It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ASSUME = ASS out of U and ME

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I've seen some pretty interesting comments over the past couple weeks regarding just about any minority group you can imagine. Gays, Transexuals, Blacks, Jews, Arabs....

ATS, in my opinion, is a microcosm of the world. We have many different people represented here, and one person's ignorant comments may be interpreted by someone else as derogatory. It would benefit some of us to realize this, and treat these people with at least some base level of respect (even if we disagree with them). The anonymity that we have on this website is only an illusion, after all.

Please don't assume that every single member of this forum is white, upper-middle-class, and american. What do some others think?

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Good effort. Diplomacy is needed here.

I've tried to train myself to go against any immedeate assumption I feel towards anything I face. It keeps the mind a little sharper to prepare for anything.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 09:18 AM
link   
It shouldnt make what colour, race, breed etc any of us are, we are all only here for a very short time and we should make the most of what you have.

"Here today and gone tomorrow"

blackwidow

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
And not only that, considering the infinitesimal perturbation on the great eternal timeline our lives represent...we ought to be dedicated to making sure that blip went on the positive side, instead of the negative. After all, the record of most of our lives will not be remembered in a hundred years, so our best bet is to positively affect the ones blipping with us right now. We ought to be trying to leave this place better than we found it....for the sake of the next generation of blips.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I don't give two farts what your color or creed. I'll still wieigh your opinion as a valid possibility unless you say somethingi disagree with. Then, I'll give you my opinion. Dunno what's so hard about that.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Imagine. The cyberspace, the place where everyone is on equal footing and should be dealing with concepts and ideas, is turning into a trash heap, just like the real world.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

I've seen some pretty interesting comments over the past couple weeks regarding just about any minority group you can imagine. Gays, Transexuals, Blacks, Jews, Arabs....

ATS, in my opinion, is a microcosm of the world. We have many different people represented here, and one person's ignorant comments may be interpreted by someone else as derogatory. It would benefit some of us to realize this, and treat these people with at least some base level of respect (even if we disagree with them). The anonymity that we have on this website is only an illusion, after all.

Please don't assume that every single member of this forum is white, upper-middle-class, and american. What do some others think?

I agree with much of this but one does have to keep in mind that the word 'tolernance' is interpreted in many a variety of ways. Also opinions are just that...opinions. If one feels strongly enough, then one should be able to present his opinion, despite the overtone of it. Its just a fact of life. One cannot always maintain a sense of morality or tolerance, etc., in respect of some of these matters....why? Cause some feel strongly 'about' something. All one can do is hope that 'offence' is not always meant nor is it always taken.....tolerence.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
MK

Good call.

"Please don't assume that every single member of this forum is white, upper-middle-class, and american."

I've never assumed these qualities.

I have, however, been guilty of assuming (or more accurately inferring) these characteristics:

* (sometimes) intelligence or analytical ability
* employment status (!)

I like it when I am made an ASS of based on poor inferences. Otherwise, the world would be a pretty boring place.

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 09:01 PM
link   

"Please don't assume that every single member of this forum is white, upper-middle-class, and american."

I am, lol!
(Not so sure on the "upper" part...but I like to think so....) I haven't seen much assumption on that, but it's a good thing to keep in mind....

posted on Jul, 7 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Why am I allowed to say, say ARSE but not ASS in a topic which is all about making ASS ses out of ASS-U-MErs?

Wonder how that bunch of ASS will look.

top topics

join