It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

japan crippled?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
hi i was just thinking if germany was cripled by world war 2 by restrictions why is japan doing so well? from the first world war?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Germany isn't crippled, although they're currently suffering from a slow economy they are still a main part of the European economy.

www.cia.gov...

As Europe's largest economy and most populous nation, Germany remains a key member of the continent's economic, political, and defense organizations.

www.cia.gov...

Japan recovered to become an economic power and a staunch ally of the US.

[edit on 1-3-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain
hi i was just thinking if germany was cripled by world war 2 by restrictions why is japan doing so well? from the first world war?

not quite sure why you think germany was crippled by wwII restrictions its one of the foremost economies in the world at the moment, and has been for quite a while.

after WWII germany was split into 2 parts, west and east, and as i hope you know they were re-unified in 1989. but the west of germany, along with france and UK had help from the US in getting back on its feet as these countries had huge amounts of debt. The US, of course had alterior motives - but you should look up the Marshall Doctrine or the American Blueprint as it was known. In a nutshell, this involved the US lending european countries billions of pounds in exchange for the right for US companies to start doing business in european countries. possibly this was one of the earliest dawns of globalisation.

as for japan, after the war they began to invest in their economy and business. instead of spending billions of dollars on their military they cut their defence spending right down as they decided it would be better spent on making japan an economic force to be reckoned with - and it worked.

so a very brief explanation as to why both germany and japan had the tools to build strong economies after WWII.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I do believe Japan is actuallt barred from having an Army, Airforce and Navy. Thye do of course have these, but call them "defence forces" instead.

They also have a pacifist constitution which bars them from intervening militarily unless attacked.

And finally, I do believe they are barred from owning Gold. Thats why they have one of the world largest reserves of Platinum (which is worth more, so not that bad a move really!)

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
If germany is crippled, it is not economically but morally. No surprise there for the nation of Nazi's

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

If germany is crippled, it is not economically but morally. No surprise there for the nation of Nazi's

What a racist statement! Have you ever been to Germany? I have, lived there for 5 years, whilst my Dad was in the Army, and they are some of the most friendly and appreciative people you could meet.

I think you need to not only retract your statement and apologise, but go away and learn about something before you post.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest

Somebody seems to have forgotten that WW2 has finished and the Nazis lost, Germany is free and democratic the Nazis live on the political extreme where next to nobody votes for them.
Although I've never been to Germany I have spoken to Germans and they are good, hardworking people who take pride in their culture and industry which they have rebuilt from the ruins of WW2.

Try reading a newspaper now and again

new topics

top topics

join