It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI Trying Amazon’s Facial-Recognition Software - Evokes Mandalay Bay Shooting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   

The FBI is piloting Amazon’s facial matching software—Amazon Rekognition—as a means to sift through mountains of video surveillance footage the agency routinely collects during investigations.

The pilot kicked off in early 2018 following a string of high-profile counterterrorism investigations that tested the limits of the FBI’s technological capabilities, according to FBI officials.

For example, in the 2017 mass shooting in Las Vegas carried out by Stephen Paddock, the law enforcement agency collected a petabyte worth of data, much of it video from cellphones and surveillance cameras.

The FBI is Trying Amazon’s Facial-Recognition Software

This is useful tech but it can also be misused. Are we sure we can trust the FBI agents not to misuse it? Like stalking an ex-wife or such. Maybe spying on someone they don't like.

I am sure facial-recognition is already being used to sift through videos, social media and other sources of visual information. I find it interesting that the FBI brings up the Vegas shooting and Implies it is not using facial-recognition yet.

“We had agents and analysts, eight per shift, working 24/7 for three weeks going through the video footage of everywhere Stephen Paddock was the month leading up to him coming and doing the shooting,” said FBI Deputy Assistant Director for Counterterrorism Christine Halvorsen.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Another "Amazon isn't the gov, we pwomise guys!" Bs article.

Peppered with a little "the shooting was totally real guys, we pwomise!"

Uggh

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I thought they said it was a lone gunman so why bother?

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
How kind of them to release absolutely nothing to us as well. Love the government !

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Are we sure we can trust the FBI agents not to misuse it?

With what I've learned about the FBI, especially the last few yrs. No, Hell No! They seem to be the most crooked of the bunch.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

"Amazon's".

Right.

posted on Jan, 4 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
I thought they said it was a lone gunman so why bother?

They want to count how many trips he made to carry that arsenal of weapons by HIMSELF.

"Amazon Rekognition" - really? This German developed? Who is conning who here?

Amazon's one stop shop for all da intel agencies. Spies R us.

top topics

join