers to Israel, and extends defense cooperation with Jordan. It establishes additional sanctions related to the conflict in Syria, and allows states to divest from entities boycotting Israel.

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen United States-Israel Security Assistance Authorization Act of 2019

The bill reauthorizes through FY2028 Foreign Military Financing to Israel. It extends loan guarantees to Israel through FY2023, and authorizes the President to transfer precision-guided munitions to the country.

The bill directs the President to report on steps taken to help Israel secure a strategic trade authorization exception.

United States-Jordan Defense Cooperation Extension Act
The bill extends through 2022 arrangements that allow certain defense articles to be transferred to Jordan on an expedited basis. The bill also directs the President to submit a report to Congress assessing the costs and benefits of establishing a fund to support private investment in Jordan.

Caesar Syria Civilian Protection Act of 2019

The bill directs the Department of the Treasury to determine whether the Central Bank of Syria is a primary money-laundering concern and, if so, impose special measures on transactions involving the bank. The bill also imposes sanctions on individuals providing support for the Syrian government.

Combating BDS Act of 2019

The bill allows a state or local government to adopt measures to divest its assets from entities using boycotts, divestments, or sanctions to influence Israel's policies.
Such measures shall meet various requirements, including those related to written notice and comment.

Details Here

Actions Overview
02/05/2019 Passed/agreed to in Senate: Passed Senate with amendments by Yea-Nay Vote. 77 - 23. Record Vote Number: 16.
01/03/2019 Introduced in Senate

So if this bill passes the House, and gets signed into law, then all 26 or so states that have anti-BDS laws will be free to enforce them.

Now might be a good time to contact your House Representatives.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: rickymouse

All this says is that no area can get federal disaster funding if they practice antisemitism.

Boycotting Israel or criticizing them is anti-Semitism? What kind of whacked out shizz is that?

I don't support giving them or anyone else money, am I an anti-Semite?

There are people who hate the Jewish people in this country, I have known some that do not like the Jewish people for various reasons, some in the past, just because the Jewish people were not Christians. Some Christians believe Jews are evil because of them killing Jesus. People think that only Athiests and Muslims are anti-Jew, but lots of times some of the smaller churches accentuate the Jewish bad. Now I saw a big degree of seperation between the Jews and Christians in my own home town years ago, but the Christians did not attack the Jews, they just did not associate with the Jews. The Jewish people started some businesses in town supplying stuff for the people of our community, so they made quite a bit of money and of course, they got loans easily from the bank with a Jewish person running it.

I never had anything against the Jewish people, in fact, I went and shoveled out in front of their stores sometimes in the winter. They paid decent if you worked decent. Way Better than having a paper route.

Those laws are probably old laws, I feel it may have been some small Christian churches that actually triggered the antisemitic rules to be made in this case. The Christians now around here are not like they were back in the sixties and early seventies. I am sure that what I am talking about actually goes back farther, but I was too young to notice it before the mid sixties when I started shoveling sidewalks and was old enough to notice this kind of stuff happening.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

We should not punish people who have different opinions.

We can disagree.
We can debate.
We can express our own opinions.

But we should never allow our society to be one where "wrong-think" is outlawed.

You're wrong DC...Report back to California to be imprisoned where you will be forced to eat tacos every day to condition you to be friendly to Illegal immigrants, since they make better tacos.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Those laws are probably old laws...

No, they're new.

And you never answered my questions.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Those laws are probably old laws...

No, they're new.

And you never answered my questions.
Are you anti-sematic? I do not approve of our government giving money to Israel, but these laws are not just about giving Israel money. I also think the holocost has been played too long, but know that some people do not like the Jews and if not kept in check, some people would definitely like to stop all of our support and allow the Musslims to destroy Israel. I do not approve of that.

Sure, some of the Jewish leaders have a big head, but so do most of the Muslim leaders. My father used to say that those people wearing turbines over in the middle east were hot heads from wearing those hats.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

some of the smaller churches accentuate the Jewish bad. Now I saw a big degree of seperation between the Jews and Christians in my own home town years ago, but the Christians did not attack the Jews, they just did not associate with the Jews.

There may be regional differences; I grew up in California
The Dispensationalists taught all through the 60s, 70s, 80s, and first half of the 90s that when the Jesus returns, he would save the Christians and kill most of the Jews, except 144,000. At no time did I hear any preacher say to hate, harass, or do violence to Jews. That wouldn't be Christian.

Starting in the mid 90s and early 2000s AIPAC (as an educational group) contacted all the influential Dispensational Christian preachers and gave them free trips to Israel. They were told something that changed their theology. When they returned they started teaching that Jews are automatically saved and that non-Jews are the people who have to have faith in order to be saved. So atheist Jews are still a bit better off than believing non-Jews.

I forgot where I was going with this.

I better just stop before I get completely stupid.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Israel is second only to Silicon Valley in information technologies which is their largest industry. Many "American" companies are simply cut-outs for Israeli corporations and have been since the 1990's.

The economic dynamism of Israel has attracted attention from international business leaders such as Microsoft founder Bill Gates, investor Warren Buffett, real estate developer and U.S. President Donald Trump and telecommunications giant Carlos Slim. Each entrepreneur has praised Israel's economy and invested heavily across numerous Israeli industries beyond their traditional business activities and investments back in their home nations.

en.wikipedia.org...

This is why they don't want anyone boycotting Israel, we have too much money invested in their economy not to mention their information gathering capabilities and the goodies that provides.
edit on 16-3-2019 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Many "American" companies are simply cut-outs for Israeli corporations and have been since the 1990's.

Right. I was trying to remember something about W. Bush era opening of new Foreign-trade zones in the U.S. specifically geared toward advancing Israeli companies. I can't remember which zones specifically, sorry.

In the United States, a foreign-trade zone (FTZ) is a geographical area, in (or adjacent to) a United States Port of Entry, where commercial merchandise, both domestic and foreign receives the same Customs treatment it would if it were outside the commerce of the United States. Another definition of an FTZ states that it is an isolated, enclosed and policed area operated as a public utility, furnished with facilities for loading, unloading, handling, storing, manipulating, manufacturing and exhibiting goods and for reshipping them by land, water or air.[1] Merchandise of every description may be held in the zone without being subject to tariffs (customs duties) and other ad valorem taxes.
Foreign trade zones of the United States

Anyway, there are many of these FTZs in Texas. Maybe why Texas is hot litigator at the moment. I think it must be my nap time; not enough energy to figure out which is which.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Are you anti-sematic?

No, I'm married to a Jew.

I do not approve of our government giving money to Israel, but these laws are not just about giving Israel money.

No, the laws are about not criticizing or boycotting Israel. As an American citizen I'll criticize or boycott whomever I want and the government can go eff itself if it feels otherwise. Some people need to reread the Constitution a few times until it sticks in their moronic heads before they try to pass laws we don't need.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Just so many have background as to what you are dealing with here:

Major exports from Israel:

Gems, precious metals: US$14.9 billion (24% of total exports)
Electrical machinery, equipment: $8.5 billion (13.8%)
Pharmaceuticals: $5.6 billion (9.1%)
Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $5.3 billion (8.6%)
Machinery including computers: $4.9 billion (7.8%)
Other chemical goods: $3.3 billion (5.3%)
Plastics, plastic articles: $2.9 billion (4.7%)
Aircraft, spacecraft: $2.2 billion (3.6%)
Mineral fuels including oil: $1.4 billion (2.3%)
Organic chemicals: $1.4 billion (2.3%)

Major imports into Israel.

Machinery including computers: US$9.9 billion (12.9% of total imports)
Mineral fuels including oil: $9.8 billion (12.8%)
Electrical machinery, equipment: $8 billion (10.4%)
Gems, precious metals: $6.9 billion (9%)
Vehicles: $6.4 billion (8.4%)
Plastics, plastic articles: $2.9 billion (3.7%)
Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $2.6 billion (3.4%)
Pharmaceuticals: $2.4 billion (3.2%)
Iron, steel: $1.73 billion (2.3%)
Aircraft, spacecraft: $1.68 billion (2.2%) Courtesy: WTEx and Forbes

Additionally, Israel produces some of the best systems and applications software on the planet. (Mainly from Tel Aviv)
I am not Jewish, however I work in an industry that relies heavily on the quality products they produce. I find them incredibly pleasant people to work with, and very dedicated. Sure, just like the US, they have problems. The glass house syndrome applies.

Additionally, the ethnic hatred that these people have to endure, especially lately, touches such a raw nerve, that if I were younger and prone to violence, I could have wound up being quite a vigilante.

edit on 16-3-2019 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Voltaire said "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

No 2nd.

That wasn't Voltaire, that was Kevin Alfred Strom.

But people don't like quoting a Nazi, so the quote is falsely attributed to Voltaire online. I do like the quote though, like most everyone does.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Working link to your story.
Texas City Refuses to Give People...

posted on Mar, 17 2019 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Can someone please confirm this is nonsense so I can laugh at myself for getting trolled because the alternative is quite sickening.

Connect the dots between the evangelical Christians in Trump's base and their desire for the Rapture to occur in these times. 'Splains everything.

posted on Mar, 21 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: blend57

Least anyone has forgotten there are a number of laws in a number of states that prohibit doing business with certain....laws generated by opposite political philosophies. ACLU only gets involved according to its slant anyway.

Yes, how horrible of the ACLU to have a slant in favor of the Bill of Rights!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join