It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how wold you handle a work freak out?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If you tell them it was your boss, then you will have just involved yourself into a drama which wasn't your problem in the first place... Why bother? I doubt they'll fire him anyway, and you know he's going to find out you squealed on him.

You'd be better off just saying you don't know who did it, then just move on... imo.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
any advice is much appreciated because tomorrow i am going to have to deal with this.

i will try to make it short and to the point.

in my office is also the tensile machine for pulling samples and a table with broken samples that we have to save. when table fills up the lab dude is supposed to box them and move them to storage.
he has not been doing that so there are a lot of samples.

my boss tells me we have a job starting tomorrow that i have to get involved in and freaked out about it cause technically it is not my job. i used to work the lab and sometimes i fill in but when lab dude is working its not my problem.
now i dont care about getting involved cause i am all caught up.
my boss freaked out though.

so he starts taking these broken tensile samples from the table and dumps them all over the tensile machine base. all over the keyboard to the machine. all over the mouse and chords. on the floor.
took lab dudes safety glasses and smashed them and just left it all like that.

this 1 thing may not sound like a big deal but it is a big deal. my boss has freaked out before. kicks things. throws garbage cans around. picked his chair up and smashed it into the wall and put a hole in it.

it is a big deal because A it is just not cool. definitely not how you handle it.
also a big deal cause the samples are wire tied together with a tag that indicates type of alloy. which furnace it came from. what the heat number is.

with him throwing them around some of the tags fell off so now we dont have traceability on the samples.
this is a problem.

the advice i am asking for is how to handle it.

the lab guy is going to come in to break samples and freak out.
first he will confront me. of course everyone knows i dont behave like this so they will know it is not me.

that is good but i dont want to throw my boss under the bus even though he did it and shouldnt have and even though i dont like him.

my plan is to tell lab guy i dont know but then he is going to email the GM and then it will get dirty.
the GM is a very unreasonable dude.

he also knows i dont behave like that but it is in my office so i will get called up to the high castle for the big what for.

at that point i fell like i need to tell the GM that it was my boss.
right?

i dont want to throw him under the boss but if i tell the GM i dont know who did it then by default i might catch more heat for it.

my 3rd shift guy was on 1st with me all week and he was sitting next to me when the boss freaked out. so i have his eyes too.

in the end there is a very real possibility my boss will get fired over this.
ultimately i would like that to happen but i dont want to be involved in it.

i feel like if my quality process manager or GM asks me then i will tell them it was my boss.
if lab guy or anyone else at my 'level' asks and i will probably either say i dont know or just tell them to talk to my boss.

what do you all think?

thanks

I think you should smile quietly, nod alot, SAY NOTHING (keep smiling at everyone).and don't defend or complain about anything that is not in your control, job description, duties and responsibilities...or your fault.

Sounds like either boss's job or company, or contract is in jeopardy. If you've nothing to do with it....don't get involved....unless forced to.

Only my opinion from a Supervisory standpoint. Good luck

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Do whats best for you and yours....www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Do whats best for you and yours....www.youtube.com...

nice
have not heard that in a long time

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Shrug your shoulders if asked about it Then say i know nothing i just work here , ask my boss

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

If this is happening in the US, then there are laws against it. Especially since it's your supervisor doing this. He is creating a "hostile work environment" it's also "harassment" Here's a link to the law. Maybe you need to speak with someone in H.R. about this situation, and you should probably make a detailed diary of your encounters with dates and times. I hope you can get this resolved.

www.eeoc.gov...

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

For one thing, the guy is not a boss. He may think he is. He is an arse. Throw that dude under the heaviest bus you can find. You don't do what he did.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   

A person in a management position that throws temper tantrums is not an effective leader.

Throw that SOB under the bus, then have the bus back up and do it again.
I’m guessing you work in an assay lab?
As you know those samples are expensive for mines or industry to have them tested.
And it’s not cheap to send the drill back and have the hole resampled.
Very unprofessional for anyone to act like that in the work place.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting predicament.

Given your expressed desires (but also as a senior supervisor myself), my suggestion to you would be...don't initiate anything yourself. (This shields you from your boss if nothing happens to him). When (not if) you get asked what happened by someone lateral to you, tell them you're not going to get involved and leave it at that. If you get asked by someone superior to you, tell the truth. Don't embellish, just answer exactly the question you get asked and nothing more. If you get asked an open ended question, answer with you don't know.

So, for example:

Coworker - WTF happened here? Answer: I'm not getting involved. Go ask someone else.

GM - What happened here? Answer: I don't know, honestly. (because you really DON'T "know" what caused him to go nuts, or anything else about his psychological stability. You're not a medical professional, right?).

GM - Do you know who did this? Answer: Yes, I think so.

GM - Who? Answer: Bill.

GM - Why? Answer: I don't know, you'd have to ask him.

GM - Alright, explain to me exactly what happened. Answer: I know I didn't do it and I'd rather not get involved, I just want to do my job. Bill is a good guy. All I know is I tried to straighten things up as best as I could after the incident. That's all I know. May I go now?

So let's now examine what you've just accomplished by all this:

1. You've shielded yourself from 'payback' from your direct boss.
2. You've answered any questions to management ... truthfully
3. You've insulated yourself against threats from your GM. So, if he threatens to fire YOU if you don't say more than you did, then you have a case for wrongful termination (and if he's smart, he will know this).

Good luck.

ETA - Of course there's always the "Call out Sick" option! LOL!! (just kidding!)
edit on 1/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

thanks for the tips.

definitely cant call in sick.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   

The less you say, the better off you are.

Especially if things escalate to a legal level later. And even then, less is better.

Example:

Attorney - Please tell the Court exactly what you witnessed. Answer: Bill seemed mad about something and started throwing stuff around. That's all I saw.

Attorney - Why was Bill mad? Answer: I don't know.

Attorney (and this one is a classic one) - Why do you think Bill was mad? Your Attorney (before you can answer): Objection...speculation!

Judge - Sustained. Next question, Counsel.

posted on Jan, 6 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   

But...but...you could say you were at a 'Flash Dance' audition!! You know, the one where they dump the bucket of water on your head on stage, as you dance in your underwear?

%Man-iac...MAN-IAC...on the floor....%

(note: i'm just totally joking and being funny, dude! It's no statement other than just fun). Just step back a bit, stay out of it and you'll be fine.

You sound like you're a hard working guy, and dedicated. Just stay that way!

It's a good thing. Just stay out of it.

posted on Jan, 7 2019 @ 04:57 AM
link   

If you are asking for advice here, then things must be stressful indeed.

If I were you, I would be of a mind to rely on being honest about the situation. Yes, your boss is the one that threw his toys out of the pram, and you are left holding the baby, so to speak. However, you said that lab guy had not been pulling the samples out for testing, which is why there was a backlog there in the first place, for your immediate boss to be pissy about. Your boss, and lab guy between them, need to pull their fingers out of their collective arseholes, and actually do their damned jobs. Lab guy needs to be on top of the samples that are present and get them tested and out of the way. Boss man needs to learn to react to things in a helpful and productive manner.

If you tell lab guy that your boss is the one who threw everything all over the place, then its out of your hands. It cannot be the case that your boss gets to act like a baby at work, and have you be his whipping boy. You were not born to take lashes meant for your boss. I would bet that if something happened at your workplace that was your doing and your fault entire, you would stand up and take your punishment. You should expect that your boss is prepared to do the same, nd even if he isn't, especially if he has taken it into his head that pettiness and overreaction are appropriate, he needs a wake up call. Whether that takes the shape of a serious dressing down and an arse kicking from above, or even his removal from the scene entirely, he will not benefit from being insulated away from the consequences of his actions.

You say the GM is unreasonable? I am sure you are right, but it sounds like your immediate superior on site is about as reasonable as your common or garden scat flinging maniac, so really and honestly, its worth nothing to you to protect him from his own stupidity. The fellow has gathered rope of his own accord, firmly secured it about the rafters with a knot of his own childishness and incapacity to deal with stress, carefully wound a noose with his lack of self control, and has kicked aside the stool upon which he had perched to do the deed. There is absolutely nothing you can do about that, because unlike a physical rope, the binding he has used to do himself in with, is woven from his own self loathing and idiocy. If it is to be cut at all, then he must be the one to do it. As it is, if you intervene on his behalf, it will avail you nothing, and teach him only bad lessons about actions, consequences and responsibility.

(post by openyourmind1262 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 8 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
So?????

What happened????

Update?

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
So?????

What happened????

Update?

I’m also curious, update!!

posted on Jan, 10 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   

So, what happened? Any news?

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: LightSpeedDriver

So, what happened? Any news?

I think they may have killed off one of my favourite posters, boss probably blamed it on him and they made tinysicktears
dissapear 😮

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GreenGunther

He was posting yesterday so I doubt he is now part of a motorway foundation. Yet...

posted on Jan, 11 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Damaging property and putting staff at risk, is an instant dismissal in my books.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join