It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augmented Reality and the Fashion Industry - Environmental impact

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I wanted to start this thread as this morning I had a thought whilst walking to work !

I thought Augmented Reality could potentially save billions and also save lots of the environment.

Ive been reading how AR can revolutionise the world and in particular fashion because I thought , why bother wearing lots of fancy clothes and paying extortionate amounts to get them and then buying new ones every time

what if you bought one piece of clothing that could virtually be any piece of clothing when viewed by anyone else also including yourself

So you buy AR contacts and you buy a AR base unit jumpsuit or skirt trousers , which has built in AR technology .
So then fashion designers dont actually make clothers, they simply design them digitally , so that you purchase a digital copy of the clothing
which is then displayed on you through AR , so that anyone with AR can see what you are wearing .
if you have AR contacts you can see the clothes you are also wearing.

Clothing is functional to protect us from the elements, then anything else above that is for aesthetic value .
So why not give everyone the survival part as standard, and then you can AR any clothing onto it for others to see.

I know there would be a hit , in terms of revenue for designers etc and fashion labels
but once the switch had been made, we no longer rely on materials and farming to get the materials to keep producing.
We have so much waste in this industry , this would help us go green in fashion!

These articles is all I could find on AR and fashion and its more geared to online shopping so customers are more informed on their selection before purchase. But think with AR clothing, you can change your clothes at the press of a button.

Goto that dinner , and the girl at the same table is wearing the same dress, no problem, check your costume library and change with the press of button.

AR fashion industry about to go Digital

How AI and augmented reality are reshaping the fashion industry

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Interesting, but I don't think I care enough to go get contacts I don't need to boost someone else's ego.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

well aye I was thinking the same this would only apply to a percentage of the population who are bothered about what they look like , but the main point was it can help the industry go green and also reduces our waste !

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
In time, everyone will be augmented. We will all have something that lets us see real and virtual.

I mean, go back 20 years and tell someone that soon, everyone will be trapped in a small device, talking, recording, chatting, ranting, all in a device that fits in the palm of you hand. Where everyone is either in the loop or not interesting.

They'd say you're nuts.

But the reality is, that is exactly where we are. And VR/AR is coming at us in leaps and bounds. Sure, you'll get the fuddy duddies who still cling to their rotary landline, or their VHS... nostalgia will be the link between the then now and the then then.

But AR will be part of everything. Won't be able to go to a store and not have your viewing glasses. You'll be as if walking through a vast chasm of randomness, as everything is labelled and priced in the cloud.

Corner shops will become those dingy backyards where illicit milk and bread are sold for physical currency. Perhaps tea.

But this is where we are headed. Like it or not. We are not so much going to be replaced by the 'net'... but create it to exist.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:34 AM
link   
AR is amazing for the fashion industry.

For example, imagine not having to go out and try on clothing to see what it will look like on you.

With AR the clothing can be put onto your body and you can see what an outfit will look like.

Also with 3d scanning, clothing can tailored to fit you perfectly. No more having to go out to the mall and dealing with the lines.

posted on Jan, 24 2019 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It certainly has many positives!

the ability to express yourself as anything to anyone should really deal with a lot of Identity issues as well
people can just be their avatar without having to go through medical treatments or augmentations .

I was more thinking along the lines of the benefits to the environment, we can save millions in farming materials
we can save millions in distribution costs

reduce the carbon footprint of the entire industry in a flash !

or should I say in the blink of a virtual eye !

top topics

join