It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indigenous Rights Meet AR15s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Monday afternoon would unfold as a battle on Wet’suwet’en traditional territory in the remote mountains of Northern B.C. Militarized RCMP officers carrying assault weapons, backed up by sniper rifles . . .
www.thestar.com...

Permission for a pipeline has not been given by the inhabitants of the unceded territory.

The Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chiefs have by absolutely no means agreed to let the Coastal GasLink pipeline tear through our traditional territories.
unistoten.camp...

Serious violence is threatened.

Chief Na’moks, Hereditary Chief of the Wet’suwet’en, said the agreement is only with RCMP, not Coastal GasLinks.

“All we would agree to today is just the legal order, we would not go beyond that. That is the only reason we had them in. This is not a consideration or accommodation in any way,” said Na’moks.

The Hereditary Chiefs announced a tentative agreement Wednesday, but there were still some details they wanted to finalize before reaching an agreement. One of the details was the Unist’ot’en camp being able to keep the metal gate to control access.

Na’moks said the people at the camp are afraid of pro-pipeline protestors.

“We are worried about the safety of our people. Our people have been shot at before and they firebombed that bridge.”
www.myprincegeorgenow.com...

Trudeau makes it clear he believes the big project, selling fossil fuels to China, does not require permission from the indigenous people. He believes short term financial gain outweighs their rights.

This will develop further. Across the world awareness of the effects of excessive fossil fuel consumption is on the rise.

For many of us, it is time to make a stand.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:14 PM
link   
so it's not just the US who uses the indigenous population for toilet paper? whodathunkit?

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

The corporation will get eminent domain as that seems to be the trend.

Protesters will get arrested on their own land.

And no one will care (I do though as I've been through this with good friends of mine).

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"And no one will care"

welcome to being a Native, all political parties exploit us for their favour

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
And no one will care (I do though as I've been through this with good friends of mine).
Maybe...maybe not. I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: XAnarchistX
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"And no one will care"

welcome to being a Native, all political parties exploit us for their favour

Welcome to being a citizen of any ethnicity challenging those with more money than you.

That's not to say you're not right in the exploitation of your people over time as it's been egregious, but rather we're all in this together, and we all get screwed.

We should all look out for one another, regardless of our differences.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Trudeau is getting it coming and going. Canadian tar sands’ crude production is being quantity-restricted and its nat gas is without a pipeline. DOH!

Here’s a good piece on the situation: Reuters: Canadian Hydrocarbons and Activism

Don’t know much about the Canadian Supreme Court or how much footing the natives have, but I’m all for respecting the borders of a sovereign state.

edit on 13-1-2019 by BeefNoMeat because: DOH!

edit on 13-1-2019 by BeefNoMeat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
Maybe...maybe not. I wouldn't bet the farm just yet.

Didn't realize it was in Canada.... So it looks better for this tribe than if it was the US.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

There was an agreement reached the other day.
Then a couple bozo’s organized a blockade on a bridge about an hour east of here.
They did so not knowing the deal was made....making themselves look even the bigger meatballs.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is one area where I wish the U.S. and Canada had less in common.

posted on Jan, 13 2019 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

having an agreement with "Tribal Councils" is about as much as having agreements with Governments, basically worthless

a tentative "deal" with police, and also asking protection from the police against the Pro-pipe yellow vests as well, which is goddamn ridiculous to ask for protection from police who murder you

posted on Jan, 15 2019 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Something SIMILAR happened in the U.S., when a lifelong politician was involved in a land deal that stood to make him and his pals big bucks.

In THAT case... American citizens with AR-15s and sniper rifles showed up and let Federal officers and local police supporting questionable actions by the Bureau of Land Management that they were willing to have a gunfight against government officials for violating citizen rights.

Of course, boot licking media spun it as something it wasn't.

new topics

top topics

join