It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthem. Garbage or do I need it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I’m hoping to hear from some players of the game Anthem.

So by all accounts I’m hearing some very negative reviews for Anthem.
The video game trailers we’ve seen look like it’s a jam packed Online RPG.
An RPG, to me, should have an engaging storyline, driven narrative that you want to discover the next piece of the puzzle and strive for that piece of armour or Excalibur like sword.
If there’s not a decent story, why would I want to grind my levels out, repeatedly fighting generic monsters over and over?
So a good story is important to me. I want to care about the characters. Otherwise, why invest my time?
I’ve heard this game being called another overhyped Destiny disappointment.
But at the same time, I realize hating on games is the new in.
And that what others might not like, doesn’t mean I won’t like it.
But it’s by EA... and that’s a huge deterrent.

So I want to hear from you guys,
Who’s actually played the game?

Is it worth getting or should I wait?
What about bugs?
EA is the release 1/2 working game now, fix issues for the next year, company.

What say you?

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I've been thinking about getting it too.

All the negative stuff I've been hearing was concerning bugs and glitches in the beta/demo versions. Allegedly they were all fixed on the official launch patch.

It does look pretty cool, but it seems a little too similar to Destiny.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I haven't played it but from what I've seen the reaction hasn't been positive , it's an EA game so it's more about monetization than game.
Metacritic has it rating at 60% with reviewers but 3.9 with gamers.

www.metacritic.com...

If you're in to the game I'd say hold off a few weeks and wait for a price drop.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   

I have played it. It is basically a third-person Destiny 2. It is solid for what it is, if that is your thing, but (surprise!) it does not live up to the hype. I am sure that it will grow with time, and will get better as it is balanced and patched, but I do not see myself in for the long haul. Again, it is a solid game, with good graphics and control. If you have a core group of friends to play with, it will probably be more fun.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I would say.. no for now
Perhaps in a years time it will be playable

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ya definitely a lot of negative reviews.
Even one of EA’s own content creators - gggmanlives.
He gets paid by EA to create review videos and what not.
So he gave an honest review and EA pulled the review.

IG is saying it’s trash as well - even after day one patch to fix bugs.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Even one of EA’s own content creators - gggmanlives.

Yeah I read about gggmanlives , he bit the hand that fed him and they cut him lose and deleted his video ... so he re-uploaded it.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   

This review is making me wait at the very least.

Skip to 3:00 to go past preface
edit on 23-2-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Just download Apex Legends...…….....

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   

It is not a RPG. It's a looter shooter.

Yes there is a story. There are some NPCs you can talk to. But they don't really matter. In the end it boils down to flying around and killing stuff.

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
EA saw that Destiny and The Division succeeded by releasing a half complete game with minimal content and broken mechanics. They decided to sell out to an audience that is more interested in character skins and loot crates than content and story.

We all should stop buying these money grabs from corporations and support the true developers that create amazing games.

I just finished Metro Exodus and it was amazing...
But refuse to touch Anthem until they convince me they are offering a game. Not a gambling machine.
edit on 23-2-2019 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterMcKill

I have played it. It is basically a third-person Destiny 2. It is solid for what it is, if that is your thing, but (surprise!) it does not live up to the hype. I am sure that it will grow with time, and will get better as it is balanced and patched, but I do not see myself in for the long haul. Again, it is a solid game, with good graphics and control. If you have a core group of friends to play with, it will probably be more fun.

Ummm...so...no FPS option...?

Even Destiny was an FPS game...I detest 3rd person...except maybe when riding a horse in Red dead II...

I like to look through the sights and scope when firing at something...not at a dot somewhere off to the side...

Guess I won't be wasting any cash on this game then...

It's like racing or flying...put me at the controls first person...not somewhere behind the vehicle...

Another crap game that might have been good...glad I cancelled my preorder when I couldn't get past that damn infinite load for those three days...the game was non-playable...
Now I'm doubly glad I cancelled it if I can't have a first person eyes view...what a joke...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

The playerbase is most likely gonna be dead by then so I don't think it would be worth the wait

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
RIP BioWare.

posted on Feb, 24 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Anthem isn't perfect. No game is released fully complete these days. However it is fun, in my opinion. Don't believe the youtube hatefest though. It seems the majority of reviewers are letting their hate of EA affect their reviews of the game.
It's a looter shooter, if you like those, you'll probably like Anthem. It takes around 30 hours to finish the main story and get to level 30 to start endgame grind. You can do everything except freeplay solo if you like, or you can matchmake four man groups for everything.

Like I said, it's not perfect, it has issues. Bioware is faithfully working on them though, the day one(release day) patch fixed a ton of the issues from the demo. The entire first year of content dlcs is free. You can test anthem out for a full month with ea access for like six bucks or something like that. It's worth it, at least to me. I'm having fun, and frankly, to me that's all that matters.

posted on Feb, 25 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I won’t buy it, but my decision is based more on moral grounds...
It’s EA, also gameplay footage did not impress me.
Looks like the usual copy paste nonsense we get these days.

I’m giving it a wide miss.

top topics

join