It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Just Found Evidence of a Curious Weather Phenomenon on Titan

page: 1

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This was an interesting article because it's always interesting to learn about the climate on other moons and planets.

Scientists searching for signs of seasonal storms on Titan have finally found the smoking gun. A slick shimmer spotted on the north pole of the Saturnian moon is the first evidence of rainfall in the hemisphere - the start of summer in the north.

It's the evidence astronomers have been waiting years to see, since Cassini's arrival in Saturn's orbit all the way back in 2004.

"The whole Titan community has been looking forward to seeing clouds and rains on Titan's north pole, indicating the start of the northern summer, but despite what the climate models had predicted, we weren't even seeing any clouds," said physicist Rajani Dhingra of the University of Idaho.

After carefully poring over Cassini's output, the team finally found what they were looking for in an image snapped on June 7, 2016. The picture came courtesy the spacecraft's Visual and Infrared Mapping Spectrometer (VIMS) instrument, which can peer through Titan's thick, hazy atmosphere to the surface below.

According to their analysis, the region is the result of methane rainfall onto a rough, pebble-like surface, likely followed by a period of evaporation. It's the first evidence of summer rain on Titan's northern hemisphere.

This rain was predicted, but scientists had expected to see it earlier in the season, based on theoretical models, especially since the northern hemisphere is where most of the moon's lakes and oceans are located.

"Summer is happening. It was delayed, but it's happening. We will have to figure out what caused the delay, though."

www.sciencealert.com...

This could have other implications as well because seasons seem to be delayed on Earth in some areas. I grew up in the Midwest and I can remember playing in the snow in October when I was growing up. Today, you don't see a real sustained snowfall until January.

People say this could be due to global warming but what if this delay is something occurring throughout the solar system.

It could point to something happening in the universe.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

For some reason this particular instance is fascinating me more than others of its kind. How cool is it knowing the weather on another planet, well moon.

But you do have a good point, it would be interesting to see if we can track weather on other planets in our solar system and compare regularly.

This is exactly why we need to explore space more often and continue to push for it. It might save earth or well, at least us if things do change drastically.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah, but your results may vary depending on which team of scientists you listen to. According to these folks at North Carolina State University, the rock density of Titan make it practically impossible for there to be any thermal venting in the moon's oceans. Same goes for Ganymede and Europa. Maybe Enceladus, but not likely.

Moon Rocks Too Hard to Allow Life

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

They could be wrong. NCSU isn't the best source in existence. They have some intelligent individuals there, but they let some riff raff publish, from time to time.

posted on Jan, 17 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist
a reply to: Blue Shift

They could be wrong. NCSU isn't the best source in existence. They have some intelligent individuals there, but they let some riff raff publish, from time to time.

You are probably right. I doubt that they hold a candle to the BS gibberish the Yale's or Harvard's have recently perpetrated in the published world.

After all, we HAVE witnessed a coordinated attempt at that ' esteemed academic level' to tell us not to believe truths such as a man with a penis is a female or WE are called the crazy ones or worse.

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I have been saying for years and years that it seems like the months all got pushed back by a month or so. Would there be a day by day temperature chart any where?

posted on Jan, 18 2019 @ 06:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: 5ofineed5aladder
I have been saying for years and years that it seems like the months all got pushed back by a month or so. Would there be a day by day temperature chart any where?

Do you live on Titan?

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Hex caused weather
or
Weather caused hex..

which one, Neo?

top topics

join