It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Safes give a false sense of security for weapons and valuables

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I always hear people say that "You have to keep guns in a safe". IDK the exact reason for each person saying that, if it is to keep others in the house from accidentally using them, keep people from breaking in and stealing them, either/or/both, or what. Well the last thing I need to do if I need to get to a firearm when coming out of a dead sleep (middle of night, someone outside or breaking in), is fumble with a combination lock (digital or dial) or find the key, or do the combo AND use a key. Talk about pointless security.

Now I will say it would be a little different if I had little mischievous munchkins going into places they aren't supposed to be, but that isn't the case. My doors & windows are locked, period. That is to ensure my possessions don't walk out of the house. If someone commits a crime by entering, then that isn't my fault.

As far as safes, I have to tell you the vast majority are more for piece of mind than actual security unless you spend some SERIOUS dough on them (I'm talking of many thousands of $$ for a rifle safe). There are many models that can be defeated with a simple power drill with a 1/4" to 1/2" drill bit in the right place (there are templates to place over the combination pad or dial to show the exact spot to drill). From there you can disengage the safety catch and turn the handle to open the safe, all it takes is a flat head screw driver or even a magnetic tool/screw retriever (those telescoping round ended things that pick up fallen parts in hard to reach areas). There was one major company that made the same mechanism for over 20 years that could be defeated like this (it was a low end model sold in big box stores) but they used the same locking mech in each size case, just a little larger for bigger units.

There are all kinds of ways to defeat safes that I'm not going to spell out online, if you really want to know, the info is out there if you are really interested.

Even locks placed on guns aren't tough to defeat if you've stolen them and have them back at your "lair".. Simple tools will do the job and it's MUCH easier with some more specialized equipment, so if the deterrent is theft and then having "guns on the street", well you aren't stopping any determined person really - you are just putting yourself in a more dangerous situation should the need arise that you need your gun NOW, not in 20-60 seconds.

Imaging the store clerk who was getting robbed, does he get to say "I follow the law and you MUST wait until I unlock my safe and procure my weapon", NO!! He pulls it from the back of his waist/belt and empties his mag into the scumbags chest/head. If a business can do this, a place of commerce that is insured against losses like this, I SURE AS H3ll have the right to do it in my own D@mn house!

So for all you people who harp on locking your guns up, I suggest you think about what you would do if you really needed it and had to fumble to get access to it - oh, whoops, now your dead. Sorry, no time to contemplate, maybe your relatives and loved ones will speak kindly of you at your funeral saying things like "he was a model citizen, always kept his firearms locked in a safe, burred under 4ft of concrete with and eco-friendly cage of scorpions, black widows and vipers sitting atop the door (safe was buried on back facing up) - he just didn't want his firearms to accidentally kill someone."

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I always hear people say that "You have to keep guns in a safe". IDK the exact reason for each person saying that, if it is to keep others in the house from accidentally using them, keep people from breaking in and stealing them, either/or/both, or what. Well the last thing I need to do if I need to get to a firearm when coming out of a dead sleep (middle of night, someone outside or breaking in), is fumble with a combination lock (digital or dial) or find the key, or do the combo AND use a key. Talk about pointless security.

Google biometric gun safe.

For a handgun, actually quicker than opening that drawer by the side of your bed to find your Glock at 3am.

ETA.. and as far as someone getting into my big gun safe, wish them luck... they poured my foundation over it.
edit on 30-12-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

We have a large gun safe for rifles and shotguns and they are all locked up until they are needed. I have two 9mm though that are always easily available unless guests are here. Then, they are put in their own “special safe” and kept chambered.

When I go to bed at night though... my favorite is snug as a bug right under my pillow... unchambered but, up for any task.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Most of my guns are in a fire "resistant" safe along with some cash and silver coins.

I have one gun not in the safe.
A Taurus 38 revolver that stays loaded.
I am not messing with a combination if I need a gun in a hurry.

The gun is in a cabinet above the tv in my bedroom safely away from any little ones snooping around the house. Everyone living here know how to use every gun I own safely.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I keep mine in a nice Liberty safe. It keeps my firearms protected from fire, childrens hands etc...I also carry as does my wife, so quick response isnt an issue.

Its a deterent just as much as locking your windows...doesnt mean someone who really wants in wont just break the window, you dont even have to google how. Dor someone to be prepared to crack a safe, they would need to have prior knowledge that a safe was even there.

Some random break in, will more than likely be stymied by any decent safe. I think theyre an excellent deterent.

I love my big safe

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Most of my weapons are in the safe. I keep a few weapons shaken out in other places. There is always a pistol in my coat pocket, one on the night stand and a long gun in the truck. Make no mistake my wife and I are always well armed.
It’s just how I am. I hope to never use one other than training, but if I do need one, it should be close, clean and ready.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The first rule about fight club, is don't talk about fight club.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

For a handgun, actually quicker than opening that drawer by the side of your bed to find your Glock at 3am.

ETA.. and as far as someone getting into my big gun safe, wish them luck... they poured my foundation over it.

Yeah but is the biometric faster than my 9mm duct-taped to my hand while I sleep at night (and the other hand has snap-in thingy that holds 3 more mgas!). Try beating that. The only problem I've found so far is having to pee at night, but I'm fixing up a work-around for that too!

J/K! I use depends at night

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Things like safes and locks are supposed to SLOW thieves not stop them.

Even our arms vaults in the army didn't rely on the heavy doors or alarm systems to guarantee no losses. They anticipated losses based on the amount of time that it takes to break into the vault and then into the lockers using brute force. Even down to the specifications on lockers and locks to be used.

Gun safes do not guarantee your guns won't be stolen or messed with. I highly recommend the Mr. Locksmith YouTube channel. Nice guy from Canada (but I repeat myself) and very knowledgeable about how to create high security without the BS. He also reviews products including safes made for firearms.

Most of the common consumer safes are extremely easy to break into. He does short work of a few using magnets and other methods.

Here's his Sentry Safe review:

edit on 30 12 18 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof

originally posted by: Lumenari

Yeah but is the biometric faster than my 9mm duct-taped to my hand while I sleep at night (and the other hand has snap-in thingy that holds 3 more mgas!). Try beating that. The only problem I've found so far is having to pee at night, but I'm fixing up a work-around for that too!

J/K! I use depends at night

I was just offering a better alternative to having a handgun in the bedroom side drawer, if you sometimes have kidlins around.

I was really skeptical of them until my uncle showed me one.

It really is quicker than opening the drawer.

However, if you go to the lengths you are going, might I suggest just never sleeping and having a gun in hand while you sit in a chair in the middle of the house... just... ready.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Takes about 2 minutes to break into a safe...any safe.

Takes me about 45 seconds to stop someone from breaking into a safe!

(3) 12 ga (#4 buckshot) rounds down the hall and stairs and about (5) 9mm rounds on the target.

Go for it!

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The vase majority of people breaking into a house will not be able to break into your safe, but the safe is more for fires and to keep things away from kids.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
My firearms are all very safe. They fell out of the boat into the lake. Haven't seen them since.

The only safe I have is filled with sticks and stones.

But yes, most home safes are useless as far as security, at least until you get into the $3,000+ range. The door is very secure, but you can get into the sides with an axe or angle grinder pretty easily.

There are ways to make it much harder to get into a cheap "gun cabinet", but I'm not telling how. Gotta protect my sticks and stones...

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Cutiegirlracing, is that you????

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:19 AM
link   
1 Keep your guns in your safe when you are not home, or when children are present
2 Don't tell anyone you have a safe.
3 Keep your safe hidden. ie. a smaller safe can be covered with a box with the bottom cut out. On the front of the box, write X-Mas.

-------I often keep my Kimber 45 on the night stand when I sleep.
I have 2 pitbulls in the house most of the time, and always when I am away from home. Thieves want to get in, and out quickly, without anyone noticing. Dogs can be dangerous, noisy , and time consuming when wanna be intruders attempt an intrusion .
Know, and practice use of your weapons.
Use deadly force if needed
Its better to be tried by 12, then carried by 6

edit on 31-12-2018 by visitedbythem because: Add Picture

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
If you have firearms, you need a safe. It just makes sense. My rifles are almost all heirloom quality or custom builds and quite expensive so while I'm away from home, they're protected in my safes. My carry is a Kimber ultra carry 2 and it's always within reach so it doesn't need a safe. If you're relying on a rifle for home defense, you need to give more thought about owning a pistol. Also, nobody is going to dolly out a Remington 48 gun safe from my home for one major reason.

A SECURITY SYSTEM!

I have a security system for my home. They cannot come through a window or door without setting off the alarm which is on a backup power system if the power is tripped. The system has two sirens loud enough to keep anyone thief from sticking around. The system automatically calls the police.

A safe is like a security fence or a chain. It will deter some criminals. It works for what it is but if that's your only means of securing your firearms then it's still better than nothing but you should have multiple layers of security.
edit on 31-12-2018 by Anathros because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Most gun owners have more than 1 gun. They have one on their person & the rest locked up in a safe. Not only do I always carry a gun on my person but I always have a round chambered ready to go just in case, otherwise there's no reason to have a gun for sefl-defense. Most criminals aren't smart enough to open a safe even with a key or combination. Most are just junkies trying get their next fix. Professional criminals are smart but they're looking for the jackpot not a small coin collection or a small gun collection. The main reason to lock up one's guns is so children don't get hold of them. Its more practical to hide them around the house if one doesn't have children around. I live 60 feet above ground level in a condo, which has a buzzer to let people in the building & tons of nosey & thoughtful neighbors, so it will be hard for someone to break into my place & no need for a safe.
edit on 31-12-2018 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Takes about 2 minutes to break into a safe...any safe.

Takes me about 45 seconds to stop someone from breaking into a safe!

(3) 12 ga (#4 buckshot) rounds down the hall and stairs and about (5) 9mm rounds on the target.

Go for it!

Takes just 1 round, and 1 second ,with the Smith and Wesson 500- 50 Mag

edit on 31-12-2018 by visitedbythem because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
If you have firearms, you need a safe. It just makes sense My carry is a Kimber ultra carry 2 and it's always within reach so it doesn't need a safe.

It is also the law here in Cali. You are required to have a safe if you are a gun owner. The gun store asked for information, but took my word that I had one. I had bought the safe next door to the gun shop.

Kimber eh?

That's what I have. A Kimber stainless Ultra Carry 2.

How do you like yours?

I have to use quality ammo in mine or it could jam. I really like American Eagle rounds. They never jam. Really tights specs on Kimber fire arms....

edit on 31-12-2018 by visitedbythem because: sp

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: Anathros
If you have firearms, you need a safe. It just makes sense My carry is a Kimber ultra carry 2 and it's always within reach so it doesn't need a safe.

It is also the law here in Cali. You are required to have a safe if you are a gun owner. The gun store asked for information, but took my word that I had one. I had bought the safe next door to the gun shop.

Kimber eh?

That's what I have. A Kimber stainless Ultra Carry 2.

How do you like yours?

I have to use quality ammo in mine or it could jam. I really like American Eagle rounds. They never jam. Really tights specs on Kimber fire arms....

I like mine alot. Truth be told, I went in to buy a Colt defender and walked out with the Kimber. I've yet to experience a malfunction with it. Been so impressed with the Kimber that there's a micro 9 in my gf's purse instead of the Glock 27 I bought her.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join