It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This can’t be real, no hurricane relief for Americans unless they pledge to not boycott Israel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

So you don't even know what they produce, but you're sure we give them more than they produce?

Come back when you've actually though about this.

link   
a reply to: projectvxn

But you don't mind if the state tells you who you may not criticize or boycott? At least one court case goes against that idea that the state has such power.

link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
Could someone enlighten me as to what is Israels main exports to the states? I think you'll find Israel has many billions more from America than what comes from Israel.

Great point

I wonder how much of the Billions and Billions the US gives to Israel in aid comes back in the form of them graciously purchasing American products?

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

But you don't mind if the state tells you who you may not criticize or boycott? At least one court case goes against that idea that the state has such power.

You didnt actually read my post did you?

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff

originally posted by: EternalSolace
a reply to: IkNOwSTuff

Your link is dead. Further, what in the hell does your quote have to do with anything?

An elected American official just told people if they dont think a certain way they are unAmerican, I would say that has alot to do with many things

Yea a lot of that going around. No reason to let one party have all the fun calling this and that "un-American".

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   

That particular story is from 2017. But, the law seems to be real. The ACLU filed a lawsuit in December 2018:

The American Civil Liberties Union of Texas filed a lawsuit Tuesday challenging a state law that requires government contractors to certify they are not engaged in boycotts of Israel, the ACLU said.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of four Texans, argues the law "forces them to choose between their livelihoods and their First Amendment rights."
It's the second lawsuit this week to challenge the state law, also known as an "anti-BDS" law for targeting those who participate in "boycott, divestment and sanctions" campaigns against Israel. The BDS movement aims to generate economic and political pressure on Israel to end its occupation of Palestinian territories.
House Bill 89, enacted in 2017, prohibits all state agencies from contracting with companies that boycott Israel. When Gov. Greg Abbott signed the law, a press release from his office said the measure showed "Texas' strong support for Israel" and declared that "anti-Israel policies are anti-Texas policies."
At least 25 other states have similar laws. ...

The scary part is 25 other states have a similar law.

As of January of this year there are still lawsuits out there surrounding the law and it seems one of the arguments is over whether the law should apply to an individual:

Seeking to preserve a politically-charged state law that bars governmental entities from doing business with contractors who support a boycott of Israel, Texas officials are mobilizing this month at the courthouse and the Capitol.

In legal filings and legislative proposals, they argue that the law should be applied to companies and not individuals.

But some legal experts say the strategy may run afoul of recent U.S. Supreme Court rulings that expand certain corporate speech rights, raising questions about whether shutting out companies that support the Israel boycott is constitutionally kosher. ...

Here's a story that's a bit weird about it:

For nearly a decade, Bahia Amawi worked as a speech pathologist and therapist for children in the Pflugerville Independent School District, which includes schools in Austin.

She was, to her knowledge, the only certified speech pathologist working for the district who spoke Arabic, which made her indispensable to children whose first language was Arabic. She had renewed her contract annually without incident.

But this year, her contract came with an addendum: She was asked to affirm that she would not boycott Israel during the term of the contract.

So she didn’t sign, and her contract wasn’t renewed. Now, Ms. Amawi is suing the school district and Ken Paxton, the Texas attorney general, in a case that has gained widespread attention. ...

Thanks!
blend
edit on 16-3-2019 by blend57 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

Least anyone has forgotten there are a number of laws in a number of states that prohibit doing business with certain....laws generated by opposite political philosophies. ACLU only gets involved according to its slant anyway.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Voltaire said "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

No 2nd.

Voltaire didn't say that. It was published by Kevin Alfred Strom, an American neo-Nazi Holocaust denier.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Jason79

You learn something new every day.
I do not see it as being anti-semitic in the context I posted it but then again, I am not Jewish.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
All this says is that no area can get federal disaster funding if they practice antisemitism.

We should not be helping people who spread hate.

Israel is one of our allies, the Muslim countries are mostly not our allies. We have some ties with Saudi Arabia and we should not allow disaster funding for areas that support hate of any of our allies. Now, the Muslim countries that we do not get along with, our people can dislike their governments and their citizens that kind of hate Americans. But antisemitism is not good, neither is hating the Muslims from all Muslim countries. We should be able to live in peace, but that does not mean we have to take unvetted Muslims into our country that might mess up our society and taught they have to follow our laws made by our society. No raping women, and all people have freedom of religion and Jhad is not allowable here.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

All this says is that no area can get federal disaster funding if they practice antisemitism.

Boycotting Israel or criticizing them is anti-Semitism? What kind of whacked out shizz is that?

I don't support giving them or anyone else money, am I an anti-Semite?

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:23 AM
link   

This whole boycott Israel thing was started by a bunch of Jew hating pro-terrorist leftists.

I think you'll find many people (including myself) have been boycotting Israel for years because of the actions of Israeli government NOT because they are "Jew hating pro-terrorist leftists" , to suggest they / we are "Jew hating pro-terrorist leftists" is pure ignorance on your part.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

to suggest they / we are "Jew hating pro-terrorist leftists" is pure ignorance on your part.

I take them at their word.

The leftist organizations that put this stuff together regularly support Hamas and Hizballah. That's pretty anti-Jew.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
This is a classic example of anti-free speech.

Boycotting something is free speech and the government is infringing on it. Next, they will want an oath that you support ____ country that is not the US.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

We should not punish people who have different opinions.

We can disagree.
We can debate.
We can express our own opinions.

But we should never allow our society to be one where "wrong-think" is outlawed.

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

Voltaire said "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize."

No 2nd.

Voltaire didn't say that. It was published by Kevin Alfred Strom, an American neo-Nazi Holocaust denier.

Where it came from doesnt make it any less true or any less relevant

posted on Mar, 16 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

We should not be helping people who spread hate.

Israel is one of our allies, the Muslim countries are mostly not our allies. We have some ties with Saudi Arabia and we should not allow disaster funding for areas that support hate of any of our allies. Now, the Muslim countries that we do not get along with, our people can dislike their governments and their citizens that kind of hate Americans. But antisemitism is not good, neither is hating the Muslims from all Muslim countries. We should be able to live in peace, but that does not mean we have to take unvetted Muslims into our country that might mess up our society and taught they have to follow our laws made by our society. No raping women, and all people have freedom of religion and Jhad is not allowable here.

Choosing to buy or not buy a product or service is not hate and you really need to stretch reality quite thin to say it is.

Google USS Liberty to see how good an "ally" Israel is to you.
And the unvetted muslims coming into your country, look at who runs and funds all the NGOs supporting/helping them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join