It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Japan to restrict North Korean ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
In a move that will dramatically reduce trade with North Korea, Japan is going to start requiring that all ships over 100 tons have special pollution insurance. Most North Korean vessels do not carry this insurance. Japan is North Korea's third biggest trading partner and of the 100 ships that visited last year only 16 carried the now required insurance.

news.bbc.co.uk
Japan is to start imposing new regulations on Tuesday, drastically reducing its trade with North Korea.

The rules require all ships over 100 tons to have special pollution insurance - which few North Korean vessels have.

The measure is being viewed as a sanction by Japan against North Korea for failing to explain the fate of Japanese people kidnapped decades ago.

Japan is North Korea's biggest trading partner, after China and South Korea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Japan is quitely imposing sanctions that it has threatened after it became clear that North Korea had kidnapped nationals decades ago. There also it seems been persistent allegations that the vessels were also trafficking in drugs. Its interesting that the ships unload fish and other goods and take back luxury items and cars. Invading the North would be fraught with danger, but starving them out may be the way to go.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Imposing sanctions might seem like a good idea but Japan should be careful not to drive North Korea into a corner.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Would agree. Sanctions have never worked. Just look at Cuba and Big Brother Fidel. Real scary things is that whilst they may not yet have a missile to deliver the missiles, they could conceivably try to indulge in something like the 4th Protocol and level cities anyway. Kim may be just insane enough to try this if he is pushed into a corner. This, I believe should be the reason why this must be resolved urgently. Russia managed a deal with Iran. Perhaps China could try. If all comes to naught, then really, what choice is there but to do something really drastic to them ?

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by rapier28
Imposing sanctions might seem like a good idea but Japan should be careful not to drive North Korea into a corner.

Kims already in a corner of his own making. But should Japan tread lightly just because Kim is nuts? He kidnapped thier citizens among other things. I know that Kim is unpredicatable, but starving him out seems like the only alternative. Negotiating with him does nothing.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Good for Japan. North Korea needs a clear understanding there are rules to follow on the water when in other countries territorial waters.

Dallas

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Just some thoughts.

Do we actually know whether or not Kim is nuts?

Can he just be a leader trying to hold on to his post?

---

I believe that the Chinese leaders are currently facing an internal debate over North Korea. The lobby to support Kim is still strong, especially in the military. I would doubt that they would allow the place to go to war.

They will probably hold off for as long as possible and in worse case, institute control over the DPRK. I'm sure that the China would have some level of control in the DPRK military and could force a coup.

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Has the possibility of Japan wanting to reduce pollution been ruled out already? I mean, here's the country that's actually producing hybrid and proto-typing clean vehicles. What's my country doing? Status quo baby...
I guess we have more air and ground water to muck up before we start considering a clean-up effort. Vote Exxon CEO for head of the Department of Interior! Wohoo!

top topics

join